BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I am trying to spruce up my 1997 Z3 (Atlanta Blue color), with several projects. I'm new to the site, and bowled over by what a fantastic resource this forum, and you all, are!! I've learned so much already in a short time -- thank you!!!

One of the issues I want to address is worn patches on my tan/beige leather seats. See pictures attached. Reading posts, I see amazing DIY results by people on here who have gotten kits from www.leatherique.org. I'd like to give it a try on my seats!

Leatherique has a COLOR page on their site -- http://leatherique.org/bmw.htm

Any advice on which color on the leatherique color page is the right one for the '97 Z3 tan leather seats I have, and what are the right products to order?

Visually, looks like the following ones are closest:
0521 - light sand
0526 - LT natural
2351 - pearl beige
0525 - LT parchment

Any other tips and advice on this project would be GREATLY appreciated!! That includes "how-to" and on which products to get (such as specific Leatherique kit or items to order).

Since the condition of these seats is not absolutely horrible, I'm hoping I might not have to remove the seats to do this.....Thoughts?

NOTE: there is also an annoying RED INK stain on the passenger seat, deeply embedded, I really want to get rid of. It's about 2.75 inches by .5 inch in size. I can post another pic for that. It's another reason I'm considering doing this project. Ideas for removing the stain would also be appreciated.

On pics, for some reason, the site is rotating the jpg files I uploaded to the wrong orientation, and I don't know how to change that. That's not how they were taken, or how they appear on my computer. Anyone know how to fix that too?

Thanks in advance!! :)

Attachments

·
Registered
12,435 Posts
your vin will tell you the interior color option. i have not used this product but several people have with anything from good results to great result to everything in between.

prep is key (isn't it always??:dunno:), and depending upon the initial starting condition of the seats, you may need to do some seriously heavy duty reconditioning. i'd start by checking in with some restoration shops and see what their take is. they may say that going darker may help in hiding the stain, they may say the base of the leather is too far gone.

df

·
Registered
314 Posts
Your other option is to cut a small swatch of seat material from somewhere hidden, send it to Leatherique and have them do a color match. You don't have to guess what color sample matches, just have them match the finish to your seats.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Interim Update on "Leatherique" Project

Thanks for the feedback from everybody. Progress has been made! Some research was necessary, but most helpfully, I've learned the BMW manufacturer color code for my 1997 BMW Z3 interior is Q3SN. I'm told this is "SAND BEIGE" color. I learned this from BavAuto.com after making orders and giving them my VIN number. According to the website that follows, the pebble-like inserts in the middle and side panels are "OREGON" texture/style: http://users.belgacom.net/bmw_z3/bmw_z3_interior.htm

I've been in touch with the Leatherique people -- a family owned business from its inception, which is cool. They are quite helpful and responsive. I ordered Leatherique Rejuvenator "Oil" and the Prestine Clean product, and applied for a few hours in the sun this last weekend. Leatherique's owner has hence told me I should do multiple coats/treatments, and apply dye to the worn areas. They said they have the exact manufacturer color match for the leather, so looks like that won't be a problem. I haven't ordered that yet.

After a somewhat short treatment of a few hours, definitely some aspects are improved. Others in some ways may look worse, but I think that's because defects surface during the treatment. That is some cracks on the more worn driver's side have become more prominent and "dirty" after treatment, and the worst worn area turned greyish rather than white after treatment. Other cracked white areas visible before significantly improved. I'll try to update after further treatments. I have faith this is going to bring some real improvement ultimately. Some further pics attached. Most taken after treatment. Sorry, it's again rotating the pics after the fact to the wrong orientation after I upload.

P.S. I exaggerated on the size of the passenger side ink stain. Guess it's because it just bugs me! We'll see whether trying to "spot" dye it may help.

Attachments

·
Registered
94 Posts
I am very interested to see how this turns out. I have the same interior and the same issue on the bolster of my driver side seat.

Did you apply the dye to the worn areas after you did multiple coats of the Rejuvenator oil? Would love to see pics of how it came out.

Thanks!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts