BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Is it Trackday yet?
8,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Folks -
I just finished up an interior detailing of my black leather with Leatherique. I'm sure most of you have heard about the stuff. Well, after working with it, I have to say I'm very impressed!

My car is 4 years old and spends all of it's time in the garage, unless it's being driven. Never parked out in the sun or elements unless I'm away from home over night. I'd guess at most it has spent 2 months out of 4 years somewhere else overnight. Pampered? Maybe.

Where my car gets "well used" is when I'm at track events. These places are always in the dustiest, hottest, and driest locations in California. We drive with windows down rain or shine. As such, there is a good amount of dust and grit that makes it's way into the car, along with insect splatters and other flying objects. FORTUNATELY I've never had an agricultural excursion at one of these events so my interior has never been dust bombed in that way.

Historically I've used Lexol to treat the leather, once or twice a year. Being one who tries first, reads directions second, I'm pretty sure I clogged up the pores of my leather with too much Lexol conditioner. It was feeling and looking a bit tired, but nothing extreme. The rear head rests and seat back tops were a little more "crunchy" than other places.

Enter Leatherique! I've read about this stuff, seen the impressive restoriation pictures, and last year they had a sale on the Rejuvinating Oil/Pristine Clean combination so I got a pair of 32oz bottles. This past weekend we had some 80 degree weather and I had some time and ambition, so I set to working on my interior.

The tutorials are around so I won't get into detail, but basically I wiped down the leather with a damp cloth, vacuumed out all the dust and grit from the crevices, parked the car outside, put some old towels down on the floor, rear deck, and center console, soaked all the leather surfaces with RO, and let it bake for 24 hours. To keep direct sun off the leather during this process I put a moving blanket over the roof to block it out during that time of day, then removed it once the angle was good again. The morning of the 2nd day I surveyed the situation and reapplied more RO to the spots that had dried. This was an indication to me that it needed more nourishment.

At the end of the 2nd day I got to cleaning up the RO with PC. In this step you soak the interior again, let it sit for 10-15 minutes, agitate the surface with a soft damp cloth, then using a bucket of warm water and more clean cloths, rinse and wipe everything down. I probably spent 4 hours or so total working thru both steps.

I have to say I didn't think my black interior was going to show any real gains, but I was dead wrong. The water I used was clearly dirty after working on the seats, something you can't see on black interior. After letting it dry over night I went out to have a look and what I found was an as-new look, smell, and feel to my leather. Pictures won't do it justice, but if I could upload a smell and a feel file, I would. It's very soft to the touch again and smells just as it did the day I took delivery. There's no glossy or artificial sheen, it just looks and feels healthy again. Well, as healthy as dead cow can look and feel.

Once I finish cleaning up the car I'll take some pictures outside and add them to this thread. I didn't do any before pics because I didn't think it looked all that bad, but now I wish I had. Even though there wasn't any real issues, there is definitely a difference.

If you're on the fence, don't be. They're having a sale right now, so get some of this stuff ordered up and have at it. Get the 32oz bottles because you'll overdo it the first time and you'll want to make sure you have enough product to get the job done.

·
In my own cars again
1,402 Posts
:thumbup: Subscribed and waiting for the smell and feel file!

Nice job!

·
Keeping it surreal
43,205 Posts
I have Alcantara/cloth, but after reading this review, I`m ready to rub this stuff all over my body.... :)

·
Is it Trackday yet?
8,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Living Life At The Beach
3,809 Posts
Based on your review, and those beautiful pics you took, i'm ready to dump my leftover Lexol and get some of this stuff. I wonder if this stuff could bring my old skin back? Two questions: How many miles are on your car? Are you sure you don't work for the company? You are one hell of a salesman! And this comes from an old salesman himself. Nice review!

·
In my own cars again
1,402 Posts
Wow - I'm really hooked on the cloth/alcantara as well, though seeing your seats makes leather look attractive again.

Also - is that the stock ZHP shift knob? Maybe it's just the angle, but it looks lower/stubbier than mine..... Do you have a shift kit in there, or am I just picking up a funny angle?

Anyway - nice pics!

·
TheMalibuMafia
12,882 Posts
It looks brand new... damn man.
Very long process but seems to be rewarding. Doesn't seem to expensive to do this either.
I would probably guess re-dying the leather would be MUCH harder. But the basic stuff looks very doable and rewarding!.
I'm gana think about this:) cuz my car is quite old and needs lovin on the leather.

·
Is it Trackday yet?
8,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Based on your review, and those beautiful pics you took, i'm ready to dump my leftover Lexol and get some of this stuff. I wonder if this stuff could bring my old skin back?

Two questions: How many miles are on your car?
55,9xx as of this afternoon. I'm never more than two people in the car and I haul four race wheels/tires in the back seat to/from track events. The car gets used cuz that's why I bought it!

Are you sure you don't work for the company? You are one hell of a salesman! And this comes from an old salesman himself. Nice review!
No, I don't work for them. I do however like to share when I find a product that works as advertised and exceeds my expectations, and this one does both!

Also - is that the stock ZHP shift knob? Maybe it's just the angle, but it looks lower/stubbier than mine..... Do you have a shift kit in there, or am I just picking up a funny angle?

Anyway - nice pics!
Thanks. It is the stock ZHP knob, but I have a UUC Evo 3 short shift kit, so it is lower than the stock shifter would be. It is height adjustable, but I like it where it's at.

my car is quite old and needs lovin on the leather.
I think it will clean that off too, not sure though. :angel:

I guestimated at how much time I spent, but being the first time I used it, I was careful and sorta feeling the process out. Next time, as long as I don't wait another 4 years, I can probably get away with just the PC step. I figure if you keep it clean more often, you won't need to RO it.

·
17,965 Posts
I have Alcantara/cloth, but after reading this review, I`m ready to rub this stuff all over my body.... :)
My hands do feel smoother than a baby's butt when I'm done with the session.

·
17,965 Posts
Based on your review, and those beautiful pics you took, i'm ready to dump my leftover Lexol and get some of this stuff. I wonder if this stuff could bring my old skin back? Two questions: How many miles are on your car? Are you sure you don't work for the company? You are one hell of a salesman! And this comes from an old salesman himself. Nice review!
It won't do any miracles.
Just set your expectations right.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Great review and the pictures shows the results well. Does the cleaner also work with the rest of the leather parts through out the car?

·
Is it Trackday yet?
8,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Great review and the pictures shows the results well. Does the cleaner also work with the rest of the leather parts through out the car?
I used it on all the leather, door panels and steering wheel too. You just need to be careful when spraying it that you don't soak the speakers or switches. For neat work I used a sponge soaked in the stuff to apply it.

·
ROLL TIDE!
23,956 Posts
Other than missing an arm rest, your interior is exactly what smolck dreams about......one day, one day!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts