BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2011 X5 35d with close to 200,000 miles on it. I've noticed the xenons getting dimmer. Are there any LED conversion kits available from reputable companies? A quick search does not come up with anything, so I'm thinking nope. But thought I'd ask here before I replace with the OEM.

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 105K miles NOKIAN WR G3 20K miles
20,937 Posts
Ten years is a good estimate of lifetime for HID, but dimming is not a symptom of aging. Symptoms of HID aging are color shift and flickering.

An HID is a short-arc lamp and once the arc is burning it is quite bright. If ballast voltage were to decrease due to aging then it would not be able to maintain the arc rather than dimming. If the arc extinguishes then the igniter fires to reestablish the arc that one sees as flickering.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Doug, I was thinking that some of the gas diffused out of the bulb, so that could lead to dimming. Btw, I spent 8 years in the nuclear industry. My cousin is also a former nuclear engineer. We experienced nothing but decline, and other US plant project disasters, such as VC Summer. I am in IT now.

·
Registered
7,224 Posts
Replace bulbs.
Problem with LED conversions is that light is seriously diffused. I would replace bulbs and call it a day. If you want bit more light, go LED fog bulbs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts