Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a 2003 BMW 530i(E39) and the passenger tail light LEDs are not lighting up. This car has a crazy amount of bulbs and LED's for a tail light. I think there are three bulbs and the LED's??

So, the blinkers work and I believe the brakes work, but when you turn the lights on at night, the rear passenger side tail light doesn't light up which looks to be the LEDs part of the tail light. I tried to search the internet and couldn't find anything on changing the LEDs or ballast or how to fix it without having to replace the entire tail light, so thought I would ask here. I'm really hoping I don't have to replace the entire tail light assembly. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks...

Gene

·
Jerome
77 Posts
Check that you have power to the tail light, the wires are known to break at the hinge of the trunk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, my daughter has the car, but will try that once its at home. Really hoping that its the wiring, if not, does that mean replacement of the entire assembly?

·
Registered
156 Posts
I don’t think I’ve ever read about the rear LEDs failing so you’d have to be pretty unlucky. Plenty available on eBay and pretty cheap compared to the stupid prices facelift headlights fetch so not the end of the world even if they are knackered.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
78 Posts
There are 3 small LEDs soldered on a circuit board inside the tail light assembly, however, I don't think they can be reached without cutting some of the interior black plastic off. If you are getting power to all connectors, perhaps try to find a used tail light assembly. They are pretty easy to find on CL or that main auction site.

Good luck!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Took out the light assembly last night and the LED connector was really corroded and took a LONG time to disconnect it. Once it was disconnected, it was so rusted it broke some pins into the connector, so look like new assembly for me. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts