BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my '85 318i in for an oil change the other day (I normally do it myself but work has me strapped for time) and they said my left outer tie rod is loose....which explains the new rattle I'm getting in my steering wheel when I go over 60 MPH. He asked if I was going to replace it myself, which made me believe it is something I can do on my own. After a little research I'm beginning to believe I can, but I wanted to ask you guys first to see how difficult it is. Will I need any special tools? The part is only about $20, so I would really like to save some money and do it myself if I can (the repair shop wants $100 to replace it). Let me know if you guys have any experience with this and also if you have any tips on how to make the job easier.

In addition, he said my rack is leaking, my right rear wheel seal is leaking, and my alignment is off. Poor car is driving down the road barely able to stay straight anymore!

· livin large
7,613 Posts
they arent too hard. youll need a hammer or a fork to remove the old one, then its just a matter of spinning it off. but do both side, then youll have to do a broomstick alignment until you get it to a shop. basically locate the steering wheel to center position, then lock it. when you get the tires back on from changing the tie rods, measure from the center tread to center tread on the front tires at the highest points possible on the front and back side of the tires. you want the measurement to match and thatll at least get you by for a few days until a pro can do it properly

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.