BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
totally
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, a little chilly this morning and I noticed that though my right side mirror defrosts as normal, the left one no longer heats up and defrosts. Before I replace the mirror element is there anything else I need to try?

Is there a fuse or something that could be blown or disconnected?

TIA :)

·
Registered
15,587 Posts
Pop the mirror out with your fingertips and check for voltage on the backside when it's cold. If 12V there, the element is burned out. Pull one lead, and measure resistance. If open, you know what to do.

Consider getting a convex mirror for the left side. Better blind spot coverage.

Aspheric mirrors have a good bit of distortion:

P/N 51-16-8-119-724 (up to 9/97 - $55 from PacificBMW)
P/N 51-16-8-250-438 (9/97 and later - $45-$55 from PacificBMW)

Or, use the right-side mirror, mounted upside-down: 51 16 8 119 715

·
Registered
15,587 Posts
Of course not. It's bonded to the backside of the mirror.

·
Registered
7,547 Posts
Pop the mirror out with your fingertips and check for voltage on the backside when it's cold. If 12V there, the element is burned out. Pull one lead, and measure resistance. If open, you know what to do.

Consider getting a convex mirror for the left side. Better blind spot coverage.

Aspheric mirrors have a good bit of distortion:

P/N 51-16-8-119-724 (up to 9/97 - $55 from PacificBMW)
P/N 51-16-8-250-438 (9/97 and later - $45-$55 from PacificBMW)

Or, use the right-side mirror, mounted upside-down: 51 16 8 119 715
Ed, I think the prices you are quoting are perhaps from a few years ago? Crown and Tischer both quote around $80....and they are usually right in line with Pacific's pricing.

·
Seek to understand,^Value
25,199 Posts
They defrost? I didn't know that. How come mine fogs up all the time? (duh ... if it defrosts, and mine doesn't ... then it must be broken).

Note to self ... check if it defrosts next time it's foggy in the Silicon Valley.

·
Freude am Fahren
2,400 Posts
They defrost? I didn't know that. How come mine fogs up all the time? (duh ... if it defrosts, and mine doesn't ... then it must be broken).

Note to self ... check if it defrosts next time it's foggy in the Silicon Valley.
Defrost feature has three heat settings, and is controlled by the ambient temperature sensor. You will have to wait for a cold day in Silicon Valley.

·
Registered
12,459 Posts
Damn! So how does one go about getting the defrost heater fix? Thanks.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=DD53&mospid=47585&btnr=51_4214&hg=51&fg=10
You kinda lost me...what are you asking? Defrost for your windshield or are you still referring to the side view mirror glass?

The link you posted is to the mirror HOUSING...and not the mirror glass. What is being suggested in this thread is to replace the items in the diagram below...#4 (plain heated mirror glass) or #4 (aspherical heated mirror glass)

This is what #1 (the aspherical mirror glass) looks like installed...you lose the 1 to 1 magnification (so you won't be able to check out the hot chicks like before)...but you lose that big blind spot on your left side. You have to get the BMW part nbr from the EURO side of the part database (so click EUROPE instead of USA) or use the numbers the forum members posted above. You may also be able to find these mirrors on eBay for significantly less money. You can see how the car can be seen as it travels past me on the left...it is never out of view...but the time the rear end of the car is leaving the "bent" part of the mirror...you can clearly see the front end of the car (in your field of vision) to your left:

·
Registered
4,009 Posts
Ok, So from all the info I gather that the heated element comes with the glass? I just orderred one hopefully my assumption is correct.

Sorry but I don't like the Euro's one, I was in the Netherlands last month I couldn't get used to the magnification:(, You guys have to get a little older order to understand what I mean:).

Thanks again Qsilver.

·
Registered
12,459 Posts
Ok, So from all the info I gather that the heated element comes with the glass? I just orderred one hopefully my assumption is correct.

Thanks again Qsilver.
No problem...glad I could help. And to answer your question...you need to check your part # to make sure you ordered the "heated" mirror glass. They come UNHEATED as well...so make sure the description states that they are heated. :)

BTW...it only took a couple of weeks to get used to the different magnification...after that...the only time I miss the 1-to-1 is when I'd like to "check" something out that you just passed (hot chick, car, etc)...and the magnification is too much and by the time you can see it in your interior rear view mirror...(she's) too far away. :(

Bluebee said:
They defrost? I didn't know that. ... Note to self ... check if it defrosts next time it's foggy in the Silicon Valley.
Blue....next time you're in your car and the ambient temps are down into the mid to low 50s...just roll down the window and touch the mirror glass with your hand/fingers....the mirror should be "warm" to the touch. If the glass is cold...then the heating element is probably toast (oops...not a good analogy since toast should be warm) :D

·
Registered
4,009 Posts
No problem...glad I could help. And to answer your question...you need to check your part # to make sure you ordered the "heated" mirror glass. They come UNHEATED as well...so make sure the description states that they are heated.
I just went to Tischer web-site and ordered it using pull down the menu. I hope it will come heated, but sucks if it comes unheated.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts