BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
View attachment 580173 Hello all. I have a 13 535xi, this weekend I noticed after I parked the left turn signal was lite, not blinking, just lite. I turned the car off and back on and the turn signal went out. Thought it was a fluke. Today, noticed the same thing on the way home when I pulled up behind someone and I can see in the reflection. When lite, it doesn't flash. I do not know when it turned on, but only the left turned signal was lite. When I got home, I confirmed that both turned signals still work. No dummies lights are lite and dash. Any suggestions on what this can be?:dunno:

I took pictures to take to the dealership because I know when I go, they may sing the we could not recreate the problem song.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
When you exited your car did you touch / hold down your turn signal stalk? Read your owner's manual - it's a feature that allows you to leave certain bulbs lit when parking your car on dark roads.

·
Premium Member
2018 540i MSport
8,798 Posts
When you exited your car did you touch / hold down your turn signal stalk? Read your owner's manual - it's a feature that allows you to leave certain bulbs lit when parking your car on dark roads.
+1. True "parking" light. You press the turn signal lever down (left) or up (right) after shutting off the car. This turns on only the parking lights on that side of the car. You turn them off by just pressing the lever again in any direction.

It is simply amazing that nobody seems to read a manual anymore. So many people are posting of "cool" or "hidden" features, that if they just spent an hour reading through the pages, they would know all the great things our cars can do.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both for taking the time out of your busy day to grab a tissue to wipe my nose because you must think I could not do it for myself. But if you read my post CAREFULLY I said I noticed it again while I was driving. Yes. I am well aware of that feature, but this has NOTHING to do with that. I can turn the parking lights on for either side when needed, but that does not include the turn signal lamp.
Don't believe me...Try it for yourself.

So, if you do not have any insight/suggestions on why just my drivers side turn signal lamp is staying on you can go assume some else has not read the owners manual or does not know any other cool thing their car can do.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Thank you both for taking the time out of your busy day to grab a tissue to wipe my nose because you must think I could not do it for myself. But if you read my post CAREFULLY I said I noticed it again while I was driving. Yes. I am well aware of that feature, but this has NOTHING to do with that. I can turn the parking lights on for either side when needed, but that does not include the turn signal lamp.

So, if you do not have any insight/suggestions on why just my drivers side turn signal lamp is staying on you can go assume some else has not read the owners manual or does not know any other cool thing their car can do.
Most likely a bad module for any number of reasons. Just take it in with your pics. If you can capture it on video, that's even better.

·
Registered
39 Posts

What an asshole you are. These two guys tried to help you out, and this is the response that you give them. I'll tell you what......take your problem and go stick it up your ass. It's people like you that give BMW drivers a bad reputation.

·
Registered
912 Posts
What an asshole you are. These two guys tried to help you out, and this is the response that you give them. I'll tell you what......take your problem and go stick it up your ass. It's people like you that give BMW drivers a bad reputation.
Man, that was harsh. Overreact much?

In fairness to the OP, he/she took the time write a specific problem and even posted pictures. Though it's obvious that it's not the way the lights will look with the roadside parking lamps on, they got reprimanded for not reading the manual when they just asked for help and knew that it wasn't normal.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I took my car in today. I was told after a 1 hour diagnostic they were able to duplicate the issue and the turn signal did come one. They did not find any faults for the driver headlights or the LED modules for the turn signals. They said they checked the operation of all the lights in the car and found that they work correctly. An adaption process was performed and all faults were cleared.

All that to say, when I went to get my car as soon as I turned on the lights and the turn signal light was still on. The service manager came out and said he had never seen this issue. He took a picture with his phone, said he would do some more research. Instead of leaving my car over the weekend will drop it back off on Monday. And so it continues.

·
Registered
4,147 Posts

Has anyone ever told you that your attitude might be limiting your altitude? I'd write more but I'm too busy

·
Registered
39 Posts
Man, that was harsh. Overreact much?

In fairness to the OP, he/she took the time write a specific problem and even posted pictures. Though it's obvious that it's not the way the lights will look with the roadside parking lamps on, they got reprimanded for not reading the manual when they just asked for help and knew that it wasn't normal.
Say what??? The OP asked for "help" with a problem with his headlights. Two people took the time to respond to the OP, but the OP didn't like their answer so he gave some smart ass, condescending reply.

I don't know where you are from, but when someone takes the time to try to help me out, I say thank you regardless if I like their answer or not. No one should ever be "REPRIMANDED" for trying to help someone out regardless if the info is accurate or helpful enough.

And no, I wasn't overreacting by calling the OP an asshole. He should apologize to the two gentlemen that tried to help him out.

·
Registered
912 Posts
I took my car in today. I was told after a 1 hour diagnostic they were able to duplicate the issue and the turn signal did come one. They did not find any faults for the driver headlights or the LED modules for the turn signals. They said they checked the operation of all the lights in the car and found that they work correctly. An adaption process was performed and all faults were cleared.

All that to say, when I went to get my car as soon as I turned on the lights and the turn signal light was still on. The service manager came out and said he had never seen this issue. He took a picture with his phone, said he would do some more research. Instead of leaving my car over the weekend will drop it back off on Monday. And so it continues.
That's good that they were able to duplicate the problem so they can hopefully fix it. Usually any weird issues with mine never happen when I'm at the dealership and no faults found. Good luck on Monday.

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
say what??? The op asked for "help" with a problem with his headlights. Two people took the time to respond to the op, but the op didn't like their answer so he gave some smart ass, condescending reply.

I don't know where you are from, but when someone takes the time to try to help me out, i say thank you regardless if i like their answer or not. No one should ever be "reprimanded" for trying to help someone out regardless if the info is accurate or helpful enough.

And no, i wasn't overreacting by calling the op an asshole. He should apologize to the two gentlemen that tried to help him out.
+1

·
Premium Member
2018 540i MSport
8,798 Posts

Was it BMW of Rockville? If not, you might want to try them if your dealer can't fix it. Not sure where you are located in MD. I had a weird case in my previous 2011 535i, and then realized the headlight switch is not a "direct connect" to the actual circuit. All of a sudden, just before a trip, my headlights would come on even with the switch in the "off" position. Luckily, they went off, as usual, with the ignition. Never got it diagnosed or fixed, I think it happened twice. But, that did lead me to the belief that our electrical systems are even more complex than we would imagine, when a switch for a specific device does not control it directly.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Not resolved as of today.... I took the car back to BMW of Catonsville on 11/15 to have them hopefully resolve this issue. Rockville will be next in Catonsville can't get this right. After having the car all day, I was called to say they were not able to duplicate it, but since they did see the issue the previous times I took the car in they suggested replacing the headlight module to see if that fixes the issue. My service advisor said the price would be $945 and they had contacted BMW of North America and they are going to eat the majority of the cost, but I would be responsible for $375.
When I asked what happens if this does not fix the issue, I was told they would need to do additional diagnosis. But I would still be out $375 on something that may or may not fix the issue. Not a leap of faith I am willing to take since the Service Manager has told me he is never seen this issue.
I called BMW of North America to see if they would cover the whole bill. I called on Tuesday, I don't know how long it usually takes to get an answer back, but I will call tomorrow to see if a decision has been made.
The advisor I spoke to was quick to point out to me to the CPO warranty and even started ready the items not covered. When she realized this was not a blown buld, she quickly changed her tactic and went a different route.
And to make matters worse, I need to show my badge, and dim my lights every morning to get to work. The light issue has now evolved into a flickering. And I am asked by every guard at the gate if I know there is something wrong with my light.

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
Sounds to me like the "flasher". Remember the spastic turn signal? Back in the old days a trip to the auto parts store and parting with a few bucks for a new flasher solved the problem. Now days modules control the lighting so whatever module controls the turn signals is probably at fault. Could also be whatever controls the module...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts