Bimmerfest BMW banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Banned
22,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Can threatening bodily harm to someone, via text format(with witnesses), on the internet, be prosecuted? (no, *I* was not the one doing the threatening)

·
Ipsa scientia potestas es
3,886 Posts
Ripsnort said:
Can threatening bodily harm to someone, via text format, on the internet, be prosecuted? (no, *I* was not the one doing the threatening)
It definately can be prosecuted in the UK.

Malicious communication.

·
Away
1,630 Posts
Ripsnort said:
Can threatening bodily harm to someone, via text format(with witnesses), on the internet, be prosecuted? (no, *I* was not the one doing the threatening)
So you were threatened by someone?

·
Ex-Dictator
26,111 Posts
Are you planning to threaten someone ? :eeps: :angel:

·
Away
1,630 Posts
Ripsnort said:
No! Jeez! Does it look like my knuckles are dragging on the ground? :)
Yes. If you look at the second smilie icon in your signature area, your knuckles do seem to be dragging awefully close to the ground. Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. :thumbup: :rofl:

·
Away
1,630 Posts
Ripsnort said:
I can't say too much at this point guys.
Ripsnort,

This sound sooo mysterious. You know, if she's a girl, then I say let her harass you. If she is really really pretty, then that is a bonus! :D

·
Don't worry, be happy
11,616 Posts
Ripsnort said:
I can't say too much at this point guys.

Ok, since you say it was internet related, did the perpetrator use your real name or a "handle"?

·
Any ride will do
17,472 Posts
Was it in WA?

RCW 9A.46.020
Definition -- Penalties.

*** CHANGE IN 2003 *** (SEE 5758.SL) ***
(1) A person is guilty of harassment if:

(a) Without lawful authority, the person knowingly threatens:

(i) To cause bodily injury immediately or in the future to the person threatened or to any other person; or

(ii) To cause physical damage to the property of a person other than the actor; or

(iii) To subject the person threatened or any other person to physical confinement or restraint; or

(iv) Maliciously to do any other act which is intended to substantially harm the person threatened or another with respect to his or her physical or mental health or safety; and

(b) The person by words or conduct places the person threatened in reasonable fear that the threat will be carried out. "Words or conduct" includes, in addition to any other form of communication or conduct, the sending of an electronic communication.

(2) A person who harasses another is guilty of a gross misdemeanor punishable under chapter 9A.20 RCW, except that the person is guilty of a class C felony if either of the following applies: (a) The person has previously been convicted in this or any other state of any crime of harassment, as defined in RCW 9A.46.060, of the same victim or members of the victim's family or household or any person specifically named in a no-contact or no-harassment order; or (b) the person harasses another person under subsection (1)(a)(i) of this section by threatening to kill the person threatened or any other person.

(3) The penalties provided in this section for harassment do not preclude the victim from seeking any other remedy otherwise available under law.

·
Banned
22,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The Roadstergal said:
Was it in WA?

RCW 9A.46.020
Definition -- Penalties.

*** CHANGE IN 2003 *** (SEE 5758.SL) ***
(1) A person is guilty of harassment if:

(a) Without lawful authority, the person knowingly threatens:

(i) To cause bodily injury immediately or in the future to the person threatened or to any other person; or

(ii) To cause physical damage to the property of a person other than the actor; or

(iii) To subject the person threatened or any other person to physical confinement or restraint; or

(iv) Maliciously to do any other act which is intended to substantially harm the person threatened or another with respect to his or her physical or mental health or safety; and

(b) The person by words or conduct places the person threatened in reasonable fear that the threat will be carried out. "Words or conduct" includes, in addition to any other form of communication or conduct, the sending of an electronic communication.

(2) A person who harasses another is guilty of a gross misdemeanor punishable under chapter 9A.20 RCW, except that the person is guilty of a class C felony if either of the following applies: (a) The person has previously been convicted in this or any other state of any crime of harassment, as defined in RCW 9A.46.060, of the same victim or members of the victim's family or household or any person specifically named in a no-contact or no-harassment order; or (b) the person harasses another person under subsection (1)(a)(i) of this section by threatening to kill the person threatened or any other person.

(3) The penalties provided in this section for harassment do not preclude the victim from seeking any other remedy otherwise available under law.
Gosh I guess I could have done this on a google search, Thks a bunch! I'm assuming this encompasses "electronic" threats, no?

·
Any ride will do
17,472 Posts
Ripsnort said:
Gosh I guess I could have done this on a google search, Thks a bunch! I'm assuming this encompasses "electronic" threats, no?
The RCW is online:

http://www.leg.wa.gov/rcw/index.cfm

I've bookmarked it for ticket use. :eeps:

As far as electronic harassment goes, you might want to ask a lawyer about precedents. In a civil case, if you want a restraining order, I think it would fly. Make sure you have printouts and any other records you can get your hands on.

·
Banned
22,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Well, now I'm contemplating turning this issue (that I can still not mention)over to our security. If I do, this person will most likely be fired(according to our Computer Securities systems analyst). Now a moral issue rests on my shoulders as everything has been documented.

If I pursue it, this person may lose their job.

I could just blow it off too.

Undecided.

Think I'll sleep on it tonight.

Just curious, what would *you* do in a situation like this?

·
My TARDIS is a BMW
5,352 Posts
Ripsnort said:
Just curious, what would *you* do in a situation like this?
It would very much depend on who was doing the threatening and how much I believed the threat might actually be carried out.

Given the situation you are in, if you procede with the informtion and the person is fired, will said person know that it was you that did him/her in, thus making you a bigger target?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.