BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having just installed clears all around, I have begun to question the legality of my side and rear turn signals. Before, they blinked the standard amber color, and now, they are bright clear, just like the lenses. Is this legal? Or do I have to purchase amber bulbs so they will blink amber?

Thanks

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm not sure about the US, but in the UK, as long as they flash properly and show which way you're turning, it's all legal.

·
Go Gators
10,338 Posts
I think clear blinking clears are illegal in the US but if you get clears you can get "stealth" blinkers which are chrome coated bulbs that blink amber but dont ruin the look of the clears.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Having just installed clears all around, I have begun to question the legality of my side and rear turn signals. Before, they blinked the standard amber color, and now, they are bright clear, just like the lenses. Is this legal? Or do I have to purchase amber bulbs so they will blink amber?

Thanks
If you check with your local DMV under their inspection rules, you will see that the lense can be clear as long as they flash the appropriate color. Amber for signal, red tail lights etc. Even the Cady CTS will have clears next year but the bulbs will flash the correct color. I have seen LED colored bulbs in some of the street mod magazines and others have posted other alternatives.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Guess im going to be calling the DMV today then. Ive just ordered some predator chromiums w/ some stealth bulbs just to be safe, but ill check anyway. thanks for the help guys!

·
Registered
328 Posts
It may vary by state. In this state (Oregon) front turn signals must be amber, yellow, or white, that's the color of the light the color of the lens doesn't matter. The rears must be red or amber. I don't know about the side markers, I think they need to be amber.

I tried amber "stealth" bulbs in the rear but the silver coating blocks to much light and they didn't show up good enough to suit me so I went to amber bulbs.

·
Get left...Go Fast
1,306 Posts
Hold out on the Stealth bulbs....Umnitza will have them available cheaper in about 2 weeks :thumbup:

·
In vino veritas
3,374 Posts
White blinkers are very annoying and distracting to other drivers. Regardless of legality, I'd change to an amber blinking bulb for that reason alone.

Technically, all new cars sold in the United States (import or domestic alike) must (per DOT regulation) feature an amber colored reflector on each of the front corners, near the headlights. Look at any unmodified car in the US and you will see this to be true.

Replacing the amber corners with clear (without having an amber strip in the vicinity - you'll see that the E46 coupes have this, which is why the M3 and sport pkg cars were available with clears right from the factory) will violate this regulation - however, each state has its own regulations on the matter which differ from the DOT spec. Once the car is legally registered in-country, this may no longer apply. In any case, I have never had a problem and I do not have amber reflectors anywhere on my car.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts