BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick history - had a 2008 535i on a 2 year lease. Since residuals were crap and the lease rates so high, decided to buy it and do the stage 2 dinan upgrade.

The day I bought it I didn't even get home before I had an engine malfunction, turned out to be the cam ledge something or other. Towed to BMW

5 weeks later, another engine malfunction, this time the dinan software (i guess my mfg date falls on the cusp). Towed again.

3 days after I get it back - engine malfunction - the cam ledge again.

2 weeks after that, engine malfunction, high pressure fuel pump. That time it stranded me in the middle of a busy road. Towed again.

I asked them for some concessions at this point, they agree to pay 2 monthly payments. Sound fair to me, I say...

Picked it up yesterday. Today - engine malfunction light comes on. Turned the car off, and when I turned it back on the message was gone, can't tell if it's driving right or not.

That's 5 malfunctions in 3 months.

I have no faith left in the car. I want them to buy it back.

Am I better off getting a lawyer? Or going direct to BMWNA?

Anyone have experience getting a buyback?

I love the car, especially with the Dinan, but can't worry about it every time I get in the car and can't risk it dying in the fast lane of a busy freeway with my family in the car.

I've owned acura, audi, lexus, saab, and never had anything remotely like this.

argh.
:cry:

·
U of Dawgs
2,438 Posts
Wow! You bought it because you did not have issues, I assume. Then you had Dinan installed and it turned to crap in a hurry. Can they restore it to pre-Dinan upgrade?

To summarize:
2 oil problems - cam ledge
1 software problem - Dinan?
1 fuel problem - possibly 2 - Did they replace your HPFP the first time?

I feel for you. The oil problem may have been caused by fouled oil because of missing filter insert doing a number on the VANOS solenoids; or bad hook ring seals, but the others? Software?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
restore to pre-dinan

No issues for the first two years. However, the reason I bought the car was to do the upgrade and asked them specifically if there were any issues. I spoke to multiple sales people, two service writers, and the main tech who does the dinan work and they all said that they'd never had issues with upgraded 5s. I don't want the car in non-upgraded form.

The first time it went back (the cam ledge) I asked if it was the Dinan. He said that it might have brought it on a bit sooner, but that it would have happened within a couple thousand miles no matter what.

The 2nd time was bad luck with the rev on the software, and I don't blame BMW for that (in fact, BMW of San Diego has been very good - Ken Emmons, Joe Merritt all very nice).

On monday, as I sweated trying to get my dying car to the side of the road, it hit me that this had crossed from being an inconvenience (look, my loaner car of the week!) to total lack of confidence in the car.

Tonight I realized that if I had to sell the car, even with the extended warranty, what type of hit would i take on the resale value if someone asks me about the service history of the car.

Double argh.

Yeah, summary:
1. Oil pressure issue - replaced a solenoid that controls the pressure at the cam ledges (forgive me if I just hacked that up)
2. Dinan - rev issue
3. Complete cam ledge problem (and that time they dinged by bumper!)
4. HPFP replaced (fixed my bumper, did spark plugs, oil change)
5. No idea what the fault was today - does it matter any more?

Wow! You bought it because you did not have issues, I assume. Then you had Dinan installed and it turned to crap in a hurry. Can they restore it to pre-Dinan upgrade?

·
U of Dawgs
2,438 Posts
I hope you get your money back, or most of it; including the cost of the failed implementation of the Dinan. I say this because the recent trend we seem to see with BMW is to dumb down the software.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.