BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Aviator
2,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We pick up our 335 vert on Monday 11/23, but as of this morning the car still shows "on order" on the BMW web site. The last car we did ED on was our '05 M3 cab, and it showed "scheduled for production" at least 6-8 weeks before Munich pick-up. Is BMW scheduling the cars much closer to the actual delivery date now, or is the web site terminally behind?

Dick

·
Freude am Fahren
19,692 Posts
No reason for the car to be completed more than a week prior to delivery so the status should change soon.

·
Aviator
2,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. You're right, just-in-time production is more efficient. I do recall however, in the late 90's and early 200's the ED cars were completed at least one month prior to pickup, i.e., a November ED would have been built in October.

Fine with me; I simply want to ensure there is a car waiting for us when we arrive at the Welt at 0730 Monday morning. :roundel:

Dick

·
Freude am Fahren
19,692 Posts
Thank you. You're right, just-in-time production is more efficient. I do recall however, in the late 90's and early 200's the ED cars were completed at least one month prior to pickup, i.e., a November ED would have been built in October.
With the BMW Welt´s capacity of 250 deliveries per day, there is simply no place to put 5000+ BMWs.

·
Registered
6,006 Posts
According to our tour guide - it's take 1.5 day to build a car.
Stop worry about your car get build on time - start thinking about your route and hotel reservation, camera, camera cable, laptop - to post your story and pictures here! :thumbup:

·
Registered
750 Posts
Mine was built 7 days before delivery.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Don't worry, the Germans have the production time/delievery logistics down to a very precise science. It will be waiting for you on a spinning lit up turntable when your name is called. :thumbup:

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
You're correct; however, the policy was changed over 3-years ago to a 1-week lead time in conjunction with the opening of the Welt.

·
Freude am Fahren
19,692 Posts
You're correct; however, the policy was changed over 3-years ago to a 1-week lead time in conjunction with the opening of the Welt.
Actually, just over 2 years ago.

First delivery at the Welt (mine) was 23.10.2007.

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
Actually, just over 2 years ago.

First delivery at the Welt (mine) was 23.10.2007.
OK, yes for reason, I thought they had changed the production timeline to a week lead time even before the Welt opened in preparation.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts