Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm certain the brake sensor light issues has been discussed before but I would like to share with all of you my experience with this light just couple of days ago on rather beautiful afternoon.

As soon as my (Dummy) light came on I started to panic. "Ok, not much time left and I need to get this taken care of ASAP!" The first thing I did was to read my manual, and then came on to this forum and did the search button on DIY brake pads. (Thanks to this forum) Once I've gotten comfortable on how to change the brake pads which seem pretty simple IMO, I than ordered all four sets of front and rear brake pads and the new sensors.

I removed the front left wheel first; up to this point I've yet to check the pads and still thinking it's worn beyond limits and it's bad. I removed the front sensor and simply tossed it into the trash can. :tsk: I than removed the brake caliper and the pads fall out. I closely examine the pads. Duh! And I'm saying to myself "That's strange, the pads look almost new!" As I ponder, the brake sensor light certainly came on prematurely considering the amount of brake pad's thickness. Oh well, I press on and swap out the pads, and than the other side. I cleaned the calipers and even applied plenty of that red anti-squeak "Noise reducer":) onto the pads, reinstalled the calipers and remount the wheels. :thumbup:

At this point I'm standing there in my garage with my "Want-a-be" mechanic blue coveralls, saying to myself wow! Not bad, not bad at all. I tackled both front brake pads with my "Mad skills" :bigpimp:

It's not until I remove the right rear tire, removed the brake caliper and the brake sensor that I discover this...:yikes: The sensor wire has been rubbed, I imagine from the tire, and it was badly frayed to the point of almost completely broken in half. I immediately run over to the trash can and pull out the front brake sensor that I threw out earlier. Upon close examination I find there's nothing wrong with the front sensor. I changed out a perfectly good set of brake pads and new sensor on front for nothing. :tsk: :confused: :mad: :bawling:

All was not lost, however, it was a good learning experience for me and good practice on changing brake pads and sensors; more importantly, the lesson learned from this entire shenanigan is to inspect items such as sensor wire "Before" doing anything else. So for all you new BMW owners out there such as myself, don't go into the "Over drive" and be sure to check the most obvious things first.

Sorry for the long post.

·
Ubergeek
15,646 Posts
Yep, that's happened to me on my E30. Rear sensor wire frayed - I just soldered it back up myself.

Keep in mind that by the time your pads need to be changed, your rotors are almost always under spec and need replaced as well.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts