BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I samples from all my oil changes to Blackstone labs. Got into the habit when I got my S54 kaboom M coupe engine.

I am not impressed with my first S65 one:

Does anyone else use Blackstone? I would love to compare results.

·
Stuck in Monday
2,766 Posts
Thanks for the post, Jon. I used Blackstone for my E46 and my Toyota truck, but I probably won't bother for the E92.

I don't think you have any reason to be disappointed here. Some of those metals are going to show up higher than "average" because the average engine doesn't contain a couple of the elements that are found in the S65. That'll skew the numbers. I never put much stock in the elements half of the analysis. I think the most important things are that you have barely any fuel in your oil, so everything seated nicely, and you only have trace amounts of insolubles.

It does go to show that you don't want to wait until 15k miles to get your second oil change.

·
I love my beautiful wife.
2,151 Posts
I'm surprised that the viscosity was down.

Did you have the 1200 mile service performed?

·
Premium Member
4,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm surprised that the viscosity was down.

Did you have the 1200 mile service performed?
Yes, absolutely. Waiting for the standard service intervals is a really bad idea, based on this data. By the time 15K miles rolls around, who knows what the condition of the oil (and the filter) would be.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Yes, absolutely. Waiting for the standard service intervals is a really bad idea, based on this data. By the time 15K miles rolls around, who knows what the condition of the oil (and the filter) would be.
wow, so technically it isn't the break-in oil anymore, It has already been refreshed since.
I wouldn't worry too much, the only thing that is really weird is that the viscosity is already that far. For this type of oil it should have been like new. What type of driving do you do ?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts