BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Brevity= the soul of wit
11,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a similar thread many, many years ago for my E39 build. Of course, none of the pics work anymore, so it's not as much fun to read as it was in 2007.

I still have and adore that car. Those choices affected many of the same for the M2. For now, all I have is the pic of the haul to the shop. Waiting at the shop are a few other goodies as well. The car goes in on Monday.

·
Registered
Ship Captain of the Ever Given
1,486 Posts
Yes. I’m unfamiliar
I’m just getting into the aftermarket side. Until now I’ve been totally devoid of non OEM.
I just installed my first aftermarket part recently and it’s addictive

·
Brevity= the soul of wit
11,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes. I’m unfamiliar
I’m just getting into the aftermarket side. Until now I’ve been totally devoid of non OEM.
I just installed my first aftermarket part recently and it’s addictive
It is indeed. :rolleyes: Car part pr0n pic #1 is attached. 😇

The best place to read about this is the explanation on Turner's site. I quoted below. I am doing this for the M2 specifically to dial IN some road feel. I did the same on my daughter's E82 and, while its nowhere NEAR an E46- which is nowhere NEAR an E30- it can be a little closer. Really tightens up response and feedback. The link I have shared is for the E39 and E53. Talk about addictive? Yeah. I need 4 sets. :eek: I love the things.

Warning: Turner is a tuner from the old days. Their site will have you looking for a credit card. They've since been amalgamated into the whole corporate aftermarket world when everybody got bought and ruined competition and relationships, but they still make cool stuff, anyway. Here's the quote from their product description.
BMW’s are known to have failure prone front thrust arm bushings. The flexible rubber bushings, even those found in M performance models, allow significant movement of the front wheels to maximize daily driving comfort, but also allow considerable alignment change. This results in a disconnected and numb road feel, standing between you and a confidence inspiring driving experience. Eventually the fluid filled rubber bushings fatigue and crack due to continual deflection and ozone degradation, and eventually the damping fluid leaks out resulting in complete failure.

For the enthusiast looking for superior performance and longevity with a crisp, confidence-inspiring driving experience, our sealed ball joint monoballs are the best solution available! Our experience with spherical front control arm ball joints goes back to those we designed and used in our IMSA E90 328i and E92 M3 race cars (GS class Champions in 2011). We wanted to offer as many BMW owners possible a similar level of handling, precision, and control for the track and street.

Utilizing a sealed OEM BMW ball joint for exceptional quality and durability, making them completely at home on both the street and track with no compromise. We have done extensive street, autocross, and track testing to ensure the ball joint used in this bushing design excels in each setting. The advantage of a sealed ball joint is that it eliminates all unwanted deflection while still allowing complete bind-free movement throughout suspension travel, resulting in exceptional control of wheel alignment. What you get is superior steering precision, turn-in response, direct braking feedback, and better handling.

In short, if you're seeking the ultimate in precise, predictable handling and control, with crisp braking response and a long service life that’s equally at home on the street or track - look no further. We have you covered.
20210618_170257780_iOS.jpg

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Nice- thx for taking the time to open the box and link ✌

lucky for me I have a new G20 and not much aftermarket stuff yet

·
Brevity= the soul of wit
11,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
To add a bit more context, here are the thrust arms I put on my daughter's 128. This is what they look like all put together
PXL_20210403_183626934.jpg

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Ha ha. Well I have 38 miles so I might wait a little bit LOL- just took delivery Thursday

but I look forward to watching the progression of your M2

·
Brevity= the soul of wit
11,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ha ha. Well I have 38 miles so I might wait a little bit LOL- just took delivery Thursday
(y) I have just a few more on the M2. 😃I've always dreamed of taking a perfectly fine BMW and making it perfectly mine rather than waiting for something to fail.
20210604_195835929_iOS.jpg

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I’m not waiting for failure, maybe just the cosmolene to burn off ha ha.
I already installed an intake as B engines no longer have blow off valves. It sounds crazy and I kinda have “the itch” but I must refrain.

as far as M2, they are already impressive machines. BMW is great and all but I feel
Like true Ms are another level of build quality. I’m curious if you get solid gains from your changes. Patiently awaiting the “fun part 2”

·
Brevity= the soul of wit
11,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I’m not waiting for failure, maybe just the cosmolene to burn off ha ha.
Oh no. I meant I always have waited. The M2 is our newest car by 10 years. Our E53's are both 18 this year and the E39's are old enough to drink alcohol and vote. :eek:.

And, well the '02 should have given me nieces and nephews by now.

·
Brevity= the soul of wit
11,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So, back on track, I'll throw some light onto the parts I've since added. I'll offer my thoughts of the installation as well as some pics of the completed build.

In addition to the front monoball kit, I became convinced that the car could ride better and ultimately handle better with different springs. Lots and LOTS and MOST people install coil over suspensions for the look. They want it slammed to the ground, cambered out of its mind or whatevs. :rolleyes: This is not me. I don't MIND form, but it will absolutely follow function for mechanical parts. Pretty parts? Sure. But I had the same, specific experience in mind as I had with my E39 when I added a KW suspension. I sought unbelievably compliant day to day road feel and ease with the ridiculously responsive feedback and predictability on the edge of that onramp. More on those expectations, later.

·
Brevity= the soul of wit
11,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
After making the car respond better through the steering wheel, pedal, seat, and all the places you WANT it to feel better, I moved along to the cooling. My mantra was simple: If it cools air, water, oil, or fluid, I sought upgraded parts. I had not really experienced heat soak so prevalent on these motors, but I sought not to think about it at all. The other key thing I seek to avoid is the unexpected (and catastrophic) failure of the plastic bits that adjoin most of these parts. If you've had any BMW motor for more than a few years and some number of corresponding miles, your radiator, expansion tank, or something critical to the well-being of your motor has failed. Not for me and not for my F87.

The aluminum radiator..

Transmission oil cooler:

The new FMIC (front-mounted intercooler). Increased capacity and durability.

Right and left air/water coolers:

And the piece everybody else sees... the new top-mounted intercooler:

·
Brevity= the soul of wit
11,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If we're gonna have all that cooling for the air and fluids, I sought to have a little fun at the other place we like to have fun... our EARS. Enter the complete intake replacement. Filters, chargepipes, etc. ALL the intake plumbing is nice and smooth- and no longer plastic.

And then, the OTHER spot where we like to have fun.. That little boy part of us that wants.. no NEEDS to hear the cool bit of pressure relief... The BOV (blow off valve).

·
Brevity= the soul of wit
11,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So, we'll start the installation pics the same place we started the parts pics- With the Monoball bits.

Easily seen here is a ginormous metal rod extending into the somewhat familiar thrust arm. Here, we can see why a giant piece of rubber built for comfort leaves out some important (to me) details ab the road beneath.

From there, let's take a look at the coil over installation. Some notes here. We know my objective: Better the day to day ride, and give me that feedback and predictability I got from the E39. I did not seek more than MAYBE 1/2" lower. And even then.. not really. Stock height is fine, said I. I just want the engineering of the KWs. And let's be honest. It's been 15 years since I did this to the E39. Mindsets could change! Objectives from a coupe to a sedan might betray my day to day comfort. I found this install a HUGE gamble.

Some pics will help bring to light why this works the way it does.

Now, ya SEE those lil teeny tiny springs peeking out from under the GINORMOUS (comparatively) coils above? There's a shade of purple between them. Anyway... THIS is where the magic happens! THIS is when my E39 feels like an E46. THIS lil spring takes the day to day and says.. hey.. there was a thing.. but drink yer coffee.

But then, magically.. some might say.. progressively... Those big ass coils get interested in the onramp. They wanna know what THEY can do to help ME feel what's happening out back. It's the single-most confidence inspiring upgrade I have done to either my E39 or my F87- separated by nearly 20 years, the experience is the same. Just what I hoped for.

Woops.. I got into the review there. More of that later.

·
Brevity= the soul of wit
11,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So the software sh!t itself and I couldn't add a closer shot of the springs to my last post. So, here is that in case it helps draw the line on where these springs get their comfortable attitude.

A pic of radiators and so forth... They're not generally sexy, so ya know.. who takes the pic?

And the lil aluminum plate that I mis-ordered. The M2 version either wasn't online or wasn't clear or something.. They made the M3/M4 version work. I would like to get the aluminum fins instead. But then, who's lookin?

·
Brevity= the soul of wit
11,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sorry it's been awhile since I've updated the thread. I have been enjoying the very improved M2 on every sunny day I can.. And boy is it a kick!
The go fast parts have the added benefit of really dressing up the engine bay. I have pretty much decided I do not want the CF engine cover- even as tempting as it might be. The tie in with the brace would be sooper cool.

The final installation of pics is the aesthetics that I added to dress up the car.

The BMW Performance Carbon lip is likely no different from the Turner item at way less. The Turner CF bits were not available when I had this work done.

The little touches were a lot of fun on this one. Here's the CF door sills.

The CF emblems are a nice, subtle touch to tie in with the front splitter:

That's also a fine shot of the 763M wheels. These arrived from BMW with the tires already mounted.

Do also note that I could not turn down the chance to install the little spinning BMW center caps. Years and years ago a group of enthusiasts made these and called the 'Bimmer Spinners'. I always wondered what happened to them. It's a silly thing to like as much as I do, but hey. My car! LOL

And finally, some shots of the car in different light. I love love love the 763's in frozen gold. These remind me of early basketweave BBS wheels from the 80's and beyond. To my eye, it's a great nod to the look and the roots of BMW M's early days.

I have since made a couple other cosmetic changes that I will update soon enough. I also found some catted high flow down pipes, so I am anxious to see if they cause me a CE light.

More soon!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts