BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a black 2000 Z3 Coupe 3.0i. I've loved it since the day I bought it - new! Since then I've always wondered why they didn't put a sunroof in this car! I have a moonroof that I hate because it's not a sunroof yet the BMW dealerships tell me I can't put a sunroof in this car. It seems to me if I already have a moonroof - what 's the big deal in converted it to a sunroof. Can anyone give me the technical reasons why this can't be done. I think if I can get a sunroof or a t-roof or something that will open up the roof - I'll literally feel like I'm riding on cloud nine.

·
Looking for a project car
487 Posts
Kufa said:
I have a black 2000 Z3 Coupe 3.0i. I've loved it since the day I bought it - new! Since then I've always wondered why they didn't put a sunroof in this car! I have a moonroof that I hate because it's not a sunroof yet the BMW dealerships tell me I can't put a sunroof in this car. It seems to me if I already have a moonroof - what 's the big deal in converted it to a sunroof. Can anyone give me the technical reasons why this can't be done. I think if I can get a sunroof or a t-roof or something that will open up the roof - I'll literally feel like I'm riding on cloud nine.
Contact Ron Stygar from this board ([email protected]). He has a method for removing the sunroof pannel.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Given the way the roof is formed around the moon-roof, I'd think an after-market retrofit (like ASC) would be very difficult... much easier on a car that started out without the moonroof.

ASC manufactures sliding sunroof/moonroof units in a variety of configurations... they also provide convertible top mechanisms for some manufacturers. I've seen their sunroofs professionally installed in cars (either by the dealership or the owner), and they are about the best I've seen, but that is not to say that I'd pursue that idea.

There are comprimises compared to a real, factory provided sunroof though... they typically don't have a nice, molded roof liner... the factory headliner is replaced with a fabric that can unadhere over time... sag, etc. Then there's warranty... does the warranty transfer owners with the car, or does it only carry as far as the original owner?

I suggest you investigate the 'kit' that Stygar has developed. It's not as ideal as a true sliding roof panel, but it's likey the best solution out there for our cars.

·
Investigative Tinkerer
5,011 Posts
I never thought of it before, but I wonder how a Webasto Sunroof (sliding soft material as seen on 60s-70s MGBGTs) would look on the Coupe. Photoshop anyone?

These were the best examples I could find...

·
Looking for a project car
487 Posts
Randy Forbes said:
I never thought of it before, but I wonder how a Webasto Sunroof (sliding soft material as seen on 60s-70s MGBGTs) would look on the Coupe. Photoshop anyone?
Wasn't the 318ti California roof similar to that?

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
BobC said:
Wasn't the 318ti California roof similar to that?
Yes, I believe it was. Though it doesn't matter to you Roadster folks, I think the Webasto type job would definitely comprimise the structural rigidity of the car.

By the way, nice pics Randy! I could never decide whether Mini Lites or knock-off wire wheels looked best on the MGB GT.

·
Investigative Tinkerer
5,011 Posts
Ben Carufel said:
Yes, I believe it was. Though it doesn't matter to you Roadster folks, I think the Webasto type job would definitely comprimise the structural rigidity of the car.

By the way, nice pics Randy! I could never decide whether Mini Lites or knock-off wire wheels looked best on the MGB GT.
I don't think so. Typically, there is just the sheetmetal skin in the area of the sunroof, all the structural members run the sides of the roof. Given that the Coupe already has a sunroof opening, I doubt there would be any change in strength.

The wire wheels certainly look correct on the car (kinda like Roadstars are the only wheels for an M Coupe/Rdstr).

Someday, I'm sure I'll build another MGBGT, just not with 4 cyl power (unless I used an E-30 M3 engine...).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts