BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
19,585 Miles
11,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Back at Homecoming '00, Harman Kardon was showing a DIN sized Navigation system that would also control the BMW CD changer. Picked up a data sheet there and have been trying to get one since.

HK was trying to get BMWNA to approve it as an option or accessory for the Z3. That didn't happen.
It is an approved BMW accessory in Europe and shows up on the BMW parts CD.
They are now trying to sell it as an aftermarket item still controlling the BMW changer. This assumes that BMW approves their use of the I-BUS.
If that doesn't happen they will be packaging the NAV system with their own changer.
This product is supposed to debut 06/01 or sooner.
Connect to: http://www.mytrafficpro.com/
Well someone was kind enough to send me a test unit for evalution. Should finish the install tonight. Haven't got to trying out the NAV part yet, but the radio and CD head unit with changer is really neat the way it works. It gives you many ways to tailor the system to your likes. One of many that I like is that it lets you run the unit for up to an hour with out the ignition key on. I was in the process of modifying my car, via BMW comfort close, to do this. Now I won't have to.
A lot of thought went into this unit.
More to come.

·
10,856 Posts
What's the estimated cost? I would love one if it's reasonable.

·
10,856 Posts
1200 to 1400 seem slike an awful lot... I might as well go for a DVD/Nav system at that cost (or do a retrofit).

The RK2 Magnum SS is the two pound stainless steel shift knob pictured in my sig. It's great. :)

·
Premium Member
4,073 Posts
Re: Illumination

Ron Stygar said:
That was the whole point of showing the OBC in the pics. Nice to see that you picked up on it.
If the illumination matches, I'm in. If the HK illumination ends up being yellow like the one at mytrafficpro.com, forget it.

Looks like the unit itself is a Becker. Same model that comes in 986/996 P-cars, sans the nav. The chasis and buttons are identical.

·
Premium Member
4,073 Posts
Nick325xiT 5spd said:
1200 to 1400 seem slike an awful lot... I might as well go for a DVD/Nav system at that cost (or do a retrofit).

The RK2 Magnum SS is the two pound stainless steel shift knob pictured in my sig. It's great. :)
There is a BMW accessory for E46 people like youself. Fits into the stowbox. Works the same way as traffic pro.

Be careful of the UUC marketing hype.

·
10,856 Posts
Out of curiosity, which hype were you referring to?

·
19,585 Miles
11,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Spent a couple of weeks with the Harman Kardon Traffic Pro DIN sized navigation system. This unit also controls the BMW CD changer.
I like it. Lot of thought went into this unit. Lot of neat features. Based on the manual I received, most won't be aware of these features.
Have no experience with other NAV systems.
As I see it, the system knows where you want to go and knows where you are.
So no matter how you deviate from where you want to go, it knows where you are and recalculates where you want to go.
More to come.

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
Interestingly, despite its normal DIN size, the TrafficPro is listed in the ETK as a E46 accessory. :dunno:

In any case, for me, any sort of NAV is little more than a neato toy at this point.

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
I have friends with NAV, and am a general gadget freak, so I'm not in the dark ages WRT it or anything.

I can't see using a non-map one like the TrafficPro, as I really dislike people giving me directions (no rally driving for me), and I need the visuals.

Map based ones are fine but the screen the size and location they're currently at is as distracting as a paper map on the passenger seat. If a head-up type mapdisplay with an adjustable size/location/opacity comes along, then that would work for me. The IDrive setup with a big screen high up in the dash might be doable.

Like I said, its nice but mostly a toy. If I had one, I'd use it, but I woudn't go out of my way to spend a couple of grand for one.

·
19,585 Miles
11,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I agree that the map systems are as distracting as a paper map.
Not necessary. Once you use a non map system, it's obvious.
It's really not a toy.
It really eliminates the uncertainty of where you are going.
Today, I drove to a familar (rest of the town unfamilar) place to drop off some stuff to be chromed. When I arrived at the street to the street to this place, it was blocked off for paving.
The Traffic Pro has a feature to avoid problems like this which recalculates the route around the problem.
You could also just go where you want and it will recalculate accordingly.
It knows where you are. It knows where you want to go.
When I left the chrome place, I selected "Home" (A name assigned to where I live). I assumed that it would send me back the way I came. Not so. It recalculated a route (I assume better). Awesome.
Last Saturday, Al and I went to Old Saybrook, CT for some whole belly clams. The system got us there via I95. Going back, the system sent us from I95 to I395 which puzzled us. It just brought us farther up onto route 85 (our target). Another amazing.
More to come.

·
BFE 2003
95 Posts
I went up to see Ron last weekend, and the HK system is as-good as the OEM Nav in my car; for the Z3 (and E36ers who dont want a fold out screen) its perfect. The color and style of the unit looks very BMW OEM.

About arrows vs. maps; driving to his house, my car has split screen map-and-arrows, and when driving you can only really use arrows, the moving map is simply for show.

·
superwagon pilot
'17 991.2C, '19 e450 wagon, 11 135iC, 09 x3
1,403 Posts
Does it work with the steering wheel buttons on the e46? Just wondering how close to OEM it will be. What special antenae, software, etc does it need. CD, DVD or some other database holding media based?

It does look intriguing.

Thanks

·
M Mad
10,476 Posts
Kaz said:
I have friends with NAV, and am a general gadget freak, so I'm not in the dark ages WRT it or anything.

I can't see using a non-map one like the TrafficPro, as I really dislike people giving me directions (no rally driving for me), and I need the visuals.

Map based ones are fine but the screen the size and location they're currently at is as distracting as a paper map on the passenger seat. If a head-up type mapdisplay with an adjustable size/location/opacity comes along, then that would work for me. The IDrive setup with a big screen high up in the dash might be doable.

Like I said, its nice but mostly a toy. If I had one, I'd use it, but I woudn't go out of my way to spend a couple of grand for one.
I got the Garmin StreetPilot III. I put the mount in the center of the dash. About as close to heads up as you can get without a combining glass. Color map, with arrows and word directions, and if you want, voice directions.

Best thing is GPS Discount (www.gpsdiscount.com) has a package deal with the most needed items for $769. I do suggest getting the Metro Guide nav info also, as the City Navigator that comes with it is sparse outside of major cities. With a 128MB data cart I loaded the entire area south of Greenville Spartenburg, as far west as Alabama/Miss border, and south past Orlando, with boths sets of data (City Navigator and Metro Guide).

Other nice thing is spare mounts are about $9 and so you can use it in several cars. The bean bag mount allows use in rental cars.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts