BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear fellows,
Lets make a bit of history.
There is a lot of comments and things being said about our E46s and E90s.
Which one is better or nicer, but lets not forget the E36 DNA.
We have to thank the designers of this original masterpiece of the car industry that has led to the successful reinvention of the 3 series over and over again.
Did you notice how much of that beautiful original E36 DNA is still present in the design of both the E46 and E90?.
I'm very happy the way BMW designers have managed to continue that masterpiece to become contemporary in the 98's and now in the 05's.
I often observe any of the E36,46 and 90 and happily see how similar and beautiful these car's lines flow in the streets or freeways. All in their time.
I especially like the way the back of the E90 has introduced all those great design features of the E36 which the E46 lacked a bit. (a bit japanese looking to me). I always loved the back and proportions of the E36. One of the best car's back (and front) ever designed from my point of view. Still looks fantastic in the streets today!
Talking about design. Did you notice that when they did the facelift of the E36 they have almost changed nothing, other than colour matching bumpers and a bit longer air intake grille at the front bumper. You know why is that? Because the design was very close to perfection. If you have designed an object that you change a part and that part does not make it any good, no matter how hard you try, that is good design!! And that is what the E36 is! They could not find a better "nose" and "bum" for that car. That is why it makes it so unique, and that is why it has been so successful along all these years of reinvention.
I particulary always disliked the way BMW handles the facelifts. I always end up loving the original versions. In the E46, for example, I love the original front but not the facelift done around 02, especially with those models that are not that sporty, like the 318i. If you have a 330i with all the bells and wistles, that is another story, but not for the cheaper models. The way the original front of the E46 looks is great whether expensive or cheap!
What is your opinion fellows?
By the way, even though a BMW fan, I don't know the names of the designers for the E36, E46 and E90. Do you guys know?
Cheers
Guscanguro
Present: 325i E90 (05')
Past: 323i E46 (99') - 318i E36 (93')

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
As a former E36 owner.....I would say the design is classic BMW, but IMO today I find it boring looking and bland compared to the e46-e90. It kinda looked Civicy for a BMW.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
E36!! :thumbup:

·
I do'nt make mistakes.
10,478 Posts
e60lover said:
As a former E36 owner.....I would say the design is classic BMW, but IMO today I find it boring looking and bland compared to the e46-e90. It kinda looked Civicy for a BMW.
The E36 is ok, but its my least favorite 3 series exterior style-wise, although the E90 is close. I remember when a co-worker bought a brand new E36 M3, and I just :dunno:.

E30 > E46 > E21 >> E90 > E36.

Since I've got a E46, I'm looking to upgrade to an E30 real soon (I test drove a beautiful 325es yesterday).

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
cwsqbm said:
The E36 is ok, but its my least favorite 3 series exterior style-wise, although the E90 is close. I remember when a co-worker bought a brand new E36 M3, and I just :dunno:.

E30 > E46 > E21 >> E90 > E36.

Since I've got a E46, I'm looking to upgrade to an E30 real soon (I test drove a beautiful 325es yesterday).
Meh...

e30>>e36>e46>e90>e21

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.