BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
19,585 Miles
11,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Lets puddle light the chicken coupe

Jon M. and I, have had this mod on the list for some time.
It lights up the area where you place your feet when opening the door.
The seven series come with this. The five series probably does too. I purchased the seven series one. It's curved, so it won't work.

I also purchased the Porsche one. Don't have the balls trying to install it on the door panel.

Thought about it last night and decided to try it using the BMW footwell/glove box light.

This mod isn't worth doing if it's the only door related one.
I have the drivers side door apart (again) to do the no keyhole surround mod and replace the window motor regulator.
On the passenger side, I have the door apart to add the S54 engraved door handle along with the no keyhole surround.
You could also do the door handle light and the VW door button lock LED mods.

Spent some time experimenting with placement. Masked the area and have it marked ready to make the rectangular hole.
I hole it by drilling a bunch of small holes within the marked area line and filing/dremeling the result.
Electrically it will connect to the footwell light line. Will get the ground within the door.
Will have to add a pin to the door/underdash connector.
More to come.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Chicken coupe! gotta' love that one.

Hope you have been well Ron!

Have a great holiday. Let's drive again in the spring.

·
19,585 Miles
11,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Chicken coupe! gotta' love that one.

bmargolis said:

Have a great holiday. Let's drive again in the spring.
chicken coupe thing came from Satch Carlsons Roundel Z4 review.
see pic.

Will be doing Fred's OOH and the Cape Cod drive along with some Newport ones and many down to the coast for some nice meals.
Will have to wait for Al to catch up getting his big wheels moving:).

·
19,585 Miles
11,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The hole dimensions are a little less than the ones I used for the footwell and glove box lights. Tweak it to size. Don't want to screw up on the door hole.

·
19,585 Miles
11,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Puddle lights continued

The puddle light also lights up the door sill area, which hopefully keeps your sweetheart or whatever from nailing it everytime with their feet.
It is also visible from behind.
It also lights up the inside area of the door. Handy when doing mods or repairs.
Ordered some gasket material today to make a gasket for the light assembly.

·
Im here
4,825 Posts
very nice ron
wish i was as talented as you
1 question and fogive my ignorance i know there are drain holes in the bottom of the door but would water ever be a issue when washing it

·
19,585 Miles
11,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
01silz3 said:
very nice ron
wish i was as talented as you
1 question and fogive my ignorance i know there are drain holes in the bottom of the door but would water ever be a issue when washing it
That's why I ordered the gasket material to make sure that it isn't.

·
The Anti-Rice
5,394 Posts
Why didnt you use the 7 series light? Any reasons? Was it too big? Doesnt it already have a ready made gasket for it?

Just curious.

Mpire

·
19,585 Miles
11,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mpire said:
Why didnt you use the 7 series light? Any reasons? Was it too big? Doesnt it already have a ready made gasket for it?

Just curious.

Mpire
No gasket. Sticks up too much on the inside which interferes with a lowered window.

·
Registered
975 Posts
gray car

Ron Stygar said:
chicken coupe thing came from Satch Carlsons Roundel Z4 review.
see pic.

Will be doing Fred's OOH and the Cape Cod drive along with some Newport ones and many down to the coast for some nice meals.
Will have to wait for Al to catch up getting his big wheels moving:).
the only thing you will see Is me resetting my Traffic Pro for the ride home by the Time you pull in for lunch.

·
revirD detangiseD
278 Posts
Ron;

How are you gonna use the gasket? Are you concerned about water entering from the top or from the bottom? I'd think there would be very little coming in from the top side (like down the window) when you wash the car. Seems a very small bead of RTV along the lip of the light and let it set up completely before putting it in the door would work, too.

Joe

·
Registered
636 Posts
Satch can bite me. Roundel / BMWCCA inbreeding at it's worst.

New president of the BMWCCA is the FIRST EVER licensed club racer. Thank God and about time.

·
Registered ABUSER!
362 Posts
DannO said:
Satch can bite me. Roundel / BMWCCA inbreeding at it's worst.
I'm so anti-Satch, that I bypass almost everything he writes. I wish there was some younger blood at the CCA. I've aproached them so many times with planning for another big X5 event as well as a Port Jersey VPC tour, but they don't even reply. Not even when Tom Salkowsky (then product manager for M) wrote to them copying me on the e-mail. Satch can take his e30 iX and shove it up his arse.

·
Registered
228 Posts
LED door lights

Ron
I enjoy your creativeness, I would like to know where you got the clear
caps for your LED's in the Lighting the Door handle.
I'v looked at Radio Shack and Frys Electronics an have failed to find them,
Do you have a item code and where to get them
Thanks I really like your work.

Mike T :thumbup:

·
19,585 Miles
11,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
weoilmen said:
Ron
I enjoy your creativeness, I would like to know where you got the clear
caps for your LED's in the Lighting the Door handle.
I'v looked at Radio Shack and Frys Electronics an have failed to find them,
Do you have a item code and where to get them
Thanks I really like your work.

Mike T :thumbup:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Wiring

I was wondering how you wired the puddle lights, I'm in the process of doing the same thing but the lights dim to off when the door is open and on when it is closed. where did you attach the wiring to once in the cabin of the car?

·
revirD detangiseD
278 Posts
Erickson,

Wow this is an old thread! Been a while since I did it and no longer have that car, but the last paragraph in the first post indicates that the power comes from one of the footwell lights.
Sorry I can't help more.

Cheers,

JoeBimmmer

1 - 17 of 17 Posts