BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I saw a Lexus GS commercial tonight. The woman driving the car quickly clicks the shifter as the announcer says "Introducing the New 6-spd Lexus GS" The impression is she is driving a manual transmission...which she isn't.... The side view of the car clearly shows the infamous "Hofmeister Kink" in the rear side door window.....lifted right out of the BMW design archive. In fact, the whole car has a very sculptured E60 look to it....very avant-garde.

I saw the back end of a new GS yesterday on the road here yesterday....not too impressed. For starters they don't need to have "LEXUS" in big silver letters on the lower left side of the trunk. We know what the big "L" in a circle stands for.

·
Registered
688 Posts
MARCUS545 said:
I saw a Lexus GS commercial tonight. The woman driving the car quickly clicks the shifter as the announcer says "Introducing the New 6-spd Lexus GS" The impression is she is driving a manual transmission...which she isn't.... The side view of the car clearly shows the infamous "Hofmeister Kink" in the rear side door window.....lifted right out of the BMW design archive. In fact, the whole car has a very sculptured E60 look to it....very avant-garde.

I saw the back end of a new GS yesterday on the road here yesterday....not too impressed.
The Japanese cars always come with such a "Japanese" looking rear. I wonder if they take this from their women. I also wonder if a car's rear is a reflection of the manufacturers view of the women in their country and whether this would apply to the designs of the 7 and 5 series. Ouch!!!!

·
Registered
783 Posts
I am in the market for a new 2006 530i and then realized that price wise with options, it can get close to the pricing of a new 2006 GS430 (V8). In most cases it would be a no brainer to choose a V8 over a 6 Cylinder engine if the pricing were similar (step up), however the BMW is still more fun to drive and I have always wanted the new 5, however the new GS430 is a great revamp by Lexus to gain market share from BMW and those 18" rims on the GS looks great. That in addition to the great reliability is a strong selling point.

·
Registered
13,798 Posts
It looks great in the commercials, and nice in person, but I'm not sure it feels like 50 grand (for the 3.0L V6 version). Inside looks great in pictures, but sitting in it, it doesn't feel that expensive.

·
Do the interns get Glocks
9,324 Posts
bmwguynj said:
I am in the market for a new 2006 530i and then realized that price wise with options, it can get close to the pricing of a new 2006 GS430 (V8). In most cases it would be a no brainer to choose a V8 over a 6 Cylinder engine if the pricing were similar (step up), however the BMW is still more fun to drive and I have always wanted the new 5, however the new GS430 is a great revamp by Lexus to gain market share from BMW and those 18" rims on the GS looks great. That in addition to the great reliability is a strong selling point.
Why would a V8 be an obvious step up from a 6 :dunno:

The BMW i-6 is one of the smoothest rev happy engines in existence and dosent use as much fuel as a v8.

·
Registered
13,798 Posts
What is the GS450h (hybrid) targeting?

·
Registered
1,073 Posts

·
Registered
783 Posts
LmtdSlip said:
Why would a V8 be an obvious step up from a 6 :dunno:

The BMW i-6 is one of the smoothest rev happy engines in existence and dosent use as much fuel as a v8.
You don't have to tell me about that wonderful I-6, however that 300HP Lexus V8 is definitely a step up in power and competes more in line with the 545 (which is ever better)

·
Raoul Duke
12,582 Posts
dagoo98 said:
I agree, the infiniti M series is very nice. They did a wonderful job redesigning it, I saw one on the road when I was in LA last week and I was very impressed. In my opinion it looks better than the E60. :tsk:
Take one for a drive.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1113212&postcount=34

FWIW, I thought the 5ers handled "differently" than the M35x. They both had pluses and minuses. But imo, the money you plop down onto a 50k+ sport/luxury sedan should be spent on the things that make you happy. Whatever that is.

I spec'd out a 530 and 545 before I got the car I have now. It just cost so damn much compared to what is/was available. And the hp is weak in the 530. Without a trip to Europe I was having a hard time justifying the $ to fun ratio.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts