BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Only here to produce CO2
368 Posts
Is it just me, or can they just leave the cladding on that vehicle for the bling-bling crowd, since they'll just put all that useless stuff back on the car anyway? :dunno:

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Even if it is a real spy picture of a real experimental car that turns into a real production option, what are the chances of them offering it with a manual transmission? I am thinking none . . .

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
Word is that, like MB and Nissan, Toyota is planning on dropping L6 engines. :cry: Though my guess is the next Altezza/IS will get a 4cyl turbo in Japan (current top-spec ones have a NA 4), some export markets will get a smallish V8 in top trim. Lexus US seems eager to follow VW and put more cylinders in their cars (e.g. LS with the Century's V12), and there is word that Toyota wants to revive the Supra in a smaller V8 form, so this wouldn't be a huge surprise to me.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
nate328Ci said:

Why not? The current I-6 IS300 has a manual....
B/c the current manual is there first in how long? B/c the V8 is a much bigger and more expensive engine that will probably have smaller volume. How many of those customers will want a manual and will it be worth the investment to engineer one? B/c nobody but BMW puts manuals into cars other than econo boxes these days - wait. That has changed in the last couple years, hasn't it? (When I bought my car, it was the only option for manual transmission and rear wheel drive other than sports cars or the mustang/camero type lines - now there are a bunch of choices at least).

Maybe they will make one, but I still sort of doubt it. How many 8 cylinder motors have manuals mated to them? Other than true sports cars, I can think of one off the top of my head. Well, two if you count the M version. On the other hand, I suppose this could be the wave of the future. We will just have to wait and see, I suppose.

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
rwg said:

(When I bought my car, it was the only option for manual transmission and rear wheel drive other than sports cars or the mustang/camero type lines - now there are a bunch of choices at least).
I belive that in 2001, when you bought your car, the V6 Lincoln LS was offered with a manual. So was the 5 series [/splitting hairs]

·
A sudden sense of liberty
3,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
rwg said:

Maybe they will make one, but I still sort of doubt it. How many 8 cylinder motors have manuals mated to them? Other than true sports cars, I can think of one off the top of my head. Well, two if you count the M version. On the other hand, I suppose this could be the wave of the future. We will just have to wait and see, I suppose.
It's the wave of the future at GM. Both the CTSv and the GTO will have V8s with 6 speeds. The S4 is an 8 cylinder/6 speed. Truth be told, you can get a manual with a V8 Lincoln LS now, but it's an aftermarket through the dealer thing.

EDIT: The Passat W8 will have a 6 speed in the fall.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
nate328Ci said:

I belive that in 2001, when you bought your car, the V6 Lincoln LS was offered with a manual. So was the 5 series [/splitting hairs]
ah yes, the Lincoln. You are right, it was an option. I even drove one. And while I did say my car was the only option, I should have said the BMW line. Nonetheless, with the exception of the LS, the point stands. Now there are relatively many. Perhaps JST is right and it is the shape of things to come. I didn't know they planned a six speed for the CTS 8.

·
Registered
783 Posts
I own a 2001 GS430 Automatic and the Lexus V8 with 300HP is so smooth and refined that it is amazing. The GS430 is even a full size car, so I can't even imagine how awesome it would be in the smaller IS300 with 6 speed.

They just have to make the IS300 more sportier and a little larger to make a great combination! I however have not heard of many small cars like that outfitted with V8s?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.