BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a passenger tail light indicator out signal on my dash.......funny thing, no lights out, what do I do

1997 528i stock

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
First try to clean the contacts in which the bulbs sit. Grime accumulates and can trip the error. Next put a little bulb grease on everything. You should do this for all bulbs that you can access: everything on your tail lights and your center high mount stop light. That should take care of it.

·
Registered
356 Posts
center mount brake light should fix it.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
center mount brake light should fix it.
NNY528i is correct, too. If your center high mount stop light is out it will show as the tail light being out. You mentioned that no lights are out, and I assumed you also checked the center brake light as well. Be sure to inspect this first. If it's working, and all other lights are working, clean them as per my first suggestion.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had the same problem with both of my tail lights - first the driver's side and then the passenger side.

To fix: Remove the tail light assembly and disconnect the plug. Look at the connections to see if any are melted or burnt. I found (in both assemblies) the ground wire connection melted and burnt off the connection prong. Pull the ground wire from the plug, cut off the end, strip it and put on a 1/4 inch quick connect. Plug the wire directly into the 1/4 inch male connection on the assembly (the connection feeds all of the bulbs negative supply).

·
Registered
399 Posts
I had this issue on a trip and could not find any lights out upon inspection. So I took the bulbs from one side and swapped them with the bulbs from the other side (And back again keeping them all on their original sides (OCD) LOL) until the warning light switched sides. Then I simply replaced the one that was causing the warning light to come on and all was fine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts