BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the lightbulb warning showing in the instrument dash cluster. I've checked all of the exterior lights, and I can't find a failure. Every light seems to work.

Does anyone know where the sensor for lights is located?

·
Registered
942 Posts
99% chance it***8217;s a bulb.

Most likely culprits

1. On of the rear brake lights. Our cars have progressive rear brake lights. During emergency braking a secondary brighter set of lights light up. If one of the regular brake lights goes out the respective one of these will turn on instead. You need a second person to check if your brake lights are out.

2. Headlight halo rings.

·
Registered
976 Posts
99% chance it's a bulb.

Most likely culprits

1. On of the rear brake lights. Our cars have progressive rear brake lights. During emergency braking a secondary brighter set of lights light up. If one of the regular brake lights goes out the respective one of these will turn on instead. You need a second person to check if your brake lights are out.

2. Headlight halo rings.
#1. It's always #1

If you are by yourself, find a plate glass store window that you can see the back of the car in. Normal brake bulbs are in the fender. The "force"/secondary brake lights are in the hatch

·
Anti-Hack
4,917 Posts
^Easier to just quickly unplug the outboard brake lights and have someone hit the brakes. The inner bulbs take over in the event of a failure of the outboard lights.

Check both license plate bulbs (also a common failure, and one of the most common pull-over causes by the police).

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 99K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
17,513 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts