BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Thebizzy.com
6,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Darn you propellerhead. Ever since you mentioned this in the wheels show-off thread it's all I'm thinking about. And being's that I have the 525i it's even more important. So who here is a brake kit with rotors and calipers that are significantly lighter than stock, or knows of sets that aren't priced in the thousands? I could imagine even saving 5lbs or so per wheel would show a difference in performance. Of course getting new and lighter wheels would only add to the benefit. Looking forward to some discussion amongst those of you that might know more about this.

There is some interesting info Here on Wikipedia but I don't really get much in the way of speed or performance benefits, only comfort? :dunno:

·
Registered
520 Posts
Im sure theres a decent amount of weight to be shaved by better brakes but I think the cost/benefit ratio is not worth it compared to say a supercharger. Good luck on your venture either way!

·
Please, call me Brian.
10,782 Posts
I heard that Zeckhausen is going to be carrying carbon ceramic rotors pretty soon... But that may only be for the M5 (does that actually matter, I'm not sure)? I saw a thread on M5board that it will "drastically" cut down unsprung weight, and greatly improve performance. They have a thread on there over 10 pages long, you should check it out. Some of them are going all out, and breaking the bank while at it! They're actually getting carbon fiber doors/roofs/bumper carriers/fenders, lighter brakes, some high tech Recaros that are heated but still weigh less than 20 lbs a piece (and costing over $1500 a piece!). Exhaust systems, lightweight batteries... the whole 9 yards....
I personally think anyone can *easily* shave off a nice chunk of weight, the battery alone can cut out over 30 lbs, a carbon fiber sunroof (found on Ebay, one's going in my e30) will net you a loss of over 40lbs from up high. Right there you can lose over/around 70 lbs, for under $350 if you're a DIY-er..

·
Registered
5,274 Posts
Mack maybe it's time to hit the treadmill buddy.

:p:angel:

·
Please, call me Brian.
10,782 Posts
Lighter wheels cost a fortune... The only ones I know of that actually cut the weight enough to matter are Dinan, and the name garuntees they'll be overpriced by at least 135%

·
Registered
302 Posts
When you do this kind of thing for bicycles you concentrate your efforts on rotating weight...with the weight furthest from the axle being most critical. So rims, tires, tubes, and spokes are all primary. Then you look at hubs, etc. Applying these principles to a car is different...but rims and tires might still be more important than static components. Light tires and wheels MIGHT be something you can feel in accelleration and braking. And the lightening effort might make rebound damping easier to control. But I doubt that the potential weight savings for any of this is very significant for a car as basically heavy as a 5 series BMW.
On the other hand, almost all of us could benefit greatly from a loss of a few pounds off our spare tires. :)

·
Thebizzy.com
6,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great info guys (except you Ryan M). Keep it coming! I love my wheels but could possibly swap them out for ones that were significantly lighter. Still, I found this BBK on ebay for what looks to be the best price I've ever seen on them for our car or any really. I emailed the guy and he said he could provide a rear kit as well. There would be weight savings here with a lil' bling factor just for fun. Anyone running this set?

Ebay KSPORT Procomp BBK Set

·
Registered
520 Posts
how much does it all weigh compared to oem?

i think what you should do is try to remove whatever the expected weight deduction is like for example remove your hood for a few hours and see if the car feels faster to you.

·
Thebizzy.com
6,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have a CF hood already. Shaving weight can only amount to a + anyway ya look at it. Just looking at more things to consider and wheel/rotor/caliper are what came to mind. Though I know there are 100 other items to consider as well I just want to look at these for the time being.

·
Registered
4,703 Posts
You will end up spending lots

Mack, if you want better performance, please be your judge:
the 525 and 528 have smaller brakes than the 540 (530 has same as 540).
A big brake kit is lots of $$$, but for a car with so-so performance, it's more bling. You don't need that stopping power.
But if you plan on SC'ing your car, that will put you in the - column with more $$$ spend. Of course, you will need to look at your cooling now. And maybe transmission. Some more $$$$.

There are people like me, who don't really care about the performance factor (it isup to a certain point of course, otherwise I would have opted for a MB).

So if I were in your shoes, I would have 3 options:
1.) Get an older 540, well maintained and cheap, fix what has to be fixed, and add the bling factor as in exterior appearance (bumper, lights etc)
2.) Get a 2002 or 2003 540 with the facelift. More $$$, but you don't have to worry if you get the Msport which should have the M bumper and all other goodies. Maintanance is the cost.
3.) Get the Holy Grail, and be done. It will run maybe more expensive.

You would have to sell your 525.

·
Registered
520 Posts
no offense but you bought the wrong car if you want to go fast and if you really want to go fast theres no amount of weight reduction minus complete stripping thats going to be anywhere near as effective, cost or power wise as a supercharger.

·
Please, call me Brian.
10,782 Posts
Hey Mack, i too was intersted in the Ksport kit, but after reading up on the negative affects of drilled slotted rotors, I wish I could go back in time (before I bought mine)! I would recommend just buying some slotted (not drilled) rotors from Zeckhausen, then look for some Rotora calipers or better brake pads, and DEFINATELY get some Braided Brake lines (I love them)!!!!! i don't think this brake kit would save enough wait to make it worth it...
I think a good exhaust would be a great investment, lose weight, mild gain in HP, and better sound! Anywhere you can gain power + lose weight is killing two figurative birds with the same dollar bill.

·
Registered
4,900 Posts
I have a CF hood already. Shaving weight can only amount to a + anyway ya look at it. Just looking at more things to consider and wheel/rotor/caliper are what came to mind. Though I know there are 100 other items to consider as well I just want to look at these for the time being.
Hey Mack!

Interesting thread topic!
We need more of these IMO...

Anyways...
I know exactly where you are coming from...
I think Gumbi has been there, and done that too.
I see a LOT of guys saying to just go with a 540i, or forget about ANY performance that can be had out of a 525i...
IMO, that is a load of CRAP...
LOL!

I look at it this way...
IMO, the I6 2.5L is one THE most dependable and reliable engines BMW makes, like it or not most 540i and 530i guys...
I like the thought of a I6 with the rack and pinion steering, and the reliability that is hard to beat.
If you want to keep your car, because it's the way you like it,
I would be looking at the Warren928's turbo setups, or the ESS twin screw.
Another option would to be looking at the 335i, or getting an M5.
Of course that much more money...
This is just my opinion.

Jason

·
Thebizzy.com
6,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Guys, listen don't turn this into a thread about what model 5 series I should have. We can save that for another thread. For now I'm looking for honest and genuine feedback on the thread title. Trust me, I know the 525 is slow but I don't plan on dropping a SC in anytime soon and my goal eventually is to keep this and get a 540 or M5 down the road. I'm just looking for some out of the box options now. Thanks!

·
Registered
4,900 Posts
Guys, listen don't turn this into a thread about what model 5 series I should have. We can save that for another thread. For now I'm looking for honest and genuine feedback on the thread title. Trust me, I know the 525 is slow but I don't plan on dropping a SC in anytime soon and my goal eventually is to keep this and get a 540 or M5 down the road. I'm just looking for some out of the box options now. Thanks!
Make a custom BBK with the Porsche calipers...
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1149077

Or keep the stock brakes.

·
Thebizzy.com
6,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Make a custom BBK with the Porsche calipers...
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1149077

Or keep the stock brakes.
This is a damn sweet option but with the custom made brackets it's a bit out of my league. I'd be looking for something a bit more plug-n-play.

Also armysweitzer I understand what you're saying here. I'm not simply trying to just shave weight everywhere possible but see the effects of lightening up some components in key area's. Obviously (at least in my humble opinion) saving say 5lbs per corner with lighter wheels and braking components would have a greater impact than shaving 20lbs out of the trunk. Am I making any sense here?

·
Registered
520 Posts
This is a damn sweet option but with the custom made brackets it's a bit out of my league. I'd be looking for something a bit more plug-n-play.

Also armysweitzer I understand what you're saying here. I'm not simply trying to just shave weight everywhere possible but see the effects of lightening up some components in key area's. Obviously (at least in my humble opinion) saving say 5lbs per corner with lighter wheels and braking components would have a greater impact than shaving 20lbs out of the trunk. Am I making any sense here?
absolutely, I'm just trying to warn you that the benefits might be 90% placebo.

regardless of the weight savings you'll have cool brakes:thumbup:

·
Thebizzy.com
6,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
absolutely, I'm just trying to warn you that the benefits might be 90% placebo.

regardless of the weight savings you'll have cool brakes:thumbup:
LOL you are probably 100% correct on both accounts my friend. Hence why I'm really just trying to find out more info on this rarely discussed subject.

FYI I already have drilled/slotted rotors and ceramic pads which I love, but again, just looking at other options is all.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Of the Myriad of ways tou can cut weight, I think that BMW offers a Non Metal Roof. Takes out the sunroof, Stiffens the chassis, Drops weight by about 50 lbs. Then, you've already done your exhaust and you've got your CF Hood, so your already down a significant amount. Thankfully, your car's a manual if I'm not mistaken. I'm all for the "If we can make it faster, lets do it." Racket, but that's from the Japanese Tuner side of me, being used to throwing turbos on anything, setting it on manual boost control and having a blast.

Imho, those kinds of brakes would be great for twisty ludicrious mountain backroad driving, no matter what car it is. If you've got a lot of that planned for the future and can afford to spend it, I would. Then again, you may as well get the Mtechnic brake vent kit while your at it to keep them cool if that's all your gonna do.

Don't know where it's heading, but definatly interested to see the final product. Should be good times all around!

1 - 20 of 92 Posts