BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
looking for a car
Joined
·
2,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is there anyway you can set ALL of the ext lights to turn off when the car shuts off. i had the feature in my lexus ls400. once the car was off and i opened my door the ext lights would turn off. i drive with my lights on at all times and hate turning them off when i get out of the car. my lowbeams turn off when the cars off but the turns and rears stay on anyway to change this? :dunno:
 

·
just havin a heart attack
Joined
·
2,741 Posts
Nope, it's a function of the switch and light control module. The 2002/2003 have the automatic lights, it's probably not worth the cash to convert it to that. You could, however, program the daytime running lamps to be on all the time.
 

·
looking for a car
Joined
·
2,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ehh its a bit annoying having to turn the lights on and off especially when you forget to turn them off....guess its to the garage to stir up some relay LOL
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
265 Posts
bimmerd00d said:
Nope, it's a function of the switch and light control module. The 2002/2003 have the automatic lights, it's probably not worth the cash to convert it to that. You could, however, program the daytime running lamps to be on all the time.
I've noticed the day time running lites on a few e39s on the road and heard of people, 'programming' their car to run this way as you mentioned above. Exactly how do you do this?
 

·
looking for a car
Joined
·
2,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yah u can get that done at a dealer they need to reprogram stuff but idk if itll cost u any $$$. im trying to get my lights to turn on when cars running and off when off preferable my halos.......wait a minute.....maybe i can get the dealer to activate the DRL and then get the power from those and connect those to my halos......hmmm this has me thinking now lol
 

·
just havin a heart attack
Joined
·
2,741 Posts
frhsfootball80 said:
yah u can get that done at a dealer they need to reprogram stuff but idk if itll cost u any $$$. im trying to get my lights to turn on when cars running and off when off preferable my halos.......wait a minute.....maybe i can get the dealer to activate the DRL and then get the power from those and connect those to my halos......hmmm this has me thinking now lol
You're getting into that minority engineering now. I like that. :thumbup: Wire the AE's into your interior lights as well as parking lights like i did.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,729 Posts
Hey fellow Texan!
I have the same deal, I use my headlights everyday for safety. I turn them off automatically now via hand :).

I would be interested if you found anything out.

I'm surprised the BMW doesn't do this (mine is an 01)... even our Honda Accord has auto-off.

oh well :)

frhsfootball80 said:
is there anyway you can set ALL of the ext lights to turn off when the car shuts off. i had the feature in my lexus ls400. once the car was off and i opened my door the ext lights would turn off. i drive with my lights on at all times and hate turning them off when i get out of the car. my lowbeams turn off when the cars off but the turns and rears stay on anyway to change this? :dunno:
 

·
looking for a car
Joined
·
2,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yah our 91 yes freakin 91 minivan has this feature i mean cmon wth. this bimmer has all these sensors and hihg tech gismos and not that feature....:mad:
 

·
just havin a heart attack
Joined
·
2,741 Posts
frhsfootball80 said:
yah our 91 yes freakin 91 minivan has this feature i mean cmon wth. this bimmer has all these sensors and hihg tech gismos and not that feature....:mad:
I suppose the Germans aren't too lazy to reach up and turn teh knob. Damn lazy americans.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
208 Posts
i think it is silly that the lights are not auto on/off. my parents own a 97(?) 325i that has auto lights, so i'm not sure why my '99 540iT doesn't. the only thing i can think of is the xenon lights...maybe BMW didn't intend for them to be turned on and off so many times a day?
 

·
looking for a car
Joined
·
2,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
no my low beams turn off with the car but my interior lights and cornor lights stay on and u can barely notice those during the day i left em on twice today

-maybe i can wire the lights at the switch with the low beam controls so i can have them turn off when cars off because the low beam turn off
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top