BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Bavarian Garage
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I take my car to have the windows tinted yesterday. Upon picking it up, I start the car and every airbag light on the dash illuminates. Tried the computer etc to check and all it tells me is there's a sensor issue. Asked the guys WTF they did to my car. Tell me nothing, they didn't remove anything, get anything wet etc. I drive it straight to the dealer who checks and confirms the sensor is triggered. Also tells me that when that indicator is on, the entire airbag system in the car is deactivated. Wonderful ! Sets-up an appt for Friday. 675 miles on the car and in for service. Anyone experienced this? Hope this isn't a sign of things to come.

·
Registered
6,203 Posts
So, I take my car to have the windows tinted yesterday. Upon picking it up, I start the car and every airbag light on the dash illuminates. Tried the computer etc to check and all it tells me is there's a sensor issue. Asked the guys WTF they did to my car. Tell me nothing, they didn't remove anything, get anything wet etc. I drive it straight to the dealer who checks and confirms the sensor is triggered. Also tells me that when that indicator is on, the entire airbag system in the car is deactivated. Wonderful ! Sets-up an appt for Friday. 675 miles on the car and in for service. Anyone experienced this? Hope this isn't a sign of things to come.
Did they remove side door panels to get at your side windows...pull some fuzes? I bet they did. Hopefully it's only a reset.

·
IntarWeb Stalker
10,068 Posts
Weird. First I've ever heard of such a thing. I think it may be your car, though try fighting that with the dealer. Tons of people get their cars tinted without any issues. I got 30% and had ZERO issues, though we do have different model years, but I have the internal sensors (auto dimming rear mirror, auto xenon on/off, auto windshield wipers, etc).

When I got my tints on I saw them do it, they did not have to remove anything. I would say it's your car, and some defect...tints should not challenge your ride.

·
Registered
6,203 Posts
Weird. First I've ever heard of such a thing. I think it may be your car, though try fighting that with the dealer. Tons of people get their cars tinted without any issues. I got 30% and had ZERO issues, though we do have different model years, but I have the internal sensors (auto dimming rear mirror, auto xenon on/off, auto windshield wipers, etc).

When I got my tints on I saw them do it, they did not have to remove anything. I would say it's your car, and some defect...tints should not challenge your ride.
Might depend on if they applied felt...an option usually :dunno:

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
I believe your condition can be caused by the following:
1. remove inside door panel
2. unplug side air bag
3. start car (and maybe drive it)
4. shut off car
5. plug in air bag and reassemble door panel

This is just a possibility, despite their claims of doing "nothing". Your dealer should be to track the history in the computer to confirm this (or not).

:drive:

·
Bavarian Garage
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think it might just be a coincidence. I've looked closely and it doesn't look like they removed any panels etc, and if it were wet, it would've dried by now. Dropping it off tonight, will post results tomorrow when they tell me what the problem is.

·
Bavarian Garage
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The dealer calls and tells me the trouble has been corrected and there is no problem at all with the airbag system or the sensors. Says the code was a "low voltage indicator" (battery) and asked me if I'd recently left the radio on for an extended period of time for instance, while cleaning my car. Told them I hadn't, but after thinking about it, I bet the guy who tinted my windows did. To bad I didn't have a better stereo for him to listen to !! Appears it doesn't take much juice to affect the battery status and all sorts of crazy things appear when that happens.

·
Registered
6,203 Posts
The dealer calls and tells me the trouble has been corrected and there is no problem at all with the airbag system or the sensors. Says the code was a "low voltage indicator" (battery) and asked me if I'd recently left the radio on for an extended period of time for instance, while cleaning my car. Told them I hadn't, but after thinking about it, I bet the guy who tinted my windows did. To bad I didn't have a better stereo for him to listen to !! Appears it doesn't take much juice to affect the battery status and all sorts of crazy things appear when that happens.
Glad it wasn't more serious...you're probably right! Welcome to the forum.

·
Don't Judge Me!
4,429 Posts
This is interesting...
I am going to tint my windows next week... I am glad I asked and this is what owner of the shop said
"No door panel remove, no need to worry...it's BMW not Bentley!":mad:

She pulling a status kill on me....didn't she?

·
Registered
6,203 Posts
This is interesting...
I am going to tint my windows next week... I am glad I asked and this is what owner of the shop said
"No door panel remove, no need to worry...it's BMW not Bentley!":mad:

She pulling a status kill on me....didn't she?
Gia,
The issue of pulling door panels may have to do with felt/moleskin installation during tinting, usually and option. Some E9x already have felt, however. Many tint shops would rather not pull door panels (esp. BMW, etc., with side air bag) and would rather just go with the tint scratch warranty.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.