BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Twice now in a period of 3 months, I have gotten nighttime calls from neighbors telling me my left tail and front parking lights were on. Of course it could have happened before during daylight hours when it might not be noticed. I do not have idrive and have never fooled around with the pathway lighting. Both times the lights switch was in the auto position. Any idea what’s behind this one?

·
Registered
100 Posts
They are the parking lights. You can turn them on by using the turn signal stalk (push up for the right side, down for the left). To turn them off, do the opposite so that the stalk is neutral. They come in handy when you are parking on a street.

·
335... is alive!
196 Posts
It's the roadside parking lights. In some European countries, it is customary when parking on a narrow street at night (as the last car in a row, for example) to click the turn signal to the side of the car closest to traffic (presumably the left side) as a warning that the car is there. The US cars include this feature, even though it isn't something that's ever really used in the US. You must've either knocked the turn signal getting out of the car or perhaps had it on as you made a left turn into your driveway.

·
Premium Member
2018 540i MSport
8,826 Posts
It's always in "neutral" position

They are the parking lights. You can turn them on by using the turn signal stalk (push up for the right side, down for the left). To turn them off, do the opposite so that the stalk is neutral. They come in handy when you are parking on a street.
The E9x turn signal switch always returns to the neutral position. It does not lock in the "up" or "down" position as most other cars do. Yes, you have accidentally engaged the parking lights by either pushing the turn signal lever up or down momentarily after you have shut off the car. You can actually turn these off by pressing the control stalk in either direction momentarily and they will turn off.

·
Tastes like chicken
1,160 Posts
The E9x turn signal switch always returns to the neutral position. It does not lock in the "up" or "down" position as most other cars do. Yes, you have accidentally engaged the parking lights by either pushing the turn signal lever up or down momentarily after you have shut off the car. You can actually turn these off by pressing the control stalk in either direction momentarily and they will turn off.
I have tried numerous times (and ways) to get this feature to activate in my E93 and I cannot get it to do it. Can someone explain the exact steps needed to activate the left or right side standing lights?

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
I have tried numerous times (and ways) to get this feature to activate in my E93 and I cannot get it to do it. Can someone explain the exact steps needed to activate the left or right side standing lights?
I suggest you read the post above yours, or the manual.:angel:

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Shut the car off and hold the stalk all the way in the direction of the desired side for about 2 seconds. The OBC will display the parking light icon.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
I have read the manual on this several times and I can not get it to work either. All I get is the turn signals on (blinking) not a solid parking light !?!?!??!?!!? What am I doing wrong? :dunno:

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
I have read the manual on this several times and I can not get it to work either. All I get is the turn signals on (blinking) not a solid parking light !?!?!??!?!!? What am I doing wrong? :dunno:
The car needs to be off.

·
Viv1
211 Posts
What are the battery-related implications of this? Esp with, say, 10 miles of daily running?

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
The manual does put a recommended limit on it but I can't remember what it was ....

I checked and it says do not use for "unduly amounts of time" :( what is that !?!?!?!?

·
Here comes trouble!
8,356 Posts
Wouldn't the OP have to have the light switch in the 1 position for parking lights? The manual specifically states that all lights automatically turn off when the switch is in the Auto, 0, or 2 position. Hence, it seems that even just accidentally hitting the signal stalk for two seconds upon exit would still require you to manually put the light switch in the 1 position.

:dunno:

I don't recall the manual specifically putting a limit on how long to use parking lights but it does mention to use it sparingly since it will run your battery down.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
NO it needs to be in any position OTHER than "parking". "parking" will turn BOTH sides on and this only turns on 1 side. Using half of the power.

·
Here comes trouble!
8,356 Posts
NO it needs to be in any position OTHER than "parking". "parking" will turn BOTH sides on and this only turns on 1 side. Using half of the power.
Interesting, I thought in parking you could also select left of right with the stalk. In fact, I thought that was the only way to select parking lights.

I'll keep that in mind. :)

·
Tastes like chicken
1,160 Posts
I suggest you read the post above yours, or the manual.:angel:
Shut the car off and hold the stalk all the way in the direction of the desired side for about 2 seconds. The OBC will display the parking light icon.
The car needs to be off.
Interesting, I thought in parking you could also select left of right with the stalk. In fact, I thought that was the only way to select parking lights.

I'll keep that in mind. :)
I have tried all of this to no avail. Shut the car completely off, activate the turn signal for however long--doesn't matter, I never see an indicator on the dash), then as soon as I open my door everything goes off. This is with the light switch on automatic.

·
BMW d Driver
1,123 Posts
I know it works on the e46, I will have to try on the e90.

On the e46 you just shut off the car, flip the turn signal the direction you want it, then get out ;)

1 - 20 of 39 Posts