1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
5,341 Posts
:yikes:

·
10,856 Posts
8lbs. per wheel.

Not sure I'd trust them on a road course, but if I had that kind of money thaty'd be ****ing awesome for autox.

·
Ubergeek
15,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nick325xiT 5spd said:
Not sure I'd trust them on a road course, but if I had that kind of money thaty'd be ****ing awesome for autox.
No kidding.

Step 1: Win lottery

·
10,856 Posts
KrisL said:
No kidding.

Step 1: Win lottery
The thing is that they really aren't THAT expensive. :eek:

·
Ubergeek
15,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nick325xiT 5spd said:
Well, I'd *also* have to buy a C6 Z06 as a dedicated track car to put them on.

·
10,856 Posts
KrisL said:
Well, I'd *also* have to buy a C6 Z06 as a dedicated track car to put them on.
IIRC center bore is the same, and the bolt pattern is only a fraction of a millimeter off. It wouldn't shock me if they come out with something that works.

·
Sikkens Autocryl MM
2,808 Posts
Nick325xiT 5spd said:
:stupid: They're about $1600 a wheel. An 18" HRE or Kinesis is what, around $1400 each?

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
Don't hit any potholes.

·
Living on the redline
27,238 Posts
claims twice as strong as OE, it would stand a 2x chance of surviving a pothole over an OEM wheel :dunno:

·
Stuck in Monday
2,766 Posts
TeamM3 said:
claims twice as strong as OE, it would stand a 2x chance of surviving a pothole over an OEM wheel :dunno:
At $1600 a pop, can't say I'd want to be the first to try it out.

In the ad, they say that they'll do custom wheels for BMWs. The weight improvement is bound to be even better than for the Vette. I'm sure the improvement in handling and acceleration would be surprisingly drastic.

·
10,856 Posts
TeamM3 said:
I know they can take 2x the shock... But metal wheels bend. I'll bet you that the REAL WORLD durability is a bit lower.

...and given what we've seen carbon fiber shards do in F1, I'd pre-emptively ban them on a road course.

·
Living on the redline
27,238 Posts
Nick325xiT 5spd said:
I know they can take 2x the shock... But metal wheels bend. I'll bet you that the REAL WORLD durability is a bit lower.

...and given what we've seen carbon fiber shards do in F1, I'd pre-emptively ban them on a road course.
well we're all making assumptions on just how strong they are and what it would take to make them fail and the results :dunno:

·
M Mad
10,476 Posts
Not sure what it would take them to fail, but if pure carbon fiber, the failure mode is for the carbon fiber to virtually explode. If they use an outer Kevlar layer or use some form of blend of fibers, the failure mode may be less exciting.

·
Registered
1 Posts
They have passed every D.O.T. test including:
(a) Radial Fatigue Standard test is 2.5 million cycles ours passed 5 million
(b) Cornering Fatigue 1.2 million cycles
(c) Radial impact testing (this is the one that everyone worries about) our wheel exceeded the impact test by 60KG which has never been done before.
(d) A repeat of A, B, C with low profile tire... this test not required by JWL or BSAU
(e) Additional impact on unsupported inner flange without tire ( no wheel has ever passed this before our wheel)
(f) CASS test environmental chamber designed to add age to the wheel
(g) Repeat A, B, C on wheel post CASS test

After all testing the wheel was pressure tested to assure no micro cracks

This wheel compared to the Z06 wheel was twice as strong and held up better in impact testing then the Z06 wheels and we did it without the center spokes we also did all the same testing once again with only 1 support bolt in each spoke rather then the normal 2

We are waiting for our first set of M3 wheels, they are due in around the first of June.

·
lurking
18,069 Posts
because these are so much lighter than stock, will one need a suspension retuned?

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
There's going to be this big misconception of "carbon fiber" wheels not standing up to impact of daily driving.

I am more than happy to donate my time and services to help evaluate a set of these wheels and report back my experiences wrt these carbon fiber wheels, to help the manufacturers dispel this "myth" that despite their claims otherwise, the carbon fiber wheels are not safe for street use. I will do all I can to help dispel such myth as perpetrated here:

http://www.sacborg.com/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=012103

All I require is a set of 18"x9" front, 18"x10" rear wheel in 5x114 pattern in the proper offset. :D

p.s.: I am a fully accredited freelance writer for the automotive press, writing for several magazines with circulation as large as 40,000 members strong. I am also a member of the Motor Press Guild.

p.s.s.: If anyone can test out these wheels, it's me. I've manage to bent and destroy 2, yes count that, 2, BBS RGR wheels on the pothole filled roads of Southern California. The BBS RGRs are one of the stiffest and strongest wheels on the market today, if I can manage to bent and destroy those...Well you get the drift. ;)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts