BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Lime Rock in March

1612 16
Any 'festers going the BMWCCA Lime Rock event in March?

Have you been before? How was the experience?
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Geez, I guess not.... anyone here from Bostogn chapter?

Anyway, I'm getting the car prepped for my first HPDS and the cost is starting to add up.. $75 for a brake fluid replacement... GAWD...
Lime Rock in March can be an iffy proposition. . . .
haha I was thinking the same thing.
Seneca said:
Lime Rock in March can be an iffy proposition. . . .
April huh, cool. Will let you know how much snow we get on the track :yikes:

Yeah it is at the place that I had to take it to get my pre-track day inspection done.
rumratt said:
I'll be in Limerock in April. It will also be my first DE as well, so I'll be going through all stuff for the first time.

Don't even get me started on how expensive it can be. :tsk: Why $75 for brake fluid replacement though? Is this at a shop?
Incidentally, does anyone know where I can get some video footage of Lime Rock? Something that shows the whole track?

Unfortunately, it is isn't in Gran Turismo
I will be there! You going to HMS tomorrow?
http://www.scda1.com/images/limerock_m3.wmv
mecklaiz said:
Incidentally, does anyone know where I can get some video footage of Lime Rock? Something that shows the whole track?

Unfortunately, it is isn't in Gran Turismo
...and this one from the learning from mistakes thread here -http://www.323ci.net/vids/2.5rscrash.mpeg I think he was talking too much for the folks he was going to show the video to.I'll give him credit for sharing anyway.:thumbup:
I'm planning on it, what time will you get there, I would like to say between 10 and 10:30 but it is the weekend, I don't really know when I'll wake up.

Z
tim330i said:
I will be there! You going to HMS tomorrow?
I also started a thread about this in the regional forum here:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90672

I will be at HMS around 10. Depends on the weather.
I drove the track in March of '02 with another club.

It rained hard, all day.

By late afternoon, several icy spots had developed; after a couple of drivers spun out and wrecked (one in an M3), we all called it a day.

March is tricky, there will be a lot of standing water around the track, just off the pavement; get a wheel caught in the muck and you could run into trouble.

Lime Rock park is really out in the country and it gets really cold in northwestern CT, so, bundle up.

Oh, and if you're hungry, check out the Boathouse restaurant right in the town of Lakeville.

Ed
mecklaiz said:
Any 'festers going the BMWCCA Lime Rock event in March?

Have you been before? How was the experience?
Oh geez, that's some scary stuff. Well, I gotta say there's a bunch of scary stuff out there for sure.

I know I'll be with instructors and all, but I'm gonna be going real slow... :yikes:
Clarke said:
...and this one from the learning from mistakes thread here -http://www.323ci.net/vids/2.5rscrash.mpeg I think he was talking too much for the folks he was going to show the video to.I'll give him credit for sharing anyway.:thumbup:
I've done it twice in April. First time it started to snow midday and they nearly canceled the remainder of the event (combined the last two run sessions into one and drove < 70 mph or so on the "rain line"). It was extremely slippery. We were warned to never leave the track surface sideways because the grass was too soft in the Spring and we might dig ourselves in and flip the car :eek: :eek: Second time was a cool, sunny day and I had a great time.

You should definitely do your own fluid changes. I and 5-6 Boston CCA members get together for tech sessions a couple of times a year. Next one is on April 2, so it won't help you this time but PM me and keep it in mind for next time. Or come over and hang out with us - we'll be doing all fluid changes - oil, tranny, differential, brakes, coolant, etc.

Also, don't go TOO slow on the track and if you do, watch your mirrors carefully so you don't start a "train". The instructors are very good and will be able to help you a lot. You have to be relaxed - if you notice that you are assuming the fetal position, you're afraid and should take some speed off. If you're hands start hurting, it means you're grabbing the wheel too hard and are driving beyond your limit - watch for signs like that. Most important, listen to your instructor. They are almost always right even if it doesn't immediately seem that way ;)
mecklaiz said:
Oh geez, that's some scary stuff. Well, I gotta say there's a bunch of scary stuff out there for sure.

I know I'll be with instructors and all, but I'm gonna be going real slow... :yikes:
One week to go!

And it seems like the weather is holding but you never can tell.

I'm pretty excited about this event.

Thanks for the invite brave1heart I may well take you up on that offer.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.