BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are looking for 2010 X5 iDrive 35d and luckily found this forum. Including the options, the invoice price is $55305 and MSRP is $60275. The dealer added $380 for training and ad., $120 for pre delivery inspection, $150 for floor mat, and $195 for detail. After $4500 eco credit and $1500 profit, he would sell it to me for $53150 and DMV fee. I don't understand why there are so many fees on top of the invoice price.

It seems to me that quite a lot of people here got a really good deal like $500 over the invoice. However after a few phone calls, I found it is really hard to go $2000 below MSRP because the supply is very limited as they told me.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
$150 for floor mat
Well, for starters, tell him you won't pay a penny more than MSRP for those $130 floor mats! Seriously, most dealers throw them in at no additional cost. If he is going to charge you $150, you'd be ahead to tell him to keep the mats and buy much better custom aftermarket mats for $150, as the BMW OEM mats aren't that great.

And any dealer that charges for detailing and pre-inspection of a new vehicle is, quite simply, a crook. If a dealer even mentioned a charge for detailing a new car, I would immediately walk out and never go back to the place. How much profit a dealer requires to sell a vehicle is entirely up to the dealer... but be upfront about it and don't use dishonest tricks like a detailing fee. I consider the existence of such bogus fees at a dealer to be a good indication of their overall honesty and what you can expect from them down the road.

The deals you can get vary quite a bit geographically. Try a few of the internet quote services and see what happens.

P.S. To my mind, the only legitimate fees are:

Transportation (usually part of the wholesale price total)
Advertising and training for BMW (these are real per vehicle fees paid to BMW NA)
A reasonable documentation fee (I consider a reasonable doc fee "legitimate" as it is a long-standing practice in the industry)
DMV Fees (these fees go directly to the DMV to title and register the vehicle)
Sales Tax (no way around this one)

Whether the mats are included as a courtesy is up to the dealer, since BMW does not include them with the vehicle. But if they don't throw them in the deal, and have a separate charge, you can buy better than OEM for the same price elsewhere)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I agree completely

I would find another dealer. Let's not forget the inspection fee! This dealer wants to charge to extra to perform the requisite, manufacturer required, boilerplate inspection required after the vehicle arrives. He might as well ask you to pay for electricity, coffee service, and for the gas in the tank.

He is quoting you a very fat deal for him and I'd walk out on principle.

·
Registered
178 Posts
OP,
I think you're getting shafted. First of all, $1500 over invoice isn't a good deal. It's average at best. Anyone can walk into a BMW dealership and get $1500 invoice without any haggling.

Secondly, the dealership is trying to charge you extra fees--i.e. predelivery inspection, detailing fees, and the extra $20 for the floor mats (regularly $130 at the BMW dealers). Essentially, you're now paying $335 plus $1500 over invoice. That is a horrible deal if you ask me.

When you're haggling the price with the sales agent, do NOT include the Holiday Credit into the equation. That's a totally separate credit that you'll get taken from your total principle loan amount if you finance via the BMW financial dept. What if you don't plan on financing with BMW? The salesperson will try to add that into the equation...do NOT let him/her do that!

At most, pay $1000 over invoice, have them throw in the floor mats for free, and utilize the Holiday Credit. Thus, you'll be getting the car for $1500 under invoice plus taxes, MACO/training, and registration fees.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all for response but

I called quite a few dealers in Oregon, but they all gave me very similar offer. Does anybody here have any recommendation?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Anyone who is willing to pick up their vehicle in AZ can send me a private message and I will share my dealer contact that gave me a $500 over invoice deal with no nonsense. I believe I got their last allocation, but they may be able to order more.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I called quite a few dealers in Oregon, but they all gave me very similar offer. Does anybody here have any recommendation?
Don't call them. Contact them via email. Do this.......Go on edmunds.com. Enroll in the "Get pricing" on their website and state your preferred method of communication as via email. The dealerships near you will contact you within a day or two. Then, give them the info for your desired car and options. Ask them what price they can give you and you'll be down to purchase immediately. Do ALL this via email!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Anyone who is willing to pick up their vehicle in AZ can send me a private message and I will share my dealer contact that gave me a $500 over invoice deal with no nonsense. I believe I got their last allocation, but they may be able to order more.
This may sound silly but, do I have to pick up the vehicle from the dealer that I ordered it?

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Try Jim Mannheimer In Salem Oregon. Jim has quite a few recomendations on this site. I did a European deliver with him and highly recommend him.

Jims e-mail address: [email protected]

Below is a site search I did on Jim. You can read what others have to say about Jim.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/searchres...-psxo&cof=FORID:11&ie=ISO-8859-1&x=16&y=5#955

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Resident Curmudgeon
23,709 Posts
He offered me very similar deal.
Some people just sound like patsies over the phone and will get taken advantage of.... women, people with strong accents... just the truth.

You need to TELL them what you will pay, or move on. Figure any dealer within a 6 hr drive would be a reasonable use of a Saturday to pick it up.

55685 as 'true invoice (meaining invoce plus 180 training, 320 MACO and 825 delivery, all added up to 55685 should sell to you for 51,685 to 52,185. So 500-1000 over 'true cost to the dealer'.

The are trying to squeeze an extra $1000 out of you, maybe 900 if the mats are worth 100.

Here's the point: the dealer MUST figure he has 'a live one' if they are telling you $195 for a detail and $120 for inspection.... somehow they decided they could pull this on you, and probably your tentative response and lack of immediate outrage tells them "here is someone to screw".

Read up, get prepared, and try again elsewhere. Do not act indecisive or passive, make it clear that your know what it is worth and what you will pay.

Good luck

A

1 - 13 of 13 Posts