BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went into the dealer on tuesday to finally have my wastegates fixed (rattles and such) and to also inquire (demand) the software update that fixed the turbo lag issue v32.xxx. They replaced the waste gates and upgraded my software. My car was running and working just fine before this but I wanted to get these things taken care of.

Long story short, I got the car back and it felt absolutely great... for a few miles. All of a sudden my car started going into limp mode. I have no idea what is causing it but it happens every time I accelerate onto the freeway. It happens right as I hit approximately 50 mph. Im bringing it back in on monday and hopefully it is something that can be easily straightened out.

I am hoping that this is simply a connection that isn't back together or something else simple and easily remedied. If anyone has any thoughts as to things I could check myself that could cause this problem please let me know! most of the people on here seem to know the n54 inside and out so I'm sure someone out there has a few thoughts on this issue.

Thanks in advance for your help!!!

(BTW if you are looking for a great SA at Steven's Creek BMW I cannot recommend anyone more highly than Brian Phillips.)

·
Chairman of the Bored
3,303 Posts
Funny, I met a guy today with an E93 that had the exact same thing happen. They were replacing the HPFP. ( fuel pump ). They had done the wastegate a few days ago.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Not sure if you have the same problem that I had just last week. 2009 E90 335i, HPFP replaced at ~6000 miles. Car was fine for the first 100 miles after getting it back, and then, check engine light with no observable difference in the driving. After 20 more miles, the car started buckling while accelerating and when I let it idle, the engine just stalls. (Idling is much easier in a manual than in the auto, since I like to coast to stoplights.)

Anyways, had it towed back to the dealer that did the HPFP. They apologized and said that it was a loose connection (electrical cable) to the fuel control valve. Seems fixed so far (200 miles).

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
UPDATE:

I took the car back to the dealer on monday so that they could fix what I thought was something minor like a loose connection that was causing the limp mode. I got a call on tuesday that they had no idea what was wrong with the car. So to recap, I am going on 2 weeks without my car, WITHOUT A LOANER!!! (because Im not 24...), and without a reasonable estimate of when the car will be done... keep in mind kids, my car got to this point because I took it in to have the software updated and the wastegates inspected for some rattling. 10 minutes later the car was in limp mode and i was on my way back to the dealer. Has anyone else had their turbos replaced and if so how long did it take from diagnosis to the car being fully repaired. thanks for the advice...

btw, i know some have had bmw fs cover their payments but in my case this isnt really feasible because, well, i paid cash for the car... should i be looking for any other sort of compensation since the dealer did kinda break my car and because i have not had it for going on 2 weeks??

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
id love to have them give me free tints but honestly id almost feel bad asking for it. haha oh well as long as my car is repaired and i can soon enjoy being thrown back into my seat by those two turbos, im happy.

·
Registered
375 Posts
yeah the wastegate is very usual thing along with the fuel pump.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts