BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I just purchased a 2013 135i with 40k miles on it. While on a open stretch of empty freeway I decided to see what she had and took her up to 130 mph where she abruptly gave me the check engine light and a message that the engine was operating at less than full output. When giving the car any gas the engine would shake and sputter like it was misfiring. I was able to get it to the BMW dealership which was about 2 miles away but now I am scarred that I messed the car up. They told me the computer had put itself in limp mode but I have been waiting all day to hear back from them. The car had great service records and appeared to be in excellent mechanical shape. Has anyone had this happen? Could I have blown my engine by doing 130? I have no warranty :cry:

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Hi everyone,

I just purchased a 2013 135i with 40k miles on it. While on a open stretch of empty freeway I decided to see what she had and took her up to 130 mph where she abruptly gave me the check engine light and a message that the engine was operating at less than full output. When giving the car any gas the engine would shake and sputter like it was misfiring. I was able to get it to the BMW dealership which was about 2 miles away but now I am scarred that I messed the car up. They told me the computer had put itself in limp mode but I have been waiting all day to hear back from them. The car had great service records and appeared to be in excellent mechanical shape. Has anyone had this happen? Could I have blown my engine by doing 130? I have no warranty :cry:

Thank you for taking the time to respond.
Since yr car is at the dealer, they'll run diagnostics and tell u what codes it threw. I had limp on my x5d and root cause was a faulty maf sensor reading intake temp incorrectly.
Others have changed vacuum lines, vacuum solenoids, turbo actuators, etc.
Until u get the codes, limp mode can be a result of any number of causes or combos. Good luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So the dealer called me and said that the initial codes said that the car had misfired on all six cylinders. Once they cleared them they continued to get a code for a misfire on cylinder #1. They proposed that they replace the injector and spark plug on that cylinder at a cost of $950. They said this was just to start. Any idea why my little jaunt at 4-5 rpms would have caused this? Does it make sense?

Thank you.

P.S. I went to pick the car up and try to drive it to an independent mechanic but the car was running rough and smoking bad so I will need to tow it to get it off of the BMW lot.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Update....So after towing the car from BMW to a mechanic I was able to get the injector and spark plug changed on cylinder #1 and thankfully she is up and running. I can tell you this was a scary experience and thought for sure something was seriously wrong with my engine as it was barely able to run and made big clouds of smoke over this injector.

I realize now that this post belonged under the E88 forum but that is another thing I learned during this experience.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts