BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
2018 540i MSport
8,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So with the cost-cutting of omitting the felt lining in the left-side dash compartment, I needed to do something about it. I cut out a paper pattern for the two panels and then cut the pieces from a self-stick felt sheet. My wife bought two sheets, about 12x7 for about $1.50. Stuck on the pieces today, looks pretty good I think! What, did they save $0.02? I'm going to put another piece in the lower area of the door bin, have not cut that part out yet.

UPDATE: I scanned the pattern pieces into a PDF file and attached here. TIP: I used a sharp utility blade to cut out the center piece.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
+1 I did the same thing a few months ago. My cuts were not as neat as yours and I only keep a leather ID case there so nothing that would rattle but it looks "unfinished" - unbecoming in a $70,000+ BMW!!

Sent from my SM-T350 using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Registered
230 Posts
It looks nice :thumbup:

·
Registered
421 Posts
I keep a MF cloth in there for dusting the interior, I think felt in there would just create a little friction against the cloth whereas the naked plastic actually makes it easier to get the cloth in and out. BMW was clearly thinking about me when they cut that corner.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
So with the cost-cutting of omitting the felt lining in the left-side dash compartment, I needed to do something about it. I cut out a paper pattern for the two panels and then cut the pieces from a self-stick felt sheet. My wife bought two sheets, about 12x7 for about $1.50. Stuck on the pieces today, looks pretty good I think! What, did they save $0.02? I'm going to put another piece in the lower area of the door bin, have not cut that part out yet.
I like the concept. Any chance you can set out your dimensions for the cuts?

·
Premium Member
2018 540i MSport
8,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I like the concept. Any chance you can set out your dimensions for the cuts?
I was thinking of how to scan the pattern and post, actual size. It's not just a straight pattern, so it's not squared up. I just took some paper from a small pad, and traced the edges with my finger, then cut out the pattern and corrected a few times.

·
Registered
614 Posts
I keep a MF cloth in there for dusting the interior, I think felt in there would just create a little friction against the cloth whereas the naked plastic actually makes it easier to get the cloth in and out. BMW was clearly thinking about me when they cut that corner.
Same here plus my sunglasses that I hardly ever wear

·
Registered
8,892 Posts
I have to say, I miss that compartment. When I got my 4 series, it has DA and DA+ (I know its not a G30.. ) I was surprised that compartment was gone. They put the DA and DA+ on / off buttons where that compartment would be, in my car.

I miss it because I kept stuff in there, that I had to move to the center console.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I also liked the small compartment in the F10. I left my radar detector in there when I sold the car:rofl::rofl:

·
Gmoney
88 Posts
Well done!

·
Gmoney
88 Posts
That is also a great idea

·
Registered
65 Posts
Nice job. Is the felt sheet readily available on Amazon or Ebay?

·
Premium Member
2018 540i MSport
8,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Nice job. Is the felt sheet readily available on Amazon or Ebay?
Perhaps. But my wife found them, and non-adhesive type (she got both) at a local crafts chain store, Michaels.

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
Lining the little driver-side cubbie

Perhaps. But my wife found them, and non-adhesive type (she got both) at a local crafts chain store, Michaels.
I used the self-adhesive foam sheet instead of the felt one. Adds a little additional sound deadening if you store something that might rattle. Both are sold at the large craft stores (Michaels, Hobby Lobby, AC Moore) for about $2.00 a sheet.

·
Premium Member
2018 540i MSport
8,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm pretty certain that my 2018MY is flock lined. RH drive production Graz , Austria.

Maybe a change for the new MY?
The first '17 G30's I saw and test drove had "naked" auxiliary compartments, as do the '18's. We're talking about the small storage compartment, not the main glove compartment, which is lined. My car was also built in Graz, though I don't think this has any bearing. It's a pretty bad cost-cutting measure, as is the lack of full lining in the door map pockets. Please check yours again.

·
Premium Member
2018 540i MSport
8,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The little compartment under the headlight switch?
Can't imagine it's a U.S. vs Europe thing, but who knows? My car was built on Oct 5.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts