BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Lint Traps?

1554 Views 15 Replies 12 Participants Last post by  SD ///M4
Never seen this topic discussed in the forum, so thought I'd give it a go. Is everyone aware that under the hood of BMWs are two small screens designed to catch leaves, bugs, debris etc from interfering with the free-flow of rain water under the hood. These are located on both sides of the car, closest to the windshield, right next to the hood hinges. They just pull out for cleaning. I clean mine each time I was the car and hopeful that others do the same.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
While many of us have discovered these screens, it never hurts to post a reminder.

Tom
I have to order a new one I am missing one when i bought my car . But I have noticed the seal at the bottom of the window collects pine needles like they are the newest rage..
Hurts is the key word. Mine have plastic forms on the "up" side with a wicked-sharp point. And dang if I don't forget that about every other I time I go to clean them. It's drawn blood twice...like a German version of "Christine". Which would probably be "der Kristinegvanderslughtenreistenfaulterhan" for short.

They pop right out, but watch those edges...not sure why they're there and am fighting the urge to make a WWII payback comment.
While many of us have discovered these screens, it never hurts to post a reminder.

Tom
Good info, but in CA, palm fronds are too big to get stuck in there. :angel:
Never seen this topic discussed in the forum, so thought I'd give it a go. Is everyone aware that under the hood of BMWs are two small screens designed to catch leaves, bugs, debris etc from interfering with the free-flow of rain water under the hood. These are located on both sides of the car, closest to the windshield, right next to the hood hinges. They just pull out for cleaning. I clean mine each time I was the car and hopeful that others do the same.
:rofl:

I don't know what you're talking about, I'm going to check it out next time. (Probably because I rarely pull them as they never accumulate enough; I always pop hood every car wash to wipe the edges, wiper area, and pick whatever little debris might be in there by hand.)
Hurts is the key word. Mine have plastic forms on the "up" side with a wicked-sharp point. And dang if I don't forget that about every other I time I go to clean them. It's drawn blood twice...like a German version of "Christine". Which would probably be "der Kristinegvanderslughtenreistenfaulterhan" for short.
:thumbup:

Good info, but in CA, palm fronds are too big to get stuck in there. :angel:
:rofl:

I don't know what you're talking about, I'm going to check it out next time. (Probably because I rarely pull them as they never accumulate enough; I always pop hood every car wash to wipe the edges, wiper area, and pick whatever little debris might be in there by hand.)
I discovered mine the first time I washed it after re-delivery. They were filled with German leaves and other bits of German flora. But not so much since then. And no palm fronds. ;)
Yes (for small values of "everyone," i.e., me ;)). They are there to keep debris from clogging the drains deep inside the fenders where you can't easily flush it out. This was an occasional problem on the E46.
Is everyone aware that under the hood of BMWs are two small screens designed to catch leaves, bugs, debris etc from interfering with the free-flow of rain water under the hood.
Oh, I meant that I did know about the filters already (from here at Bfest), but don't recall anything about blood inducing Kristinegvanderslughtenreistenfaulterhan spikiness. :rofl: Not that I understand German, it's still funny, hahaha.

How's the new ride coming along, anyway?!
:thumbup:

I discovered mine the first time I washed it after re-delivery. They were filled with German leaves and other bits of German flora. But not so much since then. And no palm fronds. ;)
Can you make a video with 2 sexy girls in bikinis?
[Off topic tangent]: It's awesome! What an amazing car! I'm really not missing the S2000 much at this point! Except maybe for the mileage; I got 20 MPG overall in the S2000, I'm getting about 15 MPG in the M. That may improve when I stop stomping on the gas every chance I get. ;)

I spent all day one day last week claying, machine polishing, and machine waxing, but I can still see a lot of imperfections and surface scratches even though everyone says it looks awesome. I may need to get some professional help! [/Off topic]
How's the new ride coming along, anyway?!
:D Ah great to hear. I just now looked in the Z forum to see if you have any threads there to easily spot, and maybe I'm blind, but I guess there isn't a dedicated ZM subforum. (I was slightly curious about how different the M sounds from the IS, as both are well known for their sound. I've seen a handful of ZMs on the road, and a nice red one just last week, but only one ever that was actually screaming down an on ramp, and holy crap!, but then I could not know if it was aftermarket either.)

Anyway, I'm hoping this will also be my last OT post here, but if you start a new thread in the Z or detailing or any forum, go ahead and invite me by PM if you want my 2 cents. :D I will say that I've looked for SD detailers before, and unlike with LA/OC, I don't remember finding any "very well known" guys down there, and that's surprising to me. I think/guess it would probably only be worth it to you to hire a well known guy to surpass your own work.

I bet you probably did try highest speed with high pressure, but my first thought is you probably need a more aggressive compound, then on to the pads. (I've actually used yellow at least once, and have had MF pads for a while now, but not the opportunity to try them; Megs, Optimum and CG make MF pads). I like M105 as a compound, it sure has a lot more bite than my 3D Uno for instance (which is great for other reasons). (edit: there is an outside chance you can source some rare super-tough M101 compound from Bryan Burnworth aka gmblack3 over here, I know he was helping other detailers at some point.) If you get scared of significant removal of clear, try a Highline PTG. The price of a 2-step polish by a "well known guy" will already buy you that PTG, a bottle or two of compound, and a number of new pads, maybe still with money in the pocket. The PTG will let you buff away to your heart's content, as you'll always have an idea of how much you're taking off, and how much there is to begin with at any point. Ok here is an aggressiveness chart I've posted a few times here: http://www.auto-geek.net/charts/wax-cut-chart-master.htm

If you do start a new thread, type out the process, and the more before/afters you have, the better. Okie dokie, sorry everyone else! [/OT]
[Off topic tangent]: It's awesome! What an amazing car! I'm really not missing the S2000 much at this point! Except maybe for the mileage; I got 20 MPG overall in the S2000, I'm getting about 15 MPG in the M. That may improve when I stop stomping on the gas every chance I get. ;)

I spent all day one day last week claying, machine polishing, and machine waxing, but I can still see a lot of imperfections and surface scratches even though everyone says it looks awesome. I may need to get some professional help! [/Off topic]
Probably because the debris filters remind the OP of the lint filter in his dryer. Similar purpose.

ilovemycar: Thanks for the feedback. This was just the first attempt and I wasn't very aggressive at all. Of course, for what I'd pay for a detail to get the car back to factory condition I could buy a front strut brace and maybe even a rear strut brace. While I'd like it to look it's best, in a choice of spending money for looks or performance, performance would win!

And no, Bimmerfest doesn't have a Z4M forum, in fact for some reason, when the Z4 was introduced they didn't create a new forum, so Z3 and Z4 discussions are intermixed in the E36/7 and E85 forum (apparently they also forgot the E86 Z4 Coupe). At some point they realized the error, but it was "too late" to separate the forums. They did separate the E89 (2nd gen Z4) but that's a sub-forum. The E9x and F30 forums are much better organized!

The Z4M is actually quite a bit quieter than the 335is overall and quieter than my S2K with the Neuspeed exhaust. But it has quite a nice deep sound to it and really screams at WOT climbing to 8000 RPM! Of course by then, in just about any gear past 2nd, you're at ticket speed!
Lint? WTF?
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.