Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 99K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
17,449 Posts
I would not. Liqui Moly Art. 1041 Valve Clean is naphtha with a bit of naphthalene; perhaps a listed impurity.

Directions say add to fuel so that GDI valves will never see it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I would not either, irrelavant for gdi engines like Doug mentions.

I had my valves walnut blasted picked up about 30-40 whp. Now i plan on using Mopar combustion chamber and valve cleaner every so many miles thru vacuum induction to keep it clean.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
.... thru vacuum induction to keep it clean.
Can you explain this technique. Never heard of it before. This allows for the cleaner to hit the intake valves?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Can you explain this technique. Never heard of it before. This allows for the cleaner to hit the intake valves?
Yes it will hit the intake valves. On the n54 engine, there is the diverter valve hose to the intake manifold. The mopar ccc is an aerosol that i can spray into this hose that lands on the valves. The car is idling as i do this and the spraying needs to be intermittent so the car doesnt stall. I expect this method to help maintain clean. But as for really dirty valves ( and i have pics to show how bad) you need walnut blast.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Yes it will hit the intake valves. On the n54 engine, there is the diverter valve hose to the intake manifold. The mopar ccc is an aerosol that i can spray into this hose that lands on the valves. The car is idling as i do this and the spraying needs to be intermittent so the car doesnt stall. I expect this method to help maintain clean. But as for really dirty valves ( and i have pics to show how bad) you need walnut blast.
Previous owner of my N54 had the MOC Foam done twice during his ownership, as recent as 15k before I bought it, and the car had misfires when I drove it. I tore into it and discovered the intake valves still looked horrible, though the 2 runners and valves nearest that intake vacuum hose nipple did look slightly better than the others.

I can only assume the dealership did the actual work PO was billed for, but I expected far better results for the amount of money he was charged (go figure though). Once I walnut blasted it improved immensely, but the true fix was replacing the spark plugs, which apparently had never been done during its 100k miles.

I won't say it's snake oil, but I doubt the stuff can rid a car of any seriously caked on crud like what we see with these direct injected engines. Maybe if it's done every 5k miles and BEFORE anything really gets built up, but in my case I wasn't impressed.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Is this the hose you're referring to (N54 in a Z4)? http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=LM73-USA-02-2012-E89-BMW-Z4_35i&diagId=11_3973

·
Registered
365 Posts
The hose I've heard described, and what makes sense for what I saw results-wise on mine, is a 3.5mm vacuum hose on a very small nipple that the diverter valve plumbing is attached to, near where that #11 part is located on the diagram you provided.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Previous owner of my N54 had the MOC Foam done twice during his ownership, as recent as 15k before I bought it, and the car had misfires when I drove it. I tore into it and discovered the intake valves still looked horrible, though the 2 runners and valves nearest that intake vacuum hose nipple did look slightly better than the others.

I can only assume the dealership did the actual work PO was billed for, but I expected far better results for the amount of money he was charged (go figure though). Once I walnut blasted it improved immensely, but the true fix was replacing the spark plugs, which apparently had never been done during its 100k miles.

I won't say it's snake oil, but I doubt the stuff can rid a car of any seriously caked on crud like what we see with these direct injected engines. Maybe if it's done every 5k miles and BEFORE anything really gets built up, but in my case I wasn't impressed.
nah it wont get rid of caked on stuff, hence you get a walnut blast and start w clean valves. Then use every 5k or so and keep it clean! (may be)
The mopar ccc seems to be good stuff, even the msds suggests it and good reviews out there. I wouldnt use that CRC gdi aerosol.
Same here sprak plugs were worn (when I bought the car at 107k) and had a misfire after tuning. Change of coils got rid of the misfire.
The interesting thing about gunked up valves is they are a restriction to air post-throttle body (and charge pipe, where the pressure is measured). Hence gunked valves actually allow the car to get to boost target sooner and that too w less air! resulting in loss of performance obviously.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
^much obliged

1 - 11 of 11 Posts