BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Freude am Fahren
19,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This thread is to share little known facts about ED. They don’t have to be limited to BMW but should be limited to programs offered by European automakers that allowed those not residing in Europe to collect their new vehicles at the factory

Here’s my first contribution. I knew this but don’t believe it was ever discussed here.

Both BMW and Mercedes offered factory delivery to some extent in Australia. See illustrations appended to this post with further details.
Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Grille Vehicle registration plate

Automotive parking light Car Vehicle registration plate Vehicle Hood

Reactions: jvogt1

·
Freude am Fahren
19,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Did you know that European automakers placed print ads in print publications promoting European Delivery?

Here is a 1986 example of a Mercedes-Benz ED advert
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Mode of transport Font

·
Freude am Fahren
19,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here is something that’s almost a unicorn: Ford offered ED …for the Merkur Scorpio

Automotive parking light Vehicle Tire Car Automotive lighting

·
Freude am Fahren
19,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did you know that European automakers placed print ads in print publications promoting European Delivery?
… and one from 1988

Automotive parking light Vehicle Tire Car Wheel

·
Freude am Fahren
19,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
And this from 1966

Car Wheel Motor vehicle Tire Automotive parking light

·
Freude am Fahren
19,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Saab placed adverts too. This is from 1973.
Car Motor vehicle Wheel Automotive parking light Font

·
Freude am Fahren
19,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Switching gears, did you know VW offered ED as well ?
Property Plant Plant community World Ecoregion

Reactions: Gluhwein and jvogt1

·
Freude am Fahren
19,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Alfa Romeo offered ED. This brochure is from 1974.
Automotive parking light Vehicle Car White Hood

·
Aviator
3,007 Posts
My first ED was in 1968 picking up a new VW beetle from the Wolfsburg factory; I think it was about $1,600 or $1,700 including 3 weeks of insurance in Europe, and shipping to SoCal.

Actually, my very first was in August 1967 picking up a brand new Triumph 650 Bonneville T120R from the Coventry works in UK. As a young 17 year old kid I learned a lot about riding on the wrong side of the road, warm beer, and English girls that summer :D

·
Freude am Fahren
19,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Another little known or perhaps forgotten fact: Peugeot offered the Peugeot Overseas Deliceey Program through at least the mid 1980s

Wheel Automotive parking light Vehicle Car Tire

·
Freude am Fahren
19,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My father used something similar in the mid-1960's but it was called the US Army....
What is the connection between your father, Peugeot, and the Army more specifically? I know that many soldiers stationed in Europe bought cars there and brought them home (until emissions and safety regulations precluded that), but the Army wasn’t in the Peugeot distribution business.

·
Glfbggy
1,043 Posts
What is the connection between your father, Peugeot, and the Army more specifically? I know that many soldiers stationed in Europe bought cars there and brought them home (until emissions and safety regulations precluded that), but the Army wasn’t in the Peugeot distribution business.
My dad was in the Army roughly 1963/4-1966, stationed in France. During that time my parents purchased a Peugeot 404. My dad was discharged when DeGaul kicked NATO out of France in '66 and the car returned with us to the USA. I vaguely remember being in NYC, as a 5 year old, waiting for the car to arrive so we could make our way across the country back to Portland, OR, via my parent's childhood home town in Iowa. I also vaguely remember going to the only service team available for Peugeot in Portland every year until it was replaced with a 1971 Ford Pinto... bad choice...LoL...eventually after my wife and I purchased our first BMW, '00 e39, he got an '02 e39 w/Sports Package...it turned out to be too low and required maintenance which he thought he could only find at the dealer roughly 30 miles away...he has a Toyota now... not many years of driving left for him....my mom is done.

Surprisingly, my sister and her husband, especially him, are fans of bimmers. Right now my sister is trying to move from a 4series as the lease ends to a Subaru. My BiL, is not happy about that...

·
Freude am Fahren
19,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wow. Thanks for elucidating. Any pictures of the Peugeot ? (No Pinto pics please )

·
Freude am Fahren
19,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just came across a great VW overseas delivery ad quite correctly pointing out how having one’s own car meant one could make stops at will while “you can’t stop a tour bus” for a wine-and-cheese break. In addition I uncovered the covers of two VW Ed brochures. Take a look.

Building Font Line Rectangle Landmark

Font Rectangle Electric blue Sky Signage

Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive parking light Motor vehicle

Reactions: dkreidel

·
Aviator
3,007 Posts
Ha, I'd forgotten about the Wolfsburg factory tour when I picked up my shiny red bug in 1968; the first year with the high back seats and sharp corner bumpers. Apparently Continental VW's still received the low back seats and "round" bumpers; I tried to get the older configuration but "no changes or substitutions permitted "

When Covid relaxes and the BMW ED program is reinstated I'll be one of the first to sign-up, and pick up ED #18.

Reactions: Gluhwein and JSpira

·
Freude am Fahren
19,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
When Covid relaxes and the BMW ED program is reinstated I'll be one of the first to sign-up, and pick up ED #18.
While I would like this to happen I’ve seen no evidence that it will be reinstated. Time will tell…

·
Freude am Fahren
19,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
“It’s more fun…l
PTD = Porsche Tourist Delivery. This brochure is from 1967.
Rectangle Font Number Parallel Circle

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Wheel Kit car

Vehicle Car Photograph Tire Wheel

·
Freude am Fahren
19,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Saab already had an ED program up and running in 1961 (if not earlier).
Car Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle

1 - 20 of 45 Posts