BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Freude am Fahren
19,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
This Saab brochure shows (I believe) a happy family leaving the delivery center with their new Saab. The father appears all ready for a long drive, armed with his cigar and suit jacket with pocket square. Just what I would wear for a long drive from Gothenburg to Paris or Vienna.
Car Wheel Vehicle Tire Automotive parking light

Reactions: Ucla95

·
Freude am Fahren
19,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I didn’t know Porsche had European Delivery as early as 1956. Here is the automaker’s Vacation Delivery Plan.
Wheel Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Tire

Book Motor vehicle Font Wheel Tire

Font Art Musical instrument accessory Illustration Rectangle

·
Freude am Fahren
19,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
The wording of this VW tourist delivery advert is so relevant for what’s going on today I did a double take.

Automotive parking light Car Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Font

·
Aviator
3,007 Posts
The wording of this VW tourist delivery advert is so relevant for what’s going on today I did a double take.

View attachment 1055485
When I picked up my shiny red '68 Bug from the Wolfsburg factory they provided a month of free insurance. I returned it to the factory for shipment home, but don't recall if that was a requirement or if I had choices of other drop locations. I do remember VW offered multiple pick-up locations, but I wanted to see where my Bug was built and get the factory tour.

·
Freude am Fahren
19,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
. I do remember VW offered multiple pick-up locations, but I wanted to see where my Bug was built and get the factory tour.
. I remember the person at Helms bros., the Mercedes dealer, explaining to my parents when I was little that delivery in other cities would either be at a showroom in that city or a driver coming from Sindelfingen with our car.

·
Aviator
3,007 Posts
Maybe VW was like BMW that did tourist deliveries at big dealerships; BMW München did it at the dealership on Frankfurter Ring, before Freimann and way before the Welt. ??

·
Freude am Fahren
19,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Maybe VW was like BMW that did tourist deliveries at big dealerships; BMW München did it at the dealership on Frankfurter Ring, before Freimann and way before the Welt. ??
To add to your comment, deliveries also took place at the Niederlassung on the Frankfurter Ring for several years in the 1990s during a period that the Freimann location was temporarily closed. At the Niederlassung, which is owned by BMW AG, there was a dedicated staff in place for ED in a similar manner to how Freimann was organized.

What I was referring to was deliveries in other cities at dealerships where they were paid to do an occasional ED.

·
Freude am Fahren
19,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
US spec' M cars delivered in Germany had the 155 MPH governor disabled... BMW didn't want their US customers to get rear-ended on the Autobahn.
If Bimmerfest hadn't removed the dancing roundel emoticon from the forum, I would be using it as a reply here.

·
Super Moderator
3,797 Posts
European Delivery of Saabs for Australian required picking up the car at a port in Australia, not the dealer. I read about this in the 1980's.

BMW European Delivery in Canada in recent years did not have any discount.

In 2005, European Delivery of Saabs for US buyers was very sweet. $2,000 travel allowance (check, didn't have to be used for travel), 9% off MSRP, approx. 20% off accessories bought in Sweden, free night at a hotel along with free taxi between the airport and hotel and between the hotel and factory, free dinner at the hotel, a book, a key ring, a road atlas. The US coordinator didn't know not to book Monday delivery so if you booked Monday delivery, you could get 2 nights free hotel as the factory defaulted Monday deliveries to Tuesday and booked the hotel for Monday night. When the customer showed up at the hotel on Sunday night, they were allowed to stay for free, billed to Saab. This happened to several people so it was a systemic error.

·
Freude am Fahren
19,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
European Delivery of Saabs for Australian required picking up the car at a port in Australia, not the dealer. I read about this in the 1980's.
BMW of North America and Mercedes-Benz NA had similar policies as late as the late 1980s and dealerships would offer to fetch the auto for an additional fee. I should have gone to the port for my parents and for myself but fortunately I got to watch cars being loaded onto ships in Bremerhaven and offloaded at Port Newark years later.

·
Freude am Fahren
19,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I am finding far more Mercedes ED material than BMW so please easier the preponderance of material out of Sindelfingen. This is from 1967.
Rectangle Font Gas Circle Signage

Automotive parking light Vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Car

Car Motor vehicle Wheel Hood Vehicle

·
Freude am Fahren
19,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
And this from 1971.
Automotive parking light Vehicle Car Wheel Hood

·
Freude am Fahren
19,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
In 1966, auto buyers doing Porsche TD got this prospectus.
Textile Font Line Creative arts Art

Book Publication Font Material property Paper

Font Material property Parallel Publication Pattern

·
Freude am Fahren
19,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Vehicle Car

Car Tire Wheel Land vehicle Automotive parking light

In 1982, BMW’s slogan for ED was this:
„A program so unique it doesn’t have to save you money, but does.”

·
Freude am Fahren
19,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Then there was the time one could walk into a Buick dealer and do ED.
Vehicle Car Tire Wheel Hood

Car Tire Vehicle Automotive parking light Wheel

Automotive parking light Wheel Car Tire Vehicle

Book Publication Font Paper Paper product

Wheel Car Automotive parking light Tire Vehicle

Automotive parking light Land vehicle Car Tire Vehicle

Car Wheel Vehicle Tire Motor vehicle

·
Freude am Fahren
19,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Another little known fact, namely that ED was driven (no pun intended) by third party companies who arranged overseas deliveries for customers in the United States. No less than my parents looked into such outfits but preferred the Mercedes dealership.

Here is one such example from 1964, from Cars International
Car Automotive parking light Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle

Font Paper Paper product Document Number

Wheel Car Vehicle Tire Motor vehicle

·
Glfbggy
1,043 Posts
Amazing how OEMs react to market pressures,.... most of the time. Personally, I believe we are at least 2 years away from anyone at BMW considering bringing back the ED option. As long as the dealers can charge market premiums (e.g.: demand exceeds supply), there is no reason for any support by BMW NA or AG for an ED solution which offers a discount over what could be charged by the dealer directly.

·
Freude am Fahren
19,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Amazing how OEMs react to market pressures,.... most of the time. Personally, I believe we are at least 2 years away from anyone at BMW considering bringing back the ED option. As long as the dealers can charge market premiums (e.g.: demand exceeds supply), there is no reason for any support by BMW NA or AG for an ED solution which offers a discount over what could be charged by the dealer directly.
Thaf pretty much sums up my thoughts on the matter although I’d argue in addition that foreign brands are no longer unknown nor is jet travel and that the original basis for ED is gone forever.

·
Freude am Fahren
19,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Little seen 1961 Saab ED brochure.
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive parking light

21 - 40 of 45 Posts