BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

live data logging via obd 1

3K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  FenderBender 
#1 ·
hi guys i have a 1992 325i and was going to try to use my existing 20 pin connector to a 16 pin obd2 can anyone tell me if it will feed live data logging ie speed,temp,bhp and torque etc as well as the error codes

#2 · (Edited)
The cap on my 20 pin diagnostic connector shorts the diagnostic bus to ground.

I'm not sure how you would measure torque and hp in situ. The engine speed, road speed and injection time signals are all accessible over individual wires. I designed a controller that measures and dumps the two speed signals so I know they are not very tricky to acquire and measure.

There are MEMS accelerometer and GPS units that will quickly get you the vehicle speed and acceleration.

#3 ·
i was going to use a 20pin convertor to a 16 pin obd2 then plug a bluetooth obd2 diagnostics tool into that then useing my archos 101 there is an application that lets you read live data ,error codes etc[https://market.android.com/details?id=org.prowl.torque] im now thinking this may only be possible for later cars.thanks for your input:thumbup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.