BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just told by my local BMW dealer that they will not give me a loan car when I bring my car in for maintenance because I did not purchase my car from them. (I moved from TX where I purchased in December to CA in January). They also tried to tell me that this was SOP for BMW dealers across the country, which I happen to know is NOT the case, at least in Dallas, Texas. My parents buy from BMW of Dallas, and do maintenance at Classic BMW. Has anyone else had this problem? Am I getting the shaft here? Feels like it...had an Acura before the 328i, and ANY Acura dealer would give me a loan car during maintenance, regardless of where I purchased it.

·
Bimmerless
BMW G05 45e/Porsche Macan GTS/Ram 1500 Diesel
1,104 Posts
I don't know that there is a SOP for this, I think every dealer is different. And it's definitely an individual dealership policy, not something established by BMW.

Personally, I would take this up with the GM of the dealership. If I owned/managed the dealership, I would want to do favors for someone who might be a future customer, and would try to get them a loaner car so that in the future they feel like they have a relationship with me. If you had bought your car at a competitor's local dealership it would be different. But you apparently bought the car in another state where you previously lived, so it's not like you snubbed them on the purchase od your vehicle and are now trying to get them to give you a loaner for service.

But they can do whatever they want.

·
Flying monkey herder
8,170 Posts
loaner cars are determined by the dealer, not BMWNA.

BMW of Manhattan (owned by bmwna) does not give a loaner unless you bought from there.

the cars given by the dealers also varies, some will put you in a rent-a-car, other a bmw loaner.
I got an 530XiT when i brought my car in for service recently

·
Registered
30 Posts
I bought my 335i coupe in Toronto, and got a loaner from the dealer in London when I dropped it off for fuel pump replacement. No issues at all.

·
Not a Bimmer driver anymo
1,732 Posts
Considering you moved to the area, I'm surprised they are giving you the shaft. Reasonable (this is a key word) businessmen would get you some form of a loaner, even if it wasn't a BMW one, just to earn your future business. Now you're probably shopping a new dealership for service, and rightfully so. They were dumb.

·
Turn Burglar
12,282 Posts
I was just told by my local BMW dealer that they will not give me a loan car when I bring my car in for maintenance because I did not purchase my car from them. (I moved from TX where I purchased in December to CA in January). They also tried to tell me that this was SOP for BMW dealers across the country, which I happen to know is NOT the case, at least in Dallas, Texas. My parents buy from BMW of Dallas, and do maintenance at Classic BMW. Has anyone else had this problem? Am I getting the shaft here? Feels like it...had an Acura before the 328i, and ANY Acura dealer would give me a loan car during maintenance, regardless of where I purchased it.
That is SOP for all dealerships. It is however up to the dealer to give you a loaner even if you didn't buy the car from them. (in your parents case)
I work at a dealership, this comes up 150 times a day.

·
Worlds Foremost Authority
15,956 Posts
loaner cars are determined by the dealer, not BMWNA.

BMW of Manhattan (owned by bmwna) does not give a loaner unless you bought from there.

the cars given by the dealers also varies, some will put you in a rent-a-car, other a bmw loaner.
I got an 530XiT when i brought my car in for service recently
I bought my car at Braman Motorcars in Palm Beach Florida and after 2 weeks shipped it to Manhattan. I booked an oil change at BMW Manhattan was was offered a loaner car. When I found out it would only take about an hour I did not use the loaner - I waited for the car.

I booked the appointment through the BMW Concierge. I don't know if this made a difference.

CA

·
Flying monkey herder
8,170 Posts
I bought my car at Braman Motorcars in Palm Beach Florida and after 2 weeks shipped it to Manhattan. I booked an oil change at BMW Manhattan was was offered a loaner car. When I dound out it would only take about an hour I did not use the loaner - I waited for the car.

I booked the appointment through the BMW Concierge. I don't know if this made a difference.

CA
last time i called them directly they stated they would give a bmw loaner to a non-customer for 30/day-- bmw at their rental price.
no thanks.

·
15,956 Posts
last time i called them directly they stated they would give a bmw loaner to a non-customer for 30/day-- bmw at their rental price.
no thanks.
I was definitely offered a loaner and there was definitely no charge. When I arrived for the service appointment I concluded that it was more trouble than it was worth so I waited.

·
BMW/Harley Guy
123 Posts
I bought my car from an out-of-state broker and brought it to BMW Cleveland for some little issues. I let them know where I bought it and told them they would be getting all my service. They needed it for the whole day and gave me a 535i loaner!!! They're a great dealership! My understanding is that they always give loaners no matter where you bought the car.

(Damn nice car, but I was glad to get my 3 back)

·
15,956 Posts
I bought my car from an out-of-state broker and brought it to BMW Cleveland for some little issues. I let them know where I bought it and told them they would be getting all my service. They needed it for the whole day and gave me a 535i loaner!!! They're a great dealership! My understanding is that they always give loaners no matter where you bought the car.

(Damn nice car, but I was glad to get my 3 back)
I never have been to BMW Cleveland but I purchased a number of accessories form them. They have an eBay store. I deal with Kip. who I have never met but have spoken to on the phone numerous times. Very nice people to deal with. I would definitely recommend them.

CA

·
Registered
653 Posts
Apparently it doesn't hurt to be an attractive female either. With my last BMW, I called and asked for a loaner (where I bought the car) and they said they were out of them unless I wanted to wait a week. So, I decided to wait for 3 hours in the waiting room. While I was sitting there, this woman drops her car off and the SA walks right up to her and says "can I get a loaner car for you today?". She said "No, I have a ride waiting". I just shrugged my shoulders in disbelief.:)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wow! Thanks for all the responses. I actually went ahead and called my sales guy in TX (family has been buying from him for 25 years) and he is checking into it for me. If these guys still won't do it, I'll definitely be shopping around at other dealers. I guess I just find it hard to believe that BMW--a very obviously upscale, luxury car catering to that same crowd, doesn't provide better service on the whole loaner thing. That's BS in my book. If someone like Acura can do it (and I mean ALL dealers)--what some call a "luxury car wannabe", then it seems that BMW ought to be more than able to provide the same thing. How very disappointing.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
This issue has been discussed a lot on the boards.

The main problem is the manager running the service department does not understand the concept of building customer relationships.

He sees you as a loaner car burden.

He should see you as a new customer with the potential to buy a $50k car from them in a couple years. He does not have the brains to figure out a $20 loaner car can make a $50k sale.

Conseqently I avoid dealerships like this. If they are stingy with loaner cars, the mentality is rippled through other areas of the dealership that you have not discovered yet.

·
Tar Heel Faithful
14,127 Posts
Having a BMW loaner is a luxury, not a right. Get used to it, and like others have said, it is dependent on the dealer's policy.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I received a nice letter from my dealer after purchase telling me that by special arrangement, I could get a discounted rate from Enterprise if I needed to bring my car in for any warranty or other service.

I am so looking forward to that!

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
Having a BMW loaner is a luxury, not a right. Get used to it, and like others have said, it is dependent on the dealer's policy.
+1

In Cali, a 3-series is just a German made Camry.

·
Tar Heel Faithful
14,127 Posts
+1

In Cali, a 3-series is just a German made Camry.
That applies to the DC metro area as well. You have no idea how hard it is to find my mom's TiAg 325i in a parking lot. Once, I almost put my hand on another 325i's door handle, thinking it was ours (until I noticed the sat nav!) :yikes:

·
2009 335i M sport
241 Posts
Although I bought from another dealer, BMWSF usually arranges a free rental car at enterprise which is on site. and to be honest I always get something interesting like a Mustang, Tahoe, athough once I did have a god awful Gran Prix. Makes me appreciate my Bimmer more when I go pick it up.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts