BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was offered a loaner while BMW gets parts to fix the airbag. I have 2011 328.
However BMW stipulates that I have to park my car and not move it until the fix is available. It sounds good except my car might be undrivable in a year or so it takes BMW to get the parts. Has anyone got the loaner on the boards? What are the exact BMW conditions? Can I drive my car around the block once a week?

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
Interesting, I asked this question at local dealership service and was told that decision is in hands of BMW NA - they need to authorize and arrange.

Called BMW NA and they stated that BMW is not seeing the real risk associated with this because problem is only when AB seal is broken allowing moisture to penetrate inside so there are 3 components to this -
- AB sealing (BMW believes that this sealing is superior and risk here is smaller than with other car manuf)
- Humid environment (CA in general is dry so risk is very small - they authorize it in Florida Texas and other "wet" states)
- Time (they are replacing AB starting with older cars)

So bottom line is - they've joined the bandwagon to limit their potential liability but they said they are not recommending loaners in CA.
Need to wait and replacement will likely happen towards the end of this year.

I told them that there was Honda accident in CA related to this AB and got response that this car was salvaged and AB could have been affected

Anybody in CA got loaner?

·
Registered
790 Posts
They offered me a rental car on my 2011, 2012 or newer you get a loaner Bmw . You do have to park it, that is my main issue about doing it. You also have to sign an agreement that you will not drive it. I do not think that would be very good for the car to have it sit for a year. They know they are liable for the airbag, they put it in the car, so they will do whatever you want if your a squeaky wheel.

·
Car guy since 1968
1,478 Posts
They offered me a rental car on my 2011, 2012 or newer you get a loaner Bmw . You do have to park it, that is my main issue about doing it. You also have to sign an agreement that you will not drive it. I do not think that would be very good for the car to have it sit for a year. They know they are liable for the airbag, they put it in the car, so they will do whatever you want if your a squeaky wheel.
Get the gas out of it, stick a battery tender on it and the car won't know the difference.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts