BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, today after a game of tennis i locked my keys (only set) inside the trunk of my vehicle. We called our local roadside assistance company instead of BMW roadside (stupidly) and they attempted to shimmy the lock... the driver mentioned to me that you only have three tries with a BMW. Well, he was unsuccessful and BMW roadside is towing my car to my house until the dealership is open tommorow morning. The phone operator also mentioned a lockout system where deadbolts slam into the frame or something. does anybody know of this? he mentioned it was thousands to fix so it has me a little worried. 2004 320i btw.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
update: the guy BMW roadside assistance sent managed to use a gadget to press the central console button.. along with pulling on a door handle, but NOTHING unlocked the doors, there was even a click and none of the doors unlock. Is it costly to reset this system? my master key is still in the trunk. I got it towed home so its in a safe area now, but i'm worried as the roadside assistance representative mentioned that in some BMWs this mechanism costs alot of money to fix is this simply the double lock feature? Any help?

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Try calling your local BMW dealer? They might have some special trick... :dunno: Good luck.

·
Keeping it surreal
43,296 Posts
3-series do not have the deadbolt system (7-series do), and pulling TWICE on the inside door handle (a "child safety feature") would have opened the door instantly. As the old saying goes, "RTFM"....

Regards,
Bob

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
:S so is there any damage that occurs when this system is engaged ? (the double locking). I read the manual and it doesnt mention anything in depth about it.

·
Keeping it surreal
43,296 Posts
:S so is there any damage that occurs when this system is engaged ? (the double locking). I read the manual and it doesnt mention anything in depth about it.
Did you read my post???? (#4, in case you missed it)

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
just clarifying, sorry. I guess all thats left for me to do is order a new key on monday and keep my fingers crossed. thanks

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah. it was a towtruck driver's though.. he wedged this thing into the door and pumped it with air, and it actually created a gap a few cm big enough to get this long gadget in. I've been reading about the double lock system and i think the only way to get in is to use a chipped key, which of course i'll have to order from the dealership. My car is at home right now, might not even bother getting it towed to the dealership in that case

·
Registered
160 Posts
Bad news. Locking the doors with the key will disable the interior door handles. If you press the interior door lock button, it will re-enable the interior door handles. I have tested this on my 2000 323ci.

You might need to: press the "lock" button on the center console, pull the interior handle once to unlock the door, and pull the interior handle a second time to open the door. This is almost impossible to do. Do you have a second key? I'm not sure but the valet key or plastic key might work as well.

·
Its Here!
358 Posts
I had a similar instance... locked my set in the trunk of my vert a few years back. Luckily a friend was able to bring me my other set of keys which I kept at home. BMW roadside said that without a key to open the trunk the other "option" wasn't quite so nice.... a nice little hole drilled into my trunk lid to get inside.

In terms of replacing your key you're going to need to be able to provide proof that you are the owner of the car. IE... if your Signifigant other is the registered owner they're going to need to order the key. I spent an afternoon at Crevier in Santa Ana waiting for a few service items to be completed and a woman was at the service counter trying to get a replacement key for her husband's BMW. Needless to say it was a fiasco! He had to personally come in to order the key irregardless of who she was.

Good luck!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
In terms of replacing your key you're going to need to be able to provide proof that you are the owner of the car. IE... if your Signifigant other is the registered owner they're going to need to order the key. I spent an afternoon at Crevier in Santa Ana waiting for a few service items to be completed and a woman was at the service counter trying to get a replacement key for her husband's BMW. Needless to say it was a fiasco! He had to personally come in to order the key irregardless of who she was.

Good luck!
do you think that a signed letter would suffice? with the proper insurance documents and photo ID of course

·
Its Here!
358 Posts
I'm going to err on the side of caution and say that the registered owner really should be there. You may want to post in the "Ask a dealer" forum and see what kind of response you can get there. I'm sure that someone in service would be able to better answer that question.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
hehe they already let me order it. Just needed my bill of sale and my roadside assistance card etc. Hopefully the key they send me can get my trunk open and stuff though!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Master key, $225 CDN.. i didnt bother initializing it, i just wanted my original master set back out of the trunk, ended up taking 4 days to arrive. This one dealership tried to bully me into letting them drill my trunk lock, without mentioning the damage and replacement that would accompany it (done by them of course), by telling me the key would take THREE weeks to arrive and over quoting me for a master key, after trying to charge me $4200 to replace an entire steering rack last year when i had a clogged banjo bolt in my steering pump (a fix that costed roughly $20). For anyone in edmonton, stick with Bavaria BMW, edmonton BMW is bad news.

·
Registered
765 Posts
What is the chick in the helmet going to do with those eggs?

·
Registered
5 Posts
In reference to the lockout problem, that happened to me. I put the key in the lock turned and held it while lifting the handle it reset and haven't had that problem sense.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts