BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!
I recently bought a 1988 325ix. I love this car. 113,000 miles and in (almost) perfect shape.
It is mechanically sound, I've replaced the timing belt & water pump, but there are a few minor things that I need to address.
I did a little searching in the forums, but didn't find exactly what I was looking for.

I have to unlock the car via the trunk, because the door locks are extremely difficulty to turn, and when the weather gets cold (10 degrees or so) the trunk will unlock, but it won't unlock either of the doors. Are these two problems related, and if so, are they common problems? I haven't had time to take the door panels off and dig around, so I figured I'd ask here first.

Also, I need to replace the driver side dome light bulb. What is the easiest way to pop it off without breaking anything?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
i also have to unlock my car from the trunk; i am considering getting a keyless entry system to fix it. have you guys considered that?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ive had this same problem with my 89 325iX. it almost seems like there is condensation in the lock that freezes?
I was thinking that. I was going to saturate the locks with WD-40, but I wanted to make sure they weren't made of some magical, anti-WD-40, Bavarian metal. I think I may try it this weekend.
i also have to unlock my car from the trunk; i am considering getting a keyless entry system to fix it. have you guys considered that?
I'd like keyless entry, but since the trunk wont unlock the doors when it's cold out, I don't think a keyless entry would either. BTW, not to go off topic, but how did you shoehorn a turbo into your 325i? I had an '87 Volvo 760 turbo and I miss the boost.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I drive an '87 318i which suffers from exactly the same problem (I was letting myself in and out via the trunk lock for a few weeks during a cold snap recently).

A friend at work recommended spraying some WD-40 into the keyhole (make sure you use the straw type extension), then inserting key and turning numerous times. This seemed to help a bit but it still wasn't fully smooth. If spraying WD-40 into lock, make sure you have a rag handy in case some gets onto the door paint, just wipe it off.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
I was thinking that. I was going to saturate the locks with WD-40, but I wanted to make sure they weren't made of some magical, anti-WD-40, Bavarian metal. I think I may try it this weekend.

I'd like keyless entry, but since the trunk wont unlock the doors when it's cold out, I don't think a keyless entry would either. BTW, not to go off topic, but how did you shoehorn a turbo into your 325i? I had an '87 Volvo 760 turbo and I miss the boost.
i had it done at je imports in baltimore, maryland. the physical part of fitting it wasn't the hard part, getting enough fuel to the engine proved to be the most difficult. it is definietly possible, PM me if you decide to do it and want help.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i had it done at je imports in baltimore, maryland. the physical part of fitting it wasn't the hard part, getting enough fuel to the engine proved to be the most difficult. it is definietly possible, PM me if you decide to do it and want help.
Very cool, thanks!

Anyone have any info on how to non-destructively remove the dome light?

·
Registered
26 Posts
i would just do the whole wd-40 spray..i used on mine just to make it smother and it did some good..i just had my locks replaced since i had a key stolen so my locks are awesome now..hehe..

·
Registered
85 Posts
i had this prob an a remote entry fixed it a treat , i just struggled to get the blinkers to flash when i opened it which i easy on us models cause yours are wired into the light switch . the remote unit is easiest put into the boot an u can get one for about 30 bucks

·
Registered
174 Posts
did you try and use some graphite lube spray on the locks that will work better than WD-40 due to the fact that it will not dry off and dissipate.

·
Registered
56 Posts
WD40 will also dissolve the grease in the lock mechanisms. MUCH better idea to use the Graphite Lube! Bike chain lube also works well. :thumbup:

did you try and use some graphite lube spray on the locks that will work better than WD-40 due to the fact that it will not dry off and dissipate.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I forgot I had these from changing the timing belt last weekend. You don't get a good look at the car, but they are fun.
Body wise, the rear spoiler needs to be painted, and there is a tiny ding right behind the passenger door. Other than that it is solid.
...and shiny.:bigpimp:
The leather is great. There is a little wear on the left lumbar area on the driver side, but no cracks anywhere, especially the dash.
I'm not a huge fan of the aftermarket wheels, but he gave me the original wheels too. They need some cleaning up, but I figure I'll run these until the tires are gone, put the originals back on and use these for snow tires.
There is very little sun damage on the black exterior trim. By the way, what do you guys use to condition and protect the black stuff?
All in all, I'm very happy with my purchase.

Attachments

·
BMW Genius @ BMW Portland
2,198 Posts
I didn't really read this..because I'm not in the reading mood but..OP, mine did the same thing when it got down to 20 degrees F. Give or take. It took me 45 minutes to open up my car. when turning the locks, ice came out of the key hole. It sucked. I also broke my light thing on the key..when you press the button. Yeah, that's no longer there. But spray some wd-40 and it'll make it easier.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Beautiful looking IX.
Thanks. Now I just have to clean out the garage so it stays that way. :eek:

Plastic bumper conversion stat!!!
The plastic bumper E30s I've seen are pretty sweet, but I actually dig the retro chrome stock look. It's like I'm driving a shiny, red time capsule.:D

So no one knows how to pop out the dome light?

Anyone?

Anyone?

:dunno:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts