BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know how much watts is for base audio system??
If it's good enough, I would not go with logic 7......
Also, will logic 7 make a big difference????

·
Registered
126 Posts
I haven't seen anything about the base system's output. The wattage for the Logic 7 is the same as the 5 series, I'm thinking 425 or so? Check the 5 series forum - there should be a thread with some posts on that point. I've not listened to the base system but some have said it's fairly nice. The Logic 7 is supposed to be noticeably better. I suspect higher quality speakers are the biggest difference.

·
Registered
261 Posts
If Harmon Kardon rates the power of it's car audio systems the way they do their home systems, watts per cahnnel won't really be an accurate bench mark. I would take a CD down to the dealer and tale a listen. and judge for your self.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Well it shouldn't really be about loud but about clean. I doubt the logic 7 system is much louder but I'll bet it sounds better at high volume.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Oh I'm sure of that. My interest in it wasn't volume. Even the speakers in my Integra can get LOUD. Just that they crap out when its too loud.

I have no complaints about the Logic 7 after I tried it. It got louder than I would most likely need it to be and it sounded beautifully crisp and clean.

I only made that comment in response to the claimed wattage rating. Then again I could be wrong about it too. But you have to be wary of wattage ratings on speaker systems. There are several measurements that produce numbers in watts for speakers but they mean drastically different things.

Ever notice those $20 500 watt speakers at the computer show?

·
BMW + twisty road = fun
5,886 Posts
I read nothing but good things about the system upgrade, If I was buying a E90 I would get the Logic 7 system.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Artslinger said:
I read nothing but good things about the system upgrade, If I was buying a E90 I would get the Logic 7 system.
I'm not so sure about that Artslinger.

While the Logic7 is great, I'm not sure that its worth the extra $1200 on a 325. While I'm not an audio expert and I haven't done extensive testing of the Logic7, I am fairly certain you could get something as good if not better for that kind of money in the aftermarket.

As a stock stereo on the 330 though I am perfectly happy with it.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Don't even think of upgrading...

Armen52 said:

While the Logic7 is great, I'm not sure that its worth the extra $1200 on a 325. While I'm not an audio expert and I haven't done extensive testing of the Logic7, I am fairly certain you could get something as good if not better for that kind of money in the aftermarket.

Are you on crack. The New 3 is MOST fiber connected. At this point it is near impossible to upgrade the sound system in cars using MOST. Pay BMW to do it right. Also, to the guy above posting about it not being that loud remember that a 400 watt system will only sound twice as loud as a 50 watt system with the same speakers. It will sound much more dynamic at a reasonable volume.

·
BMW + twisty road = fun
5,886 Posts
Armen52 said:

Well every option a BMW is over priced but the Logic 7 and the Sport Package are two thing I'd spend my hard earned money on.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Logic 7 and MP3/WMA

I just got my new 330i with the Logic 7. What I really like is it plays MP3/WMA. I have a disk with 165 songs !! The sound is good, but I am no audio purist. I did some experimenting with the file structure and found that you need a separate folder for each artist. If you want album info, this has to go in a sub-folder. I skipped the album and put all the songs from each artist/group in 1 folder. The software is somewhat brain dead as once you select a folder, it will only play those songs until you scroll back up. Anybody else found a better way?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Armen52 said:

Generally speaking, you can't replace the head unit on a car with digital climate control without major $/work because they are jointly wired. So, changing speakers or adding a line amp are the only real upgrade alternatives. Most people who pay that much for a car don't want to sink more into a sound system (it's not like a '70 Camaro).

From what I've read and heard from 5 series owners, Logic 7 is supposed to be close to Lexus' Mark Levinson and Acura's ELS systems in quality. Those are regarded as the best factory systems around and would be as good as or better than aftermarket unless one wants to pay major cash.

The wattage is actaully 420: 40 on each main channel and 70 per subwoofer.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
I am going for the 330i with Logic 7, but I did read on one of BMWNA's marketing memos that the stock sound system was definitely upgraded from the E46. But I have not heard it.

·
Le fabuleux destin
568 Posts
The stock is definitely better than on the e46. It's pretty good (I used to be a hard core recording engineer so I have some street cred in this area). What did impress me the most about it was the bottom end. I actually had to check if maybe they had snuck in sub woofers when no-one was looking.

·
Registered
126 Posts
bmwaustin said:
I believe the 330i has 300+ watts of power.
Are you sure? The logic 7 appears to be the same system as in the 5 series = same size and number of speakers ands subs. I doubt they would have spent the money to develop a different smaller system just for the 3 when it's so easy to just use the 5 series gear.

I think the stock 325 system has 300 or so watts. The BMW dealers manual says the Logic 7 has increased power over the stock system, just as in the 5 series.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Blax said:
The stock is definitely better than on the e46. It's pretty good (I used to be a hard core recording engineer so I have some street cred in this area). What did impress me the most about it was the bottom end. I actually had to check if maybe they had snuck in sub woofers when no-one was looking.
They did! Both systems use subs.

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
johnjwkim said:
Does anyone know how much watts is for base audio system??
If it's good enough, I would not go with logic 7......
Also, will logic 7 make a big difference????
Peak rating is useless, you need the RMS rating.

·
When will then be now?
836 Posts
I spent some time in a 330 with the Logic 7 a few days ago and came away very impressed. I flattened the EQ and turned off any DSP settings I could find before performing my listening tests. The sound is very clean and neutral with a good front soundstage. Bass is remarkably tight and accurate, free of the "boominess" that I typically hear in most factory systems. Bass extension is excellent, with solid output down to about, say, 35hz. My test was limited to orchestral pieces, but my overall impression of the sound was quite positive. Next time, I'll have to bring in a CD with a more diverse selection of music.

On the question of whether or not it's worth $1200, my personal opinion is, yes, it's worth it. True, you can probably attain sound that is superior to the Logic 7 with an aftermarket setup, but I don't believe you can do it with just $1200.

- Michael

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
Demo CD suggestion for basic vs Logic7 system: Album: Jagged Little Pill, Alanis Morrisette: go to last track and wait for the long silence...there is an often missed a cappella song hidden here. Select "concert hall" mode and turn up the volume. Then you'll see why this is worth $1200. You'd swear Alanis was in the passenger seat.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts