Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I recently changed my oil using Mobile 1 5w-30. This was listed in owner's manual as being OK. However my mechanic said I need to use one rated BMW long life, and pointed to Mobile 1's website. There's a version of 5w-40 with it available.

I have two questions:
1) if long life was critical why was it not mentioned in owner's manual?
2) what is the tradeoff using mobile 1 5w30 vs mobile 1 5w-40 rated long life? I want to decide if I should do another oil change to get the "right" one in there. I would prefer to just wait until a shorter interval to do it but not sure when that would be since computer tells you when to do oil change.

Thanks!

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
Good oils meet ACEA (European) spec's. Great oils meet BMW Long Life spec's. Mobil has recently improved a lot of their Mobil 1 oils to meet various ACEA specs. My 2014 BMW requires the ACEA A3/B3 spec. But, the same car as a 2016 requires either a BMW LL-01 or BMW LL-01FE oil. BMW upgraded their oil requirements when they switched from Castrol (BP) to Shell as their oil supplier in 2015 or 2016.

BMW doesn't recommend LL-04 oils for gasoline engines in the U.S., because U.S. gasoline has high sulfur content, higher than U.S. diesel fuel. The only Mobil 1 oil I saw with LL spec's was Mobil 1 ESP which has a BMW LL-04 certification. Mobil says Mobil 1 ESP is good for gasoline engines, though. But, I trust the company who makes the engine more than the company that makes the oil.

I use BMW-branded LL's in our two BMW's. It's about $9/liter on-line. One of the things I like about it is that it's made from natural gas, using gas-to-liquid (GTL) technology. GTL's are less volatile than other synthetics, meaning they evaporate less. Evaporated oil is what causes carbon build-up on the intakes ports and intake valves of direct injected engines. Shell sells automotive oil in the U.S. under their Pennzoil brand. Pennzoil's Platinum synthetics are GTL's. I use that in our non-BMW's.

If what's in your engine now is an ACEA A3/B3, you're fine. But, there are better oils out there. It the last batch of Mobil 1 put in wasn't ACEA rated, doing the next oil change early might be a good idea.

Many people don't trust BMW's 10k or 11k drain intervals. I do mine at 8k. I've run a lot of cars to over 100k miles on 8k mile (synthetic) oil drain intervals, and they were still running great and spotless inside.

The difference between a 5W-30 and a 5W-40 is that the 5W-40 has a higher viscosity. Ten points on the SAE viscosity index equals about 15 degrees F. So, a 5W-40 at 225 degrees F will have roughly the same viscosity as a 5W-30 at 210 degrees F. Unless you're towing a trailer, chasing speeders, or going on the track, you're fine with 5W-30, but the 5W-40 won't hurt you except for a very minor decrease in fuel economy.

Attachments

·
Registered
312 Posts
Castrol Edge 0w-40 Euro Synthetic is BMW LL-01. Walmart has this in 5 QT jugs for about $25. Change it at least once a year, or every 5000, 7500, or 10,000 (you pick). Keep it full and clean, don't over think it.

Other then that it comes down to how much you wanna spend.

Pennzoil Euro 5w-30 (Not L) is another choice, but hard to find at a good price.
Castrol Edge 0w-30 Euro, is another choice, I have only seen this in 1QT bottles
Liquid Moly is also another choice.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
2) what is the tradeoff using mobile 1 5w30 vs mobile 1 5w-40 rated long life? I want to decide if I should do another oil change to get the "right" one in there. I would prefer to just wait until a shorter interval to do it but not sure when that would be since computer tells you when to do oil change.

Thanks!
1) The owner's manual basically assumes you don't know a box end wrench from a screwdriver, so about the only information it give is... use BMW oil (which, at the time of publication met the LL-01 spec). So, it DOES mention LL-01 oil .... just not directly.

2) M1 5W-30 is too thin to meet the BMW spec. However, LOTS of people on BMW forums have admitted using it, and to the best of my knowledge, no one's engine blew up because of it. As you suggested, just don't run it for 15,000 miles (half that is probably good), and you'll be fine (assuming your not towing, tracking, or otherwise severely stressing your engine).

Next oil change, I would look for an oil that meets the LL-01 spec. The current economical choice is Castrol 0W-40 in 5 qt. jugs from Walmart or Amazon. There are getting to be fewer and fewer economical choices available meeting that spec.

AM.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good oils meet ACEA (European) spec's. Great oils meet BMW Long Life spec's. Mobil has recently improved a lot of their Mobil 1 oils to meet various ACEA specs. My 2014 BMW requires the ACEA A3/B3 spec. But, the same car as a 2016 requires either a BMW LL-01 or BMW LL-01FE oil. BMW upgraded their oil requirements when they switched from Castrol (BP) to Shell as their oil supplier in 2015 or 2016.

BMW doesn't recommend LL-04 oils for gasoline engines in the U.S., because U.S. gasoline has high sulfur content, higher than U.S. diesel fuel. The only Mobil 1 oil I saw with LL spec's was Mobil 1 ESP which has a BMW LL-04 certification. Mobil says Mobil 1 ESP is good for gasoline engines, though. But, I trust the company who makes the engine more than the company that makes the oil.

I use BMW-branded LL's in our two BMW's. It's about $9/liter on-line. One of the things I like about it is that it's made from natural gas, using gas-to-liquid (GTL) technology. GTL's are less volatile than other synthetics, meaning they evaporate less. Evaporated oil is what causes carbon build-up on the intakes ports and intake valves of direct injected engines. Shell sells automotive oil in the U.S. under their Pennzoil brand. Pennzoil's Platinum synthetics are GTL's. I use that in our non-BMW's.

If what's in your engine now is an ACEA A3/B3, you're fine. But, there are better oils out there. It the last batch of Mobil 1 put in wasn't ACEA rated, doing the next oil change early might be a good idea.

Many people don't trust BMW's 10k or 11k drain intervals. I do mine at 8k. I've run a lot of cars to over 100k miles on 8k mile (synthetic) oil drain intervals, and they were still running great and spotless inside.

The difference between a 5W-30 and a 5W-40 is that the 5W-40 has a higher viscosity. Ten points on the SAE viscosity index equals about 15 degrees F. So, a 5W-40 at 225 degrees F will have roughly the same viscosity as a 5W-30 at 210 degrees F. Unless you're towing a trailer, chasing speeders, or going on the track, you're fine with 5W-30, but the 5W-40 won't hurt you except for a very minor decrease in fuel economy.
This is great info thanks for sharing! Where did you find that your 2014 BMW required ACEA A3/B3? My original issue was that I didn't see it in my owner's manual or service guide.

Also I found this PDF that was like an "engine oil 101" - very helpful as well.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
1) The owner's manual basically assumes you don't know a box end wrench from a screwdriver, so about the only information it give is... use BMW oil (which, at the time of publication met the LL-01 spec). So, it DOES mention LL-01 oil .... just not directly.

2) M1 5W-30 is too thin to meet the BMW spec. However, LOTS of people on BMW forums have admitted using it, and to the best of my knowledge, no one's engine blew up because of it. As you suggested, just don't run it for 15,000 miles (half that is probably good), and you'll be fine (assuming your not towing, tracking, or otherwise severely stressing your engine).

Next oil change, I would look for an oil that meets the LL-01 spec. The current economical choice is Castrol 0W-40 in 5 qt. jugs from Walmart or Amazon. There are getting to be fewer and fewer economical choices available meeting that spec.

AM.
This is perfect thank you. I'll make sure to get the right kind next oil change. The only time I stress the engine is either in sports drive or going up hills / mountains where I live. But the latter is pretty limited.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Hi I recently changed my oil using Mobile 1 5w-30. This was listed in owner's manual as being OK. However my mechanic said I need to use one rated BMW long life, and pointed to Mobile 1's website. There's a version of 5w-40 with it available.

I have two questions:

Thanks!
@ xivagrey.....I used to use M1 oil's in all my BMW's. Recently, BMW switched to the new Shell oils made from natural gas, which is suppose to be the "cleanest" oil produced. You can buy this oil from Penzzoil which they have an BMW approved LL-01 EURO grade in 5W30, which is
PENNZOIL PLATINUM®
EURO SAE 5W-30 FULL SYNTHETIC
MOTOR OIL meets or exceeds the performance requirements
of API SL/CF and ACEA A3/B3-10, A3/B4-10

You can buy this on line at WalMart & have it shipped to your house (shipping free) if you buy 2 (5) qt jugs @ $22.68 each here
I have been very pleased with it in my '07 X3, 05 E46 ZHP & 01 E39 540i M sport
Got to the link & see the different grades & specs.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
RAV - the listing on walmart.com for that oil is a bit confusing. If it is, indeed, Euro (not Euro L), then it is the LL-01 approved oil. If it is actually Euro L, then it's an LL-04 approved oil which is not ideal for use in gasoline engines here in the US. Have you ordered it and can confirm that they shipped you the Euro (not Euro L) version? If so, that's a great find.

AM.

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
This is great info thanks for sharing! Where did you find that your 2014 BMW required ACEA A3/B3? My original issue was that I didn't see it in my owner's manual or service guide.

Also I found this PDF that was like an "engine oil 101" - very helpful as well.
My owners manual says to use BMW High Performance Synthetic, BMW LL-01, or BMW LL-01FE. The old BMW High Performance oil was an ACEA A3/B3, but not BMW LL-01.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
No one in America stresses their BMW engines, they just like to think they do.

Set your oil change interval by sending in a sample to Blackstone at 5000 miles and seeing how much oil life is left.

Adjust accordingly.

Or just change at 7500 miles for 99% of the population

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
RAV - the listing on walmart.com for that oil is a bit confusing. If it is, indeed, Euro (not Euro L), then it is the LL-01 approved oil. If it is actually Euro L, then it's an LL-04 approved oil which is not ideal for use in gasoline engines here in the US. Have you ordered it and can confirm that they shipped you the Euro (not Euro L) version? If so, that's a great find.

AM.
I'll answer my own question. I thought this issue seemed familiar and it turns out we went through this very issue concerning Pennzoil Euro L in this thread: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1255962

Unless it has changed, the product referenced from walmart.com is the L version which is not really recommended for gasoline engines in the US. I don't understand why WMT and Pennzoil don't offer the regular Euro LL-01 approved version, but I looked all over the place online for it with no luck.

AFAIK, the 0W-40 Castrol Edge is still the best value in LL-01 oils. If that Pennzoil Euro 5W-30 was available at a reasonable cost, I would certainly switch to it.

AM.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Castrol EDGE 0W-40 A3/B4, European Formula, is priced well at Walmart/Amazon Prime.

LL-01 certified and under $25 for 5 quart container.

There is also a 5W-30 version that costs much more. Not sure it is worth the extra money?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update here.

Called 3 local BMW service centers - when I asked what oil to use, they either said Castrol or Penzoil. When I asked if Mobile 1 5w-30 was OK, they all said yes no issues at all.

So the story I'm getting is that the official BMW oil used was Castrol, and now it's Shell (Penzoil), as others have mentioned on this thread. However, mobile 1 was also supported.

My local mechanic said running for 5k miles should be fine, then get the LL-01 stuff next time.

Why the owner's manual didn't just keep things simple and recommend Castrol is beyond me :dunno:

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Think how much is spent to convince people to choose Coke over Pepsi.

Now imagine you can your Doctor to recommend one over the other.

Thats the relationship between car makers and oil companies.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I run Rotella T 5W40 with a can of mos2 and ATP-205...car returns 21MPG, smooth and quite...with 0 oil consumption....0 leaks. Prior to Rotella T, MOS2 and ATP205...I had a slight rear main leak and oil filter housing leak with BMW spec oil and it was eating a quart every 2000-2500 miles...take it for what its worth but my E83 loves Rotella T 5W40.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Response i received from Castrol.

***8220;Thank you for contacting Castrol North America.

The Castrol EDGE 0W-40 A3/B4 formulation has not changed, only the decision to continue to pursue BMW LongLife LL-01 approval for the formula and the brand.

We always advise that customers follow owner***8217;s manual recommendations.

In turn, if you want a current BMW LongLife LL-01 approved oil, both Castrol EDGE 5W-40 and Castrol EDGE 5W-30 A3/B4 oils sold retail are BMW LongLife LL-01 approved.

Castrol Consumer Relations***8220;

·
Anti-Hack
4,784 Posts
Response i received from Castrol.

"Thank you for contacting Castrol North America.

The Castrol EDGE 0W-40 A3/B4 formulation has not changed, only the decision to continue to pursue BMW LongLife LL-01 approval for the formula and the brand.

We always advise that customers follow owner's manual recommendations.

In turn, if you want a current BMW LongLife LL-01 approved oil, both Castrol EDGE 5W-40 and Castrol EDGE 5W-30 A3/B4 oils sold retail are BMW LongLife LL-01 approved.

Castrol Consumer Relations"
That's the most factual thing I've read here in a while. Kudos! :thumbup:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts