BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I'm in the military and have an upcoming deployment in the next few months. Could be anywhere from 4 mos to well over 7 mos. I'm wondering being as I live in West Texas where the weather is pretty nice most of the time, hardly rains, and you really only need to worry about high winds, and I live in a dormitory where I don't have access to a structure to park my car in, would I be ok to get the custom car cover from BMW to protect my baby against the elements for however long I'm gone. Not worried about vandalism as I live on a military base and there are cameras everywhere, plus have good insurance, or should I shell out good money every month to keep it stored somewhere. I know most people would opt for the latter, just wondering what you all think about my situation and any advice you could give would be awesome. Thanks!

·
Registered
717 Posts
Hey all, I'm in the military and have an upcoming deployment in the next few months. Could be anywhere from 4 mos to well over 7 mos. I'm wondering being as I live in West Texas where the weather is pretty nice most of the time, hardly rains, and you really only need to worry about high winds, and I live in a dormitory where I don't have access to a structure to park my car in, would I be ok to get the custom car cover from BMW to protect my baby against the elements for however long I'm gone. Not worried about vandalism as I live on a military base and there are cameras everywhere, plus have good insurance, or should I shell out good money every month to keep it stored somewhere. I know most people would opt for the latter, just wondering what you all think about my situation and any advice you could give would be awesome. Thanks!
Some years back I lived in Houston for 2 years, and spent some time in West Texas. I am certainly not an expert, but one thing that would bother me is leaving the car in the baking sun, unprotected for 4 to 7 months. I would likely try for covered storage.

You will for sure face a dead battery on return, but I assume you know all about that and take steps to avoid it.

·
Giant Robot
608 Posts
Lend the car to a buddy or family member you trust. Sitting for that long is bad for cars.

·
///Monkeyazz Duck
7,818 Posts
Well I think it could be much worse than a dead battery. Your tires will get squared off, all the crap will settle out of suspension in your oil and tranny fluid, and god knows what critters will make a home in your car.

I think you would be FAR better off finding some cute 25 year old blonde hard body, handing her the keys, and having her blow the cobwebs out once a week or so.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Well I think it could be much worse than a dead battery. Your tires will get squared off, all the crap will settle out of suspension in your oil and tranny fluid, and god knows what critters will make a home in your car.

I think you would be FAR better off finding some cute 25 year old blonde hard body, handing her the keys, and having her blow the cobwebs out once a week or so.
Maybe his gf will do the search for the blond for him. LOL

·
Banned
314 Posts
I'm also in the military, deployed right now as a matter of fact. I require me wife to drive my car to work at least twice a week (she hates driving it because its not an SUV that sits up high) In fact BMW won't honor the warranty of the battery in the car if it has not been driven at least 300 miles a month. Like these guys say you need to take the car home and let your parents or someone you trust drive it work at least twice a week.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts