BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Think Snow!
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(Sorry for the length. Some of this is just venting. Maybe this goes in da Flame?)

On Saturday I parked in a spot I just knew I shouldn't have. It was next to a big, Lincoln Towncar with a bunch of dry cleaning hanging in the back. I did my errand and come out to see the Lincoln there, the dry cleaning gone, and a ding in my driver's side rear door.

A few doors down is a bagel place that also runs a limo service out of the shop. I wander in and the owner recognizes me as I buy bagels there sometimes. I ask if he is still in the limo business and if that's his Lincoln. He says yes and asks if I need a ride. I tell him what I need is my door fixed. He can't belive one of his guys did it and turns to a man in an apron, presumably the baker/chauffeur, who immediately denies any wrong doing. I explain that the dry cleaning was there and now it's gone so someone was in the Lincoln in the past half hour. Mr. Chauffeur does admit this. We go outside and he's denying it left and right and even has the nads to say it wasn't him when we do a test with his door. It couldn't line up any better, and I can clearly see there is blue paint on his black door at the exact height where I am missing blue paint. I've seen enough episodes of CSI to figure this one out.

Now the owner finally comes out and he to tries to deny it telling me the door and scratch don't line up. Now I am really pissed. They are lying right to my face and after much back and forth (amazingly I was able to keep my cool) the owner asks what we should do. My first reaction is to ask him to pay for the touch-up paint but he refuses. He counters by saying "his guy" would take care of it. With this "offer" I know he knows it's his fault. Still, not very reassuring. I get the number of his guy, tell Mr. Bagels that his guy better be expecting me when I call, and I go hoping it will all work out.

As I expected, when I called his guy on Monday he had no idea who I was. Fortunately he sounded very nice. I am going to go down to see him later today and get his opinion.

So, it's your basic door ding. About the size of my pinky nail, scratch in the paint that I can feel, with a slight indent. Some touch up paint applied by experienced hands should hide it. What would you guys do? Go to the "pro" (with the understanding that Mr. Bagel is paying) and let him do it or do it yourself (my past attempts at touching up other cars have left a less than perfect splotch) or just leave it?

·
Registered
290 Posts
That sux dude. I was a victim of a hit and run about 2 weeks ago - it is a rage inspiring experience. I would get a check for your deductible before making a move (assuming you are going to claim it on your insurance).

My $.02

·
Think Snow!
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No. No claim. I just need a little touch up. Either the bagel guy is paying for the repair or I'll leave it alone. It's more aggravating than anything. Esp. knowing that the Lincoln driver was so inconsiderate. I am sure he just flings his doors open where ever he is.

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
You know, the sad thing is, if either the chauffeur or the bagel store owner fess up to the ding, things will probably go a lot smoother.

During one of my college summer jobs, I accidentally bumped into a co-worker's brand new Nissan Maxima and left a small but noticeable dent. A few days later I saw her and told her about the dent and she was actually kinda happy that 1) she figured out which PRICK put that dent in her brand new car and 2) that I actually owned up to my mistake that she decided to not press further and just left it at that.

If someone DID put a small dent on my car like that, and is willing to own up to it, I'd probably just let him go. :dunno:

·
Think Snow!
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The HACK said:
If someone DID put a small dent on my car like that, and is willing to own up to it, I'd probably just let him go. :dunno:
You are right on the money! A few times I asked the guys to at least give me the curtesy of admiting it. They wouldn't. I even got "I'm not saying he did it but I'll have my guy fix it." Give me a break.

I walked out of the bagel shop thinking that if they had just appologized and been friendly about it I would have waived the whole thing off.

A free bagel would have been nice too.

·
Banned
9,901 Posts
Okay, so my wife and I are saints :angel: :angel:

I'm very strongly principled about this, and have been criticized by people in the past for my behavior. However, my daddy taught me that integrity is an internal thing, and therefore who and what you are is measured against an internal yardstick, not in comparison to what other people do. For that reason, I sleep very well at night.

Both my wife and I have each, on two separate occasions over the years, left notes on windshields with contact information and a complete confession after accidentally door-dinging (to be fair to my wife, it was the fault of the lil' spuds, but I digress). In all cases, the dings were relatively minor, and in the case of both of mine, the victim vehicles were -- well, let's say they weren't up to the appearance standards of the crowd here, and it would be hard to find the dings among all the other blemishes ;)

Honesty pays. In three of the four cases, the owners were so amazed that we fessed up, in absentia, that they told us to forget about it, and by the way "thank you".

Never heard from the other owner.

·
Banned
9,901 Posts
dwallersv said:
Honesty pays. In three of the four cases, the owners were so amazed that we fessed up, in absentia, that they told us to forget about it, and by the way "thank you".
And by the way, just for the record I haven't dinged anyone with my Bimmer. Not really because I'm more careful (always was, but those dang stops in car door hinges are difficult to manage some times), but rather because I park out in uncharted regions of parking lots wherever I go, to avoid all the other dinging idiots out there.

Think I may have lost a pound or two as a side benefit, with all that walking. Gotta retread the sneakers now.

·
Banned
9,901 Posts
Had to post one more time 'cause I noticed that with that last one I passed ERK in post count. This puts me up by two! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

·
Think Snow!
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
dwallersv said:
And by the way, just for the record I haven't dinged anyone with my Bimmer. Not really because I'm more careful (always was, but those dang stops in car door hinges are difficult to manage some times), but rather because I park out in uncharted regions of parking lots wherever I go, to avoid all the other dinging idiots out there.

Think I may have lost a pound or two as a side benefit, with all that walking. Gotta retread the sneakers now.
I usually park out in Guam and take the long walk across the lot but for some reason went against instinct that day. I even thought about moving the car after I parked it.

(Now you've only got me by one. :D )

·
OMGWTFBBQ
11,262 Posts
DougDogs said:

:thumbup: :thumbup: two thumbs up Hack! 99% of the time the person doing the "dinging" isn't doing it on purpose. It usaully is an unfortunate accident, and should be handled that way.

Hit and Run, with seroius damage is one thing, but door dings are a fact of life.
And most of us here probably take some steps at least some of the time to prevent dings inflicted on our cars (some of us are more obsessive about it than others).

That said, let me throw out a hypothetical...you semi regularly park in a garage. The spots are tight, so you drive your Bui...er, beater because even though you usually get there early enough to get an end spot (with it's extra room) sometimes you don't. So, on one given day, when you get to the garage, you see that someone is parked in the end spot and someone else is in the third spot over with the middle spot empty. You pull into it (front first), feed the meter and go catch your train. When you get back late that hot, humid summer day after 30 minutes on a packed subway with a non working A/C unit you find that the car that was parked in the end spot has been replaced by another car. The driver of this other car, having decided that the lines between spaces were nothing more than guidelines, has not left enough room between his car and yours that you can open the driver door and get into your car. The car in the spot on the other side is the same one that was there before you arrived in the morning. Being the concientious driver that you are, there is enough room to get into your car from the passenger side without dinging that car.

So, the question is ...do you feel good when, after squirming into the driver's seat in your car, you open your driver's door with as much force as you can muster and dent the hell out of the car next to you or do you feel bad because there was so little room that there wasn't enough space to build enough momentum to make a dent as large as you would have liked? How about when you back up six inches and do it again? :dunno:

:angel:

·
Think Snow!
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
[snip]
So, the question is ...do you feel good when, after squirming into the driver's seat in your car, you open your driver's door with as much force as you can muster and dent the hell out of the car next to you or do you feel bad because there was so little room that there wasn't enough space to build enough momentum to make a dent as large as you would have liked? How about when you back up six inches and do it again? :dunno:

Denting the SOBs door with yours is NOT the answer. For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. You will dent your door too.

Letting the air out of his tires is more appropriate. ;)

·
OMGWTFBBQ
11,262 Posts
DougDogs said:
Clyde, as long as we are speaking "hypothetically" why bother with using whats left of my strength after a long day???
A therapeutic outlet of stress and tension.

I have my bruiser, I start the engine, get that Detroit V-8 powered up, (turn on the A/C) Put that big hydroglide in reverse, and let my bumper do the work:lmao: :D

To do that would require twice as many shifts into and out of the wonderful gears of "R" and "D" than required by leaving the scene (not to mention extra steering motions of the 112 turn lock to lock no feel wheel). Perhaps most important...though not impossible, plausible deniability becomes that much harder to attain. :D

·
OMGWTFBBQ
11,262 Posts
ERK said:

Denting the SOBs door with yours is NOT the answer. For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. You will dent your door too.

Letting the air out of his tires is more appropriate. ;)
Completely unrelated thread hijack here...

For all the b1tching I do about the Buick (shudder), the rubber on the side moldings is remarkably blemish free after all these years. :yikes:

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
HYPOTHETICALLY speaking, the E46 coupe can leave behind some very NASTY dents. The side molding is solid plastic with a very sharp point at the edge. Slam the door open hard enough you can leave a HOLE on sheet metal, while all you need to replace is the side molding.

Not that I would do it to anyone...But watch the f**k out when you park THAT close to me, because the coupe doors are incredibly LONG...:mad: :angel:

I've managed, in 2+ years of co-existence in a very small garage, to not put ANY dents on my wife's coupe (and vice versa). Now where's that "fingers crossed" emoticon?

·
Registered
94 Posts
I understand your pain.

Went to Lowes, parked in a good spot with cars on either side far enough away. Come out and the car on the left had left and in that space now sat a old ratty white SUV parked at an angle. I commented on the great parking job to my S.O. but didn't think to check for a ding.

Go to the car wash and as it's getting dried I see this big ding in the drivers door with white paint embedded in it. :mad:

I was able to was the paint out, but ding lives.

I wish I had seen this before I left Lowes.

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
When I park away from the crowd but yet not so far to stand out, I usually find another Bimmer or well taken care of car next to me. Occaisionally there is a POS car there, but to my amazement they too give a wide berth. Must be my good karma. :angel:

·
Brevity= the soul of wit
11,589 Posts
sdwolff said:
I understand your pain.
I was able to was the paint out, but ding lives.
This is key- If you have some blue paint on *your* car, it is likely that it didn't scratch through the clear coat. I will almost bet that rather than cover the blue with touchup, you attempt to use some light paint cleanser to clean off the blue paint.

Then, take the car to your local Dent Doctor. I have taken mine twice. ~$50 for a ding and you can't tell either ding was there.

My two dings are very different stories:

The first ding actually happened in a BMW dealership lot while I was at a CCA meet! Some jacka$$ was pinking up his new silver 5 series and I thought, Wow, cool- his wife drives a silver X5 4.4, so I was *watching* from inside the dealership as he flings the rear door into my car! I confronted him immediately and he *denied* it! I told him I WACTHED him do it and he denied it!:mad:

Got his office number from some connections and he never returned my call. He was a DOCTOR! I was upset until I learned that it was only $50 to repair it.

The second one was outside a pizza joint and I noticed the ding right away as I approached. I was headed back into the place when a guy came out shaking his head and saying, "It was me, I'm a dumbass, I'm sorry." etc I told him, "Well, it costs $50 to take a ding out, and the Dent Doctor is right around the corner. You wanna pay me or him?"

The guy says, "No problem." Walks across the street, hits an ATM and comes back with $50. The dent was gone in less than an hour. :thumbup:

·
Registered
279 Posts
The HACK said:

Care to put that theory of yours to the test, Dan. :lmao:
I dunno if I could be so forgiving. If the "dinger" fessed up to it, I'd take the car to a shop to be fixed proper, with them footing the bill. If they didn't fess up and the evidence was overwhelming, I'd get their plate # and pay 'em back for the ding later. If you're careless or inconsiderate, you need to face the music and deal with the consequences like a man.....or lady. Those who don't take responsibility are nothing more than insects, and should be stomped accordingly. :D

BTW - Still waiting. I'll let you know when the "merchandise" arrives.

·
Banned
9,901 Posts
Warning... This is disgusting

If you're really feeling vengeful, climb on the hood and take a dump in the cabin air intake area right at the bottom of the windshield, then squish it down through the grill.

Happened to an acquantance (and no, I'd never do anything like that), but boy was it effective. Car smelled like sh*t for months after a meticulous cleaning, flushing, deodorizing. I suggested he just torch the thing and move on.

Shades of Seinfeld...

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
Damon said:

Care to put that theory of yours to the test, Dan. :lmao:
I dunno if I could be so forgiving. If the "dinger" fessed up to it, I'd take the car to a shop to be fixed proper, with them footing the bill. If they didn't fess up and the evidence was overwhelming, I'd get their plate # and pay 'em back for the ding later. If you're careless or inconsiderate, you need to face the music and deal with the consequences like a man.....or lady. Those who don't take responsibility are nothing more than insects, and should be stomped accordingly. :D

BTW - Still waiting. I'll let you know when the "merchandise" arrives.
Cool. There's another Southland Techsession coming up at the end of November, maybe you can stop by and we can all work together. See the DIY section for more information.

Honestly? Someone rear-ended me in my old integra when it was relatively new. It was hard enough to leave two scratches where the screw held on to their license plate. We pulled over to exchange insurance information, she admitted guilt and was very apologetic, said to contact her insurance to get everything taken care of...etc. I inspected the damage and thought nothing of it and told her that I won't be pursuing any further action and that was that.

Now, if she was aggressive and would not admit fault, I'd probably take her to court to fix a $100 worth of damage. :dunno:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts