BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2008 328i purchased new. Built in Bavaria, not South Africa. The following are facts but relationship may be coincidental.

No problems until recall performed. Wrong wiring installed in restraint system (previous year?) Over remainder of warranty, multiple trips to dealer due to restraint system malfunction alarm (150 mile round trip). On one occasion, alarm recurred half way home. On another occasion, the alarm reoccurred when service person was bringing the car to turn it back to us. They "fixed" it once more after warranty expiration. Problem continues. Local independent says code indicates problem is with passenger seat air bag. Computer expects 4 ohms but doesn't find it. Sometimes it will reset, sometimes it won't. Last fall, it reset and stayed reset until the first hot day in the spring. Wouldn't reset in summer. The weather has cooled off again now (October) but still won't reset.

I can replace the airbag using a local body shop but have no confidence that the $500 plus would solve the problem.

If the problem is low resistance between frayed wires, it could be either side of the connector so replacing the airbag might get the wrong side of the connector. The bigger question is could the fault prevent the other airbags from deploying?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Forum Use Training

Keine Anschluss unter diese Nummer. 4 Months and no response. Was I not holding my mouth right? How about some hints on what I did wrong.:dunno:

·
Lost but making good time
'11 335xi; '03 330Ci
5,658 Posts
The bigger question is could the fault prevent the other airbags from deploying?
Any fault that illuminates the airbag warning light disables the entire Supplementary Restraint System (SRS). No airbags will deploy.

Beyond that, sorry, I have nothing useful.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts