BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. In July we'll be doing a road trip of approx 1300 miles.

The car is an E91 Touring with 155k on the clock. It had an oil service last month.

Is there anything preventative I should be looking at?

Also is there anything I can check on the springs/coils? Here in the UK, potholes and bumps are making driving a nightmare and I'm worried about Spring failure.

Any tips, however small, much appreciated. I'd rather not take the car into the garage giving them carte Blanche 'could you give the car a look over' ($$$) ;)

·
Banned
10,015 Posts
Hi all. In July we'll be doing a road trip of approx 1300 miles.

The car is an E91 Touring with 155k on the clock. It had an oil service last month.

Is there anything preventative I should be looking at?

Also is there anything I can check on the springs/coils? Here in the UK, potholes and bumps are making driving a nightmare and I'm worried about Spring failure.

Any tips, however small, much appreciated. I'd rather not take the car into the garage giving them carte Blanche 'could you give the car a look over' ($$$) ;)
For comfort and confidence, I'd look at Koni FSD shocks, and OEM Sport or yellow performance springs. If you have the sport suspension there's no need to buy new springs. No, they won't break.

While you're in there replace rear subframe bushings with M3 bushings.

Suddenly your ride is much better than it was when new, and potholes are, well, no problem at all......

·
Registered
8,080 Posts
Check the belt tensioner/belt. If the belt is walking off the tensioner pulley, the tensioner is failing. Also if oil is leaking from the oil filter housing gasket, that could throw the belt so I would get that sorted too.

Get an air compressor, a jack, breaker bar, and set of plugs in case of a flat. Pack some zip ties and water as well. I always have these things in my car any where I go.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks fdriller, good tips.

Calwaterboy- thanks... Is there anything I can check at the moment on the car in terms of cracks in the springs etc?

·
Registered
66 Posts
I recently did a 2,000 mile road trip and brought a litre of oil, some BMW coolant, an extra coil, a compressor and an ARB patch kit. Didn't have to use any of it but glad I had it.

·
Registered
8,080 Posts
Ohh yes oil is good thing to have too. Forgot that. I always keep a quart with me as well.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good point!!
Any feedback on checking springs?

·
458 Posts
nickr1985: For my longer distance driving I take along essentially what friller9 and rtn1911 have recommended. In addition, I always check the windshield washer fluid and wipers.

One of my recent touring trips was 5.7 thousand miles, in a 330xi. By chance, before the trip, the coolant pump needed replacement, and it was convenient to replace at the same time the serpentine belt, the idler, and the tensioner. For this particular trip I also took a liter of coolant because I though that the coolant bleeding, done after the pump replacement, might have left some air pockets in the cooling system. It turned out the coolant was not needed and the car gave no problems.

You've asked about springs and suspension, how to check those. I did not do anything particular about these parts before the trip.

Enjoy your touring and good luck.

·
BruceJ
122 Posts
Inspect your cooling system for leaks. Short of replacing the expansion tank, water pump, thermostat, and radiator you can just keep an eye on them. Many components (expansion tank, and radiator) will give you merely a 2-3 day notice by leaking small amounts before they let go entirely and leave you on the side of the road. They typically last 80-100,000 miles and should be replaced preventively, unless you prefer a tow vehicle at inopportune times.

Otherwise, if you have the equivalent of the US AAA roadside assistance available, get it. Any car of that mileage will have some sort of breakdown eventually, and a long road trip is the worst possible time. Short of getting a new car all you can really do is what you are already doing and also mitigating the effect of a breakdown.

Have fun
Bruce

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Honestly long drives are probably the easiest thing for your car you can do with your car. Warm engine at moderate load with low average RPM? Probably the lowest chance of failure per mile of any activity possible.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts