Measuring in at three inches longer, 1.4 inches wider, and about a tenth of an inch shorter, the second generation of the BMW X4 is cashing in on that hip new trend that all the kids are partaking in: stance.

BMW will bring the second-gen X4 to us, here in the States, in two guises: X4 xDrive30i and X4 M40i.

The first will make use of BMW's four-cylinder turbo, which will make 248 hp and 258 lb-ft of torque here. That should be good for a 0-60 time of six seconds.

The X4 M40i, meanwhile, will make more like 355 hp and 365 lb-ft of torque, which should propel it to 60 in just 4.6 seconds.

New suspension settings will also lower the X4's center of gravity, which tends to manifest itself in better handling. BMW also promises better aerodynamics for better performance.

Additional standard active safety features, meanwhile, ought to make the worry wort in your family happy. With Frontal Collision Warning, City Collision Mitigation, Pedestrian Warning, City Braking, and speed limit information all ought to help the X4 rate very highly with NCAP and NHTSA.

Cloud-powered intelligent voice controls, an iDrive Touch Controller, and a 10.25-inch display should all contribute to a poor JD Power Vehicle Reliability score.

When it arrives this summer, the X4 xDrive30i will start at $51,445 and the X4 M40i will start at $61,445.