BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
Crapola, I hope that's not what my clunking is. I remember seeing your pics ages ago. Where exactly can you see (if you can) if this is what's happening?

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Kaz said:
Crapola, I hope that's not what my clunking is. I remember seeing your pics ages ago. Where exactly can you see (if you can) if this is what's happening?
Actually, I didn't notice the clunking, more like a HARSH vibration under heavy acceleration, most apparent in 2nd gear. Maybe a heavy clunk is the beggining signs.

Take a look at the diagram on p. 330-12 in the Bently manual. Mine tore at the mounting bolt where the diff hooks up on the driver's side. If I remember, it looks like a small box with a cicular thing on the end.

I'll look for a better pic.

·
10,856 Posts
Hmm... An excellent reason to crawl under the car and take a look. I don't THINK that the clunk curly identified comes from a torn subframe, though... If it does, mine is gone, too. :p

I'll try and take a look tomorrow.

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nick325xiT 5spd said:
Hmm... An excellent reason to crawl under the car and take a look. I don't THINK that the clunk curly identified comes from a torn subframe, though... If it does, mine is gone, too. :p

I'll try and take a look tomorrow.
At least you don't have to jack up the car to look under it :flipoff:

·
10,856 Posts
I still have to use ramps. My bimmer isn't THAT far away from the ground. :tsk:

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nick325xiT 5spd said:
I still have to use ramps. My bimmer isn't THAT far away from the ground. :tsk:
:p

That's true. I would say that this probably isn't a concern, unless you do lots of 6K clutch drops. You ARE putting power to all 4 wheels and I hope BMW compensated for that.

Track cars tend to tear front bits, the E36 subframe problem made its way first to early 325 track cars.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I don't have pictures to support it, but I had a similar tear in the rear of my 72' 2002 Ti

Warrenties back then were not like they are today, and I ended up having to pay for the repair. I did, however, tow it away from dealer, and had a friend's frame shop do the repair. (he cut me a break on the price, plus I trusted him better than the dealer)

I also lost the top mount for the left rear strut later in life, but that was do to rust rot, and maybe some stress from first failure

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
OK, I ramped the car and crawled underneath it last night. You can't actually see the mounts in the body, as the subframe's mount donuts are really big. However, I didn't see any bent sheetmetal or anything down there on any of the 4 mounts, thank goodness.

·
lurking
18,069 Posts
aren't the e46 rear strut towers prone to tearing too? i thought i've seen some pictures of this a while back. caused by loose rear shock mounts? which is another common e36/e46 problem

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
HW said:
aren't the e46 rear strut towers prone to tearing too? i thought i've seen some pictures of this a while back. caused by loose rear shock mounts? which is another common e36/e46 problem
I looked at it when I replaced the rear shock mounts, and I agree, this doesn't look like the sturdiest thing in the world. I put the Z3 reinforcement plates that are often recommended, in there when I did mine, and have a bit more peace-of-mind.

·
lurking
18,069 Posts
so what's the deal w/ bmw making such weak frames, putting wimpy clutches into the e46 etc. weight cutting in the wrong places? :dunno: also i was looking at the specs for the tranny a while back and looks like there is nearly no margin for upping the torque output from the engine w/o getting a new tranny (323/getrag manual).

·
Registered
595 Posts
it's not all bad.....

.....it's not as though these problems have 100% penetrance on the E46s.....remember, the new clutches are indeed, after a short time, a wear and tear item, and this fact that they appear to be "weak" saves your transmission.

the subframe failures are problematic, but it's hard to tell if this is due to hard driving (as is the case for e36m3's) or if it has to do with road conditions? i would say don't worry about it until you regularly track your car.

the weight issue: well, that's unavoidable, isn't it? they are too small to engineer out the weight right now......

....cheers from boston,

·
Here since day one
7,187 Posts
nate328Ci said:

Left rear

(I can't believe I'm on so early! I just woke up)
Thanks again Nate . . .

BTW Do you EVER leave this board ;) ;) ;) Everytime I post to your reply, you seems to always be here

another BTW: I've been up since 7am :yikes: :yikes:

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Alan F said:

Thanks again Nate . . .

BTW Do you EVER leave this board ;) ;) ;) Everytime I post to your reply, you seems to always be here

another BTW: I've been up since 7am :yikes: :yikes:
I wasn't on for most of yesterday :p

For some reason I woke up early, didn't have anything else to do :dunno:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts