BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of them monster truck wagons! Completely loaded, with slushie. :tsk: I must say over all, I like the car a lot. I am pleasently suprised with the acceleration given the fact that it is a slushie and AWD :angel: I can definetely feel the added height of the AWD, and the body roll that goes along with. If I needed a wagon, I would consider it. :thumbup:

P.S. I am glad I didn't spend extra money on the leather.

Attachments

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh yeah, I'm also driving this too! :thumbup:

Attachments

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
TranceLvr said:
P.S. I am glad I didn't spend extra money on the leather.
I like hearing that right now. I'm still questioning if I made the right decision to go with the black 'ette.

On the day I ordered my car, I was walking around the dealership touching the seats in different cars. All of them had leather, but they all sort of felt like 'ette compared to the leather in my E34. However, the 'ette feels even worse. :dunno:

What's worse, $1,500 leather that feels cheap or free 'ette that feels even cheaper? :p

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
Re: Re: Look what I'm driving today

PhilH said:

What's worse, $1,500 leather that feels cheap or free 'ette that feels even cheaper? :p
That's why I went with what was behind Door #3. :D

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

PhilH said:
I like hearing that right now. I'm still questioning if I made the right decision to go with the black 'ette.

On the day I ordered my car, I was walking around the dealership touching the seats in different cars. All of them had leather, but they all sort of felt like 'ette compared to the leather in my E34. However, the 'ette feels even worse. :dunno:

I actually didn't even notice it was leather until I looked at the invoice sticker that was in the glove box. It looked almost identical to my 'Ette. I wouldn't worry about it. :thumbup:

·
TMS
9,288 Posts

PhilH said:

Some idiot ("manager" -- yeah, whatever) at the repair shop that installed my SSK a couple of days ago managed to melt a circle into my passenger seat with his flashlight and STILL thought it was leather. It may be imitation leather, but it's a very good imitation. I'm very satisfied with my selection (the 'ette -- the shop will never see me again after they pay to reupholster my seat).

·
Here since day one
7,183 Posts
Not a bad loaner car . . . I happened to see a 330xi on the road this morning with the sports pakcage so it had the same wheels I currently have on my car (type 79's) and I was actually surprised by how high the car looked . . . I think they say it's only a 1 1/2 inches higher but it sure looks like its a lot more then that . . .

I think the xi is a great option for those that *really* want it but it looks like a 3er with a lift kit . . .

·
10,856 Posts
It is a 3'er with a lift kit. :p

·
Here since day one
7,183 Posts

PhilH said:

Phil . . I really wouldn't sweat it . . . the only reason I have the leather (again) this time around is because I wanted grey interior and some of the goodies that come with the PP package but if it were a stand alone option, I wouldn't have gotten it.

I've had a bunch of loaner cars without it and I really can't tell the difference . . .

·
...worked on the railroad
1,054 Posts

PhilH said:

I see your point, PhilH.

Right now, I'm sitting on a leather chair that I got from Staples for my home office; it's very nice and it's comfortable, but there's really no discernible difference between it and the leatherette in my 325i!

I'd saved a lot of pennies, and I just couldn't bring myself to spring for the extra $1500; as others have noted, most people can't tell the difference!

Now, I have a couple of Coach leather bags - that's leather; I wonder why only Lexus and Saab(?) have it available.

Also, the Volvo S60 T5 has a nice, extremely comfortable leather.

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
It seems there's two different types of leather available in other parts of the world for the E46.

http://ecom.bmwgroup.com/ecom25b/GB...295/-1607309387/6/7073/7073/7002/7002/7073/-1

The "leather" interior in the UK is 800 British pounds (about $1,280), and Nappa leather is 1,090 British pounds (about $1,750), while alcantara/cloth is free. I don't even see leatherette as an option there.

Anyway, the option of higher quality leather would be nice to have.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Alan F said:
I think they say it's only a 1 1/2 inches higher but it sure looks like its a lot more then that . . .

I think the xi is a great option for those that *really* want it but it looks like a 3er with a lift kit . . .
Actually, the xi is 56.5" high, and the i is 55.7", and that makes it less than an inch higher. Whatever is causing the xi to look a lot taller, it isn't the height of the car. I also cannot believe that this miniscule extra height is the cause of additional "roll" that others on this board have commented on.

The real reason why many of us opted for the xi was because of its superior handling in rain, ice, and snow...

·
Here since day one
7,183 Posts
seanwalmsley said:
Actually, the xi is 56.5" high, and the i is 55.7", and that makes it less than an inch higher. Whatever is causing the xi to look a lot taller, it isn't the height of the car. I also cannot believe that this miniscule extra height is the cause of additional "roll" that others on this board have commented on.

The real reason why many of us opted for the xi was because of its superior handling in rain, ice, and snow...
I can't believe it's only .9" difference in ride height . . . when I saw this persons 330xi and I was right behind him (and he was debadged) I couldn't beleive how high up the car looked, then when he turned and I saw the amount of space between the rear fender line and the rear wheel there was a pretty big gap especially compared to the way my 330i looks which is barely any gap . . .

BTW I think the xi looks pretty good from the side angle because the larger gaps give a better illusion of the wheel looking beefier then it does without the gap . . . this perspective is with the 205/50/17 wheels. I think the M68's need the look the regular sport suspension provides as the wheels are very beefy looking to begin with . . .

·
Adolescent On-Call
3,262 Posts
Height, leather, wheels

I don't know why the xi looks SO much higher, but it does. Nevertheless, it handles very well.

What's all this griping about the leather? The leather in my 2003 330xi is very luxurious, very leathery, and doesn't feel or look at all like the 'ette. It's not that buttery Italian leather, but I wouldn't expect that type of leather in a car seat - or want it.

And speaking of wheel appearance, I am just bonkers over the style 98s on my 330xi SP. They look huge! Here's a pic of someone else's car:

Attachments

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
seanwalmsley said:

I am not sure what the difference is, but I have always thought they looked higher. Also, when I got in the car, I noticed the height difference right away.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts